wife's box has some different channels than mine.... wtf?

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
maybe someone can tell me what the deal is with this?

we have the same exact boxes, dish 522 DVR's...

Obviously connected to the same satellite...

But her box has cinemax, encore and some other subscription movie channels, while my box doesn't... we're not subscribed to any of those channels, so what's the deal?

Can anyone explain this?

Receiver has the channels actived by accident. My dad's 3000 had HBO for a couple of weeks and then they were gone. Can't explain it, but it does happen. If you didn't order, make sure not being billed for it. If wife's receiver is hooked to phone line, may have been ordered via the remote.

I had a situation like this, bought a 3700 reciever from a yard sale and took it home and hooked it up and it had HBO and Cinemax and had the top 180 with distant locals NY and LA, I called and added it to my account and figured on losing the channels, but never did, when it went to my account I gained Showtime, Starz, Kansas City Distants, Seattle Distants, and Multi Sports which is what i Subbed to along with the top 180 which was already active on the unit. Had all those channels until the card swap. So it may work out that you never lose them and may never get charged for any of them. Just watch your bill and see if you do. :cool:

Its a womans world buddy, have you ever been in a womans bathroom? Its like shangrila palace in some of them ( used to work in cleaning services when I was out of school ). Its an account issue and as long as your not being charged then dont worry.

Quietly swap your box with the wife's. Maybe she won't notice- ha ha. Mums the word with Dish. No reason that you shouldn't enjoy their mistake as long as you can. Had Directv a number of years ago, and had HBO & Starz free for a very long time. Nothing to feel guilty about inasmuch as we all get ripped in so many ways from all of the providers.

Its still theft of service, no matter who's fault it is. if you arent paying for it, do the right thing and call Dish.

StevenD said:
Its still theft of service, no matter who's fault it is. if you arent paying for it, do the right thing and call Dish.

But when the box was activated on the OP’s account, just because Dish screwed up doesn’t mean he has to call Dish back. When I moved (legit not “moved”) Dish screwed up and kept my old locals and added my new town’s locals. I called them twice and they said “OK. I’ll make the change” and never did. Heck, I swapped boxes and they STILL screwed it up (not that having 2 sets of locals and only paying for one is bad) :D

StevenD said:
The same way Dish has "done the right thing" to all of it's customers. If they can find a way to charge a fee, they'll do it. So many of their equipment flaws negatively affect their customers. This is one flaw that kind of pays them back.

Besides...Cinemax does have some "quality" late night programming:devil::hungry:

I had this happen when I purchase a used 942 from someone. I was only subscribed to the AT60 pack + HDpack, but he was subscribed to something like AT120 + HDpack/VOOM + showtime and HBO movie packages. After I turned it on, and made sure it was working, I called Dish and activated it to my account

I know it was activated on my account, since I could pay my bill from the receiver, but I got all of the channels that he was subscribed to for over a month.

I had no problem with it, so I never called Dish about it, and just figured that the reciever or Dish would eventually notice, and change it. I was right, and for that month I was able to record and watch a lot of movies :)

mikew said:
Besides...Cinemax does have some "quality" late night programming:devil::hungry:
yes, and since you get the west coast feeds of Skinemax with AT180, makes for some really cheap "quality" entertainment when getting up early to go to work :D

It's a grey area as far as theft is concerned with this one, if he never ordered those channels and its only showing up on one box out of two and he has called about it once already and dish has said that its a hardware problem on his end when its not then they have acknowledged that there is a problem and he is in the free and clear so far as I see it. Thing is is that its not a hardware problem on his end, its a bug that shows up from time to time on accounts with more than one receiver except in one occasion that I know of.

The receiver will probably update eventually (it may take a couple of weeks or even a month) but it is just a matter of time before it updates to the correct package when it receives the update packet. The blue cards would do that a bit where it would receive channels that it wasnt supposed to or not receive enough if it was unhooked while the hits were coming down. The new yellow cards are made to where it will not receive the unauthorized programming very long.

SNT said:
Really? If I give you a dollar, did you steal it?
If you were making change and meant to give me a dime and I knew you had made a mistake, yes!:rolleyes:
As I said, interesting ethic.:(