wierd thing happening with DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
so about 2 weeks ago I picked up a second dvr for the bedroom. since i plugged it in the hard drive was making some funky sounds. Didnt think to much of it, however every night between 3-5am i could hear the harddrive power up, then sound like it was seeking info, power down then to the whole cycle over again like 3-4times during the course of the night. The whole time the dvr would be powered off but the harddrive would be on. So i thought maybe its something with the box, so last night I swapped out the other dvr I had in the living room and sure enough same thing is happening. The dvr is powered off but the harddrive cycles like 3-4 times. Has anyone else had this issue? And why would this be happening?

It is just doing its updates... as I have the same thing happening to mine...CV always will do its things @ the early hours when the least number of people are using the system...& if you are up watching tv@ around 2 am. you will get an message pop-up that the DVR will power down & then ask you to hit any button to continue watching tv....just another one of CV's "magic tricks:rolleyes:" :cool:

i understand they do update but the dont do them every night. This is a nightly event. I can see it shouldnt be power cycling the hard drive the box remains power off only the hard drive spins. The updates should not effect the harddrive.

shouldnt that happen once a week and not every night? and the guide info isnt that stored in the ram of the cable box and not the harddrive just like the non dvr boxes?

A new day is added to the guide info every night, so it does it every night. Since the DVR needs the guide info it works differently then the non DVR boxes

I have the same issue and I don't think it is guide info updates. It happens multiple times a night - maybe it happens during the day and I don't notice because I am only in my bedroom when I am sleeping. TBH it is pushing me towards getting a second Tivo just to not hear that sucker spinning up.

I thought it was an issue with the box btw and I swapped it (it was a non-HD DVR) for an HD DVR. Same thing is happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)