Installation Problem

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
Hello All-

I have to do an installation on a 3rd floor apartment, but there are some issues with this. I can bolt the dish to the wood deck post, but it is not far enough out for the signal to project over the roof of the deck. I need to figure out what I can do to get the dish out about from the post about 4-5 ft to make this installation work. I could do a poll mount, but it is winter and would not be fun. Any Ideas? I made a really bad drawing in paint showing what I could do with a 2X4, but I don't think it would be sturdy enough, it would warp ect...

Thanks,

Bsilvertab

Attachments

• Dish.JPG
    Dish.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 138
That sounds like a chargeback waiting to happen, unless you are a DNSC tech. You should see some of the crap they pull around here (ungrounded superdish on a pallet on a sidewalk in an apartment complex).....

Edit: So that's who makes those crappy auger mounts. I dug one of those POS's out of a customer's yard on a service call/must carry. What a pain.

Last edited:
assuming this is a lightweight dish 500 and not a heavy Superdish, you could goto a muffler shop with your 8 foot pole and get them to place some bends in the pipe to get the distance you need. Sounds like you are simply looking to get out 5 feet or so away from the building. This is doable, but would need to be supported.

As an extra note, please try to think of the next guy when you install these custom mounts. If something goes wrong a year or greater down the road, it will be out of retail warranty and DNS will dispatch a sub or internal tech to do the repair. Nothing like pulling up on a job like this and not being able to reach the dish because of the custom mount.

JohnTenn said:
assuming this is a lightweight dish 500 and not a heavy Superdish, you could goto a muffler shop with your 8 foot pole and get them to place some bends in the pipe to get the distance you need. Sounds like you are simply looking to get out 5 feet or so away from the building. This is doable, but would need to be supported.

As an extra note, please try to think of the next guy when you install these custom mounts. If something goes wrong a year or greater down the road, it will be out of retail warranty and DNS will dispatch a sub or internal tech to do the repair. Nothing like pulling up on a job like this and not being able to reach the dish because of the custom mount.

It's not as easy as that. As one having civil and structual engineering experience, I'd have to say that at five feet out horizontally, there are a lot of forces acting on that long of a lever arm. A three leg oblique pyramid or tetrahedron like structure is in order, if the structure is to be rigid enough and survive the elements.

It is possible to aim the dish using the proper methods and tools from the balcony.

hey guys, just a simple reminder here, you need to get it in writing from the apt manager to perform this type of install, as well as a waiver for the lack of grounding, the fcc guidelines are also out the window on this mount as it is not within the customers rented are, it is outside the balcony, thus it is in the common area, my suggestion, tripod on the ground with permission.

Well, I was able to do the install last night. I got a dish mount that is about 4 ft long instead of the regular 1.5 ft. Here are the bad pictures I took with my cell phone. I still cannot believe that it works. 90+ on every transponder on every satellite. Crazy stuff!

Attachments

• Dish.JPG
    Dish.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DIsh2.jpg
    DIsh2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 119

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)