Will a Dish 500 dish work for Direct TV 5lnb?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

smoknjoe

Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
I have a Dish 500 big oval dish mounted on my house. I no longer subscribe to Dish, I have had Direct TV for about a year. I've decided to go HDTV. I have the small 3 lnb dish now. I realize I need to go to the 5 lnb dish. I'm wondering rather than buying a slimline dish if I can just buy a 5 lnb and put it on the Dish 500 dish. The other question is do I need a multi switch? You may be asking yourself, why doesn't he just call Direct TV? Because the last time the installer was out there was a big argument about where to mount the dish. Nobody is putting anything on my roof! Seems like a simple concept but this dude couldn't grasp it. So, it's just as easy to do it myself.

Thanks,
Joe

Will a Dish 500 dish work for Direct TV 5lnb?

No and I did not address some the rest since I assumed it was all related to the original question. You will need an external multi-switch if you need to feed more than 4 tuners at once.

If the roof is the only LoS they do make products that prevent any penetration; so did the installer tell you EXACTLY what the issue was?

As subcontracting installers, we do both Dish and DirecT. In being full service, one of my fellow subcontractors developed this adapter, that he also sells on eBay, for placing a full Slimline 5 lnb dish on the old Dish500 or the Plase III pole. The old poles are the same size.

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150228032886 end time Mar-27-08 17:01:35 PDT)

If your current Phase III dish is getting good signals, and there are no obstructions too close to the current line of sight, the current position would be fine.

If you have to ask this question you are not qualified to do the installation. Call D* or a local installer.

Thanks to Charper and Mike. I appreciate the information.
As for Boba, I exalt you for your infinite wisdom and knowledge that is obviously divinely inspired that you need not ask questions to further your knowledge. I harken back to the old days when you could mount a Dish lnb on a primstar dish, but I digress for obviously you are well aware of that. I apologize for wasting everyone's time with such and obviously stupid question. I'll let you know how I make out "trying" to install a slimline 5 lnb on my own even though I am apparently unqualified to do so.

Joe

:welcome to Satelliteguys!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you will need the 5LNB dish.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks to Charper and Mike. I appreciate the information.
As for Boba, I exalt you for your infinite wisdom and knowledge that is obviously divinely inspired that you need not ask questions to further your knowledge. I harken back to the old days when you could mount a Dish lnb on a primstar dish, but I digress for obviously you are well aware of that. I apologize for wasting everyone's time with such and obviously stupid question. I'll let you know how I make out "trying" to install a slimline 5 lnb on my own even though I am apparently unqualified to do so.

Joe
Sorry the truth hurts.

Easier than I would have thought!

Well guys I'm sitting in my living room watching HD programming and couldn't be happier! The install went smoother than I could have anticipated. The Dish 500 arm was actually a 2" arm so the Slimline would mount right on it! When I removed the Dish 500 dish I checked the pole for level. It wasn't even close which is just one more indication the installer was completely incompetent. I plumbed up the pole, mounted the dish. Set the elevation. pointed it toward the necessary direction and had an 89 signal strength right off the bat. Began running through the procedures outlined in the installation manual. Project was completed within 2 hours from beginning to end. I guess I'm not as unqualified as Boba seemed to think! Maybe I need to call Direct TV and get a Job! Thanks for your help guys.

Joe

Strange, the Dish 500 I had used a 1-5/8" mast.

Mike500: Dither is NOT used if you align using 99 or 103. The reason for the dither method was to ensure that the beam was exactly centered on 101 back when 99 and 103 were only spot beams and not all locations would see any signal (in addition, the alignment meters weren't able to see these sats).

Strange, the Dish 500 I had used a 1-5/8" mast.

Not strange; All Dish500's use the 1-5/8 inch pole. The first ones used two dual legacy lnb's and two sw21's.

The adapter allows mounting the two inch socket of the Slimline directly to it.

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150232331647 end time Apr-08-08 23:16:37 PDT)

Mike500: Dither is [B said:
NOT[/B] used if you align using 99 or 103. The reason for the dither method was to ensure that the beam was exactly centered on 101 back when 99 and 103 were only spot beams and not all locations would see any signal (in addition, the alignment meters weren't able to see these sats).

Maybe, NOT as originally designed or intended, but it sure works great for that purpose.

More than likely what smokinjoe was calling a DISH 500 was a SUPERDISH. In his original post he calls it a big oval dish.

More than likely what smokinjoe was calling a DISH 500 was a SUPERDISH. In his original post he calls it a big oval dish.
That would make more sense to me. The superdish and the slimline are identical except for the LNB (and some slight differences in the adjustment brackets)

Hello,
My direct tv dish walked away one night. I have a dish tv 500 dish that I would like to use to pull in my direct tv programming. Can someone tell me if this will work and iff not, why?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Louie..

WELCOME

....and sorry to hear about your loss; but NO, the geometries of the dish reflectors are not the same or compatible with each other's LNB array.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts