Will a 942 work?

Lj009

Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hi all I've been reading these boards all morning and even put a call in to D but can't find or get an answer maybe you guys can help. My viewing habits are mostly with the local networks and use the the cable channels a bit less . But I do use my 522 extensively .I have installed a ota HD antenna and rotor and get great high definition signals on all the major networks I spoke to a Dish rep and was told that I could purchase a 942 from a retailer and it could be activated as SD unit. So my question is will the 942 receive, record and playback the HD ota signal

Thanks
Jack

That is EXACTLY my situation! I bought a 942 last week and had it activated. It works exactly like my 522 did except I can now view and record OTA HD on the third tuner. That third tuner is just great because now I can record my shows in HD, the kids shows in SD and watch either something live (SD) or anything on the DVR at the same time. The 942 is a stellar machine. No $6.00 HD access fee either like the 622.

I just wanted to back up ItsDon on this one. It will work just fine. As long as it can see a satellite it will work as an OTA receiver. That being said, if you don't subscribe to your locals you won't get guide data for your local OTA channels. Just something to think about.

Thanks a Mill guys This is a great place, I hope someday I can help someone out here. Jack

Claude Greiner said:
FYI, I would not buy a 942 today. A little bird told me there might be a price reduction on the 942 in the works when Dish starts doing 622 Upgrades

Hey, I bought my 942 from you last week Claude and NOW the little bird starts talking? ;) Unit works great though!

lakebum431 said:
I just wanted to back up ItsDon on this one. It will work just fine. As long as it can see a satellite it will work as an OTA receiver. That being said, if you don't subscribe to your locals you won't get guide data for your local OTA channels. Just something to think about.

Does that mean I can cancel my Dish account, leave the satellite dish on my roof and the 942 will still tune and record OTA HD, albeit without the guide? That would be sweet...

ItsDon said:
That is EXACTLY my situation! I bought a 942 last week and had it activated. It works exactly like my 522 did except I can now view and record OTA HD on the third tuner. That third tuner is just great because now I can record my shows in HD, the kids shows in SD and watch either something live (SD) or anything on the DVR at the same time. The 942 is a stellar machine. No $6.00 HD access fee either like the 622.

I would love a cheap 942, I am on the lease from the exec. office & would love to have another. What I am seeking clarification on is , if I am subscribed to the old HD pack + Voom for $ 14.99, will I be able to activate a purchased 942 & be able to activate it for my existing HD channels, HD+Voom OR will E* only activate the new 942 receiver to only receive SD programing from Dish.

BTW thanks again Claude, I don't know if you remember me but you were very helpful with me getting my 942 activated back in October, they insisted an installer had to come just to switch a 721 for the 942, but I would have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment.

Jordan

Interesting thought, i assumed they activated a receiver to an account, they activated programming to an account. Thus, depending on receiver capabilities all receivers would receive all channels on that account. just not show any that it couldnt deal with. e.g 510 showing HD.

So if there is going to be a "sea" of 942's i could buy a couple cheap and use them for my existing HD channels,, not just SD as i was thinking . hmmmm :hungry:

DucTape said:

To which question?

"if I am subscribed to the old HD pack + Voom for $ 14.99, will I be able to activate a purchased 942 & be able to activate it for my existing HD channels, HD+Voom OR will E* only activate the new 942 receiver to only receive SD programing from Dish."

HD or NOT?

"So my question is will the 942 receive, record and playback the HD ota signal "

Yes to that original question from Lj009 I believe.
I had changed the way I view threads in the user cp so it looked liked it was unanswered at the moment.

Dunno what will happen for a new unit, but if you have the old program pack currently any HD unit you add should receive what you have now, I.E. Mpeg2 channels. If you have the old package as I do they must activate any Mpeg2 units you add, that's grandfathered. If you change your subs I'm unsure what may happen as that is a question I also have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts