Will a Dish 811 receiver work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mitsufan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
I'm looking to switch back to Dish since my local cable operator, only moved to them to get some local HD channels, and I have an 811 receiver. Is there any channels that I won't be able to receive as it's a mpeg2 not a mpeg4 model? Now that Dish offers more locals and I want HD for the Superbowl Dish is my only alternative. I don't want to buy or lease equipment, and I have a Tivo Series II as well.

The only Dish HD locals that the 811 would get are NYC and LA. All the others are MPEG-4. You'd need a 211/411/622 receiver for those. Also, there are several national HD in MPEG-4: HGTV-HD, ESPN2-HD, UNI-HD, FOOD-HD, ...

I'm not even sure that you can activate HD on your 811 without one of the new metallic packages.

Dish won't activate it alone for HD. You can use it for local over the air and Dish SD but if you want HD locals from dish you need either a 211 or 622.

If you do go with one of the new hd packages you can add your 811 as a second box it will get TNTHD,DHDT,HDNET,HDNET movies,ESPNHD,HBO HD,ShoHD and 10 of the voom channels.

The only Dish HD locals that the 811 would get are NYC and LA. All the others are MPEG-4. You'd need a 211/411/622 receiver for those. Also, there are several national HD in MPEG-4: HGTV-HD, ESPN2-HD, UNI-HD, FOOD-HD, ...

I'm not even sure that you can activate HD on your 811 without one of the new metallic packages.

The NY and LA Local are headed as mpeg4 and would not be available on the 811 due to this. The only HD available was CBS-HD and that was taken away on Dec. 1st.

In longer run you may be better in looking to move to 622 (or 211 if you do not need DVR)...E* definitely has more MPEG4 channels and all the new ones will be only sent that way.

Also depending from how long ago you switched from E* you may qualify as the new customer and get some nice deals (free equipment, install and $200+ in rebates).

I probably have been gone about three years or so. I just don't want to pay for another receiver after I purchased my 811. Are they offering a free 622 w/ committment to own it outright. I don't want to lease anything.

All deals on the 622 are for lease with $200 up front (purchase price is a lot higher). $10 a month for 10 for upgrade to HD package and $10 a month for being a new HD customer totals $200. Bottom line, receiver would be free, but you do not own.

Returning back after three years would make you the "new customer". As "garys" said all deals E* is currently offering are lease only ones. Additional benefit next to $200 rebate and free installation is that the usual $6 monthly lease fee on the first receiver should be waived for you.

Please do inquire about all the options and fees before you do anything, while E* programming and 622 are great they do have a lot of fees (DVR fee, phone connection fee etc)...most of them you can avoid one way or another but stay informed and post any questions right at this board.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I’m only interested in the 211 as I already have a lifetime subscription to Tivo, granted not HD. I called Dish and they said they wouldn’t allow me to sign up w/ the 811 as a new customer, so I guess that ends that. So either I chalk it up and lease it or wait until they offer for me to purchase it outright. I already have two 500 dishes installed so I really don't even need the instillation so maybe I could work a deal with that.....

Lease a 211 and then activate the 811 and dedicate it to your tivo

That's probably what I'll have to do or use the old 301(??). I wished I could get ota HD:mad:

It sucks my cable operator carries Fox, and doesn't carry CBS. Dish carries CBS but not Fox.......................:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

All I want for xmas is my HD football!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts