Will a taller mast give me better signal?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
My ChannelMaster 4228 is behind our house on my shed. The shed is a little bit down hill from the house so I think that the house may be blocking some of the signal. I have it on a 5' mast which with the shed it is about 12' off the ground. If I put it on a 10' mast, is it possible that I will get a better signal? Can I just got to Home Depot and get a steel pole and use that? There are virtually no stores in my area that even carry such an item. I can use two 5' poles but I would rather use one 10' for strength. Any thoughts?

The extra height might help.

Go to the chain link fence department. Top rails are 1-3/8" in diameter and 10 feet long or so. They would work.

Remember, UHF does not bend over objects well at all.

Your antenna should be higher than your house to prevent the house from partially blocking the signal from that direction.

If the house is higher, why is the antenna on the shed?

We didn't put it on the house because of the look of it. Our Dish is also on a mast next to the house. We had a friend who had big problems with their roof leaking after an install so we decided to mount it on the side of the shed in the backyard. I went to that website and there was a wealth of information. The only thing I didn't see, which I thought was the easiest, is how to ground it. I see they used a grounding block, whatever that is, but that was all. They didn't talk about it at all. Am I missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)