WildBlue One Goes Live

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.wildblue.com/company/doPressReleaseDetailsAction.do?pressReleaseID=41

WildBlue High-Speed Internet via Satellite Triples Capacity with New Satellite
03/20/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denver, Colorado — WildBlue announced that it began offering high-speed Internet via satellite service through its new satellite, WildBlue-1, earlier today. WildBlue provides broadband Internet access via satellite to homes and small businesses not currently served, or underserved, by other high-speed providers. WildBlue launched commercial service via the Anik F2 satellite in June of 2005, and currently has over 130,000 customers nationwide.

WildBlue-1 will allow WildBlue to more than triple its customer capacity, making high-speed Internet service available to more than 750,000 rural consumers throughout the continental United States. WildBlue expects that the additional capacity accessible on WildBlue-1 will be available to all areas of the contiguous United States by the second quarter of 2007. WildBlue will also continue to utilize its capacity on Anik F2, alongside WildBlue-1.

"The launch of WildBlue-1 went extremely well, and we are now utilizing the additional capacity that this new satellite provides," said David Leonard, WildBlue’s CEO. "WildBlue is eager to offer WildBlue’s high-speed Internet service to those rural consumers across the United States who have been waiting for an affordable alternative to dial-up."

WildBlue offers fast, reliable Internet service in three service packages to consumers and small businesses across the contiguous U.S. for as little as $49.95 per month. WildBlue features download speeds of up to 1.5Mbps, competitive with other high-speed services available in the market today. All packages include Internet Service Provider (ISP) services such as e-mail and Web space, the WildBlue Portal (featuring the latest news, information and entertainment), customer care, and an equipment warranty. WildBlue‘s equipment is available for $299 and certified professional installation is free.

To celebrate this service expansion, new WildBlue customers will receive one month of any service package free of charge in March and April.

An always-on broadband Internet connection, WildBlue’s service offers access speeds that are up to thirty times faster than dial-up. WildBlue's two-way broadband service provides high-speed data in both directions, upstream and downstream. Customers do not need an additional phone or cable line in order to receive broadband Internet service from WildBlue.

WildBlue’s fast, reliable Internet service is available by calling 1-866-WILDBLUE (1-866-945-3258) or by visiting www.wildblue.com for information on local dealers.
About WildBlue

WildBlue Communications, Inc. was established to provide broadband access to consumers and small offices in rural areas and small cities. Service is available in the contiguous United States. More information on the company is available at www.wildblue.com.

It is about time. I have been looking forward to this.

Midwestern & Southern rural using...

Yes, Wild Blue is starting to get there Sh_t together and they have been stealing Hughes Network customers by the truck loads. Both companies do well with folks living in small towns that dont have cable access, there only other options are Hughes Network or Wild Blue.

When you compare them against each other I would have to go with Wild Blue. There dish is much small and ligher than that big monster Hughes Net uses. Because there dish is much smaller and lighter its easier to put together and can pretty much go anywhere because of the size. Hughes Nets big boy dish is so big and bulky that you must install struts to support the weight.

Speeds on download and upload. The word is Wild Blue has much better service. Check there websites for comparisons.

Yeap, if all goes well with Wild Blue that might give Hughes Net a run for there Monies.

Just my 2 cents:)

Anyone tried to install on the new bird. I just did and got satellite mismatch on the second screen. WB had something messed up. They are "working" on it. Good thing the install was only about 4 miles from home.

This has got to be a Joke . ( I know its not, but still )

or only people that HAVE NO other option should use this

$50 for 512kbps :rolleyes:
$70 for 1mbps :rolleyes:
$80 for 1.5mbps:rolleyes:

& $300 equip to boot:rolleyes:

Shody Rates & Shady Price = Sat Internet ( I've had friends that had Starband , same Sh* different day)

Don't forget about Starband.

Satellite internet is for rural customers with no other option available.

I work in both the concrete zone in which wireless, cable and dsl is an option, but for the folks in the country, it's 28.8 dialup or nothing.

Wildblue will be nice with the small dish.

Exactly, it really is for people that have no cable, dsl or fiber option. For the people that fit that category it is just what the doctor called for.

http://www.wildblue.com/company/doPressReleaseDetailsAction.do?pressReleaseID=41

WildBlue High-Speed Internet via Satellite Triples Capacity with New Satellite
03/20/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denver, Colorado — WildBlue announced that it began offering high-speed Internet via satellite service through its new satellite, WildBlue-1, earlier today. WildBlue provides broadband Internet access via satellite to homes and small businesses not currently served, or underserved, by other high-speed providers. WildBlue launched commercial service via the Anik F2 satellite in June of 2005, and currently has over 130,000 customers nationwide.

WildBlue-1 will allow WildBlue to more than triple its customer capacity, making high-speed Internet service available to more than 750,000 rural consumers throughout the continental United States. WildBlue expects that the additional capacity accessible on WildBlue-1 will be available to all areas of the contiguous United States by the second quarter of 2007. WildBlue will also continue to utilize its capacity on Anik F2, alongside WildBlue-1.

"The launch of WildBlue-1 went extremely well, and we are now utilizing the additional capacity that this new satellite provides," said David Leonard, WildBlue’s CEO. "WildBlue is eager to offer WildBlue’s high-speed Internet service to those rural consumers across the United States who have been waiting for an affordable alternative to dial-up."

WildBlue offers fast, reliable Internet service in three service packages to consumers and small businesses across the contiguous U.S. for as little as $49.95 per month. WildBlue features download speeds of up to 1.5Mbps, competitive with other high-speed services available in the market today. All packages include Internet Service Provider (ISP) services such as e-mail and Web space, the WildBlue Portal (featuring the latest news, information and entertainment), customer care, and an equipment warranty. WildBlue‘s equipment is available for $299 and certified professional installation is free.

To celebrate this service expansion, new WildBlue customers will receive one month of any service package free of charge in March and April.

An always-on broadband Internet connection, WildBlue’s service offers access speeds that are up to thirty times faster than dial-up. WildBlue's two-way broadband service provides high-speed data in both directions, upstream and downstream. Customers do not need an additional phone or cable line in order to receive broadband Internet service from WildBlue.

WildBlue’s fast, reliable Internet service is available by calling 1-866-WILDBLUE (1-866-945-3258) or by visiting www.wildblue.com for information on local dealers.
About WildBlue

WildBlue Communications, Inc. was established to provide broadband access to consumers and small offices in rural areas and small cities. Service is available in the contiguous United States. More information on the company is available at www.wildblue.com.
One little detail about Wild Blue installation fees....Pole mounts /wall fishes and other "custom work' is NOT free.....

Shody Rates & Shady Price = Sat Internet ( I've had friends that had Starband , same Sh* different day)

I know a lot of people that have WB, yes it is a bit expensive compared to what you can get in a city with DSL, Cable, etc, and but it is a dream for the country folk. FOr example where I live I am 5 miles from cable and their inet sucks, DSL around here is ok except for the fact that I cant get it since I am 1.2 miles from the end of line. So I surf with WB. I had Starband and Hated it.

Anyone tried to install on the new bird. I just did and got satellite mismatch on the second screen. WB had something messed up. They are "working" on it. Good thing the install was only about 4 miles from home.

Not yet but I will Find out April 1st when the spot beam for this area opens and I'm prepared to run into some problems, but I am going to be an optimist about it.:cool:

I am a Hughesnet customer, since December 2005. And, I find it very unfair, that I've got to pay such a huge premium on broadband service!

Not to mention, both companies have a FAP. That's right, they give you high-speed Internet, and then tell you "don't use it, or we'll slow you down". That in my opinion is stupid. If I have to pay for it, I should be able to use it! Otherwise, it really isn't broadband. I can't sign up for Vongo (or any other movie download site), or anything, that causes me to download more than crappie 175 MB in a short period of time. How short? Don't know, because they say 2 different things in 2 different places on their web-site.

One says continuous download, the other says combined download. (is it 175 MB straight non stop, or 175 MB total over a short period of time?) No where does it say how many hours, except to reference "within three to four hours". Point is, if it is continuous, then you could download 50MB, stop, wait, download another 50MB, etc... BTW, it is accumulated download in a "short" time, not non-stop download that meets or exceeds download threshold.

Anyways, Wildblue, may be better, even cheaper (I pay $59.99 a month for 700Kbps Download, though I just got done paying $99.99 a month for 15 months because I couldn't afford to pay the $500 for equipment) and their FAP may be a little better (from what I can understand, it is a monthly balance situation, something like 1GB per month). However, neither of them are that great. For one, AT&T offers DSL Basic for $14.99 per month less than a mile from me (768Kbps DL) that's more than three times cheaper than even Wildblue's most basic plan, but 256Kbps faster!

So for me, I won't be jumping onto the Wildblue bandwagon, because all I would do is go from one crappie service to another. IMO

P.S. Though I don't agree with it, I do understand that broadband via satellite requires a great amount of bandwidth, and that there is only so much. Therefore, all satellite broadband companies inact a FAP of one sort or another. I do understand the reason's. I just find it a little unfair that I have to pay what I pay, for something that I can't even use. I've downloaded software updates for a fresh install that pushed my download threshold. And the thing about sites like Vongo, once you start downloading, you've got only so long to finish download. Lets say a movie is 1.5GB, even at full blast, non stop, 768Kbps, it will take some time to download. Imagine having to stop and wait for hours at a time, in between 175 MB of usage. You couldn't use it for anything else.

We have several remote Offices running off Satellite, (Orbital Data) also using VPN, it's not great, but most of these sites were lucky to get 28.8 dialup, so it's a great improvement to them. Don't forget to look for a wireless ISP, connections at 2mb down and 512up are getting alot more common around here.

Last edited:
its a pretty cheap price to pay for what your getting. I did satcom for the military, mobile satcom, if you had any idea what the actual price of bandwidth was on those and the equipment and money spent setting up that system. they need a huge customer base just to clear operating costs.

I was paying $75 a month for 128kbps ISDN before DSL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)