Wii, PS3 Outsold by Xbox 360 in USA

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
http://www.gizmocafe.com/blogs/gizmo_cafe_blog/archive/2007/01/02/101558.aspx

It isn’t overly surprising that Microsoft’s year-old Xbox 360 outsold the Sony PlayStation 3. The latter has trickled into retail stores, a fact that has converted many players from allegiance to Solid Snake to Marcus Phenix. However, more surprising is the fact that the 360 outsold the intensely popular Nintendo Wii, which has received rave reviews for its use of motion sensor technology.

The numbers are a bit skewed, however, since they’re limited to the American market. That tosses out Wii-frantic Europe and a Japanese population that has no use for Bill Gates’ little console. There, you can expect numbers will greatly favor the other two consoles.But in the great United States of America, apparently residents are favoring home cookin’. Between the beginning of November and Santa’s arrival in the wee morning hours of Christmas Day, the Xbox 360 shipped some 2 million times, with the Nintendo Wii a close second at 1.8 million. The ghostly PlayStation 3 – which only seemed to haunt retail shelves here and there – sold just 750,000 units over the same period.

The success of the Xbox 360 could be the result of a few factors, from obvious availability to an impressive selection of games. Three words: Gears…of…War.

Give me NPD data please. Until then don;t waste my time opening up a worthless post. And trust me, BD has only just begun!

PS NPD data will not be released until Jan 11. Until then, Mods need to close these useless posts. However, I do not doubt that the 360 outsold this holiday season. Due mainly to game availability, and secondly to supply issues. Props to Sony for getting a console out that was 1000X less buggy than the 360 and not havign to wait until March before another big shipment came out. I appreciate that.

1000X less buggy??? Why is it then, every time I walk by a PS3 kiosk in a store it is locked up? The display in BB the other night was screaching like a cat caught on a fan belt. It just doesn't leave a good impression.

Revised numbers came out. 360 holding at the 2 million estimate for Nov.-Dec.. Wii drops to 1.2 million (I thought 1.8 million was too high since you couldn't find one anywhere). PS3 comes up to 1 million even.

What a ridiculous thread. Shipped, who cares.

True Story: I had a snack food business down in floriday about 16 years ago. We were hailed as the next Frito-Lay because we "out shipped" the major brands for about a three month period. Yup, we made our money, problem was ya can't fool all of the people all of the time. The product stayed on the shelves while the big boys moved theirs in normal quantities. I went out of business, last I looked Frito-Lay is doing fine. I don't care how many are shipped, heck here in CBus I can go to any BB and see 100s of 360's sitting on a pallet with an offer of an extra wireless controller with purchase. Everyone just wants to defend their purchase. It will take another year or two to determine a winner if there even is one and really at that point does anyone care. We will all be enjoying whichever one we decided on.

xbox360 sold 2million from 6+ million consoles available(20-30%).
wii sold 1.8million of 1.8million(100%).
ps3 sold 800k of 1million(80%).

Add the fact that xbox360 and wii both came out with their 1 of their main exclusives(gow and zelda) while the ps3 didn't yet. This isn't over yet.

Revised numbers came out. 360 holding at the 2 million estimate for Nov.-Dec.. Wii drops to 1.2 million (I thought 1.8 million was too high since you couldn't find one anywhere). PS3 comes up to 1 million even.

Can we get a link to where u got these numbers from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)