will adapter make DP work on big Voom dish for 129

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I still have the big 3 foot dish that Voom installed for better gain here in Seattle. It raised the gain on that 63 degree bird from 65-75 to 95-98. When talking to local installer about the dish 1000 install coming up here he said they always arrive with 1000 and then talk customer out of it for 2 dish setup as 129 gain is very weak in PNW.

I asked him if he would use my now mounted and defunct big Voom dish and he said he would if they can get the LNB on it.

I know my 129 would rock with this dish. But I think it would take and adapter as the lnb on it currently is a legacy type.

Anyone try this yet?>

Exactly were you are I was.
Old big Voom dish pointed at e*'s 61.5 but recently moved to see 129 with my 211 upgrade.
We got a lower signal than at 61.5. New d1000 installed last week and weaker 129 signal but through our recent "weather" here in L.A. all worked fine. However knowing what I do at this point and if it hadn't been a free upgrade, I would leave the two dish set up alone. Now I wait for April and the 622 rebate/upgrade.

Good luck.

I have successfully modified a Voom dish to accept a DP Single lnb. I purchased an I adapter that's made to fit the DP lnb. I had to saw off 2 inches of the support arm to account for the extra length of the adaptor. I actually tweaked my dish last night and now I'm getting a signal level of 95 on the 129 satellite. Dishstore has them: http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=65&products_id=146

you cant use a DishPro adapter backwards

dishpointer has the right idea. But if its a 36" dish, does it have the rectangle slot for the LNB or is there a LNB holder?

actually let me stand corrected its the 30 inch voom dish. It has a normal type arm with rectangle slot for legecy type lnb to slip on it and holds with the one screw. What do you mean by dishpro adapter backwards. Very interesting. Thanks everyone!

iceshark said:
actually let me stand corrected its the 30 inch voom dish. It has a normal type arm with rectangle slot for legecy type lnb to slip on it and holds with the one screw. What do you mean by dishpro adapter backwards. Very interesting. Thanks everyone!
Do like Dishpointer and saw enough off of it to where when the I adapter is on the lnb is at the same focal point that the original lnb was. If the focal point isn't exact you will be no better off than using the dish1000. The focal point is where all the signal that is reflectored off the dish comes together to go in the lnb opening. If its to close or to far away you will not get all the reflected signal that is available into the lnb opening, meaning you want see near as much gain as if it was placed in the right place.

Thanks, I used to own an operate a big dish store and understand focal length. I am only confused as I did not know the adapter added length to the focal arm. But looking at it that makes sense. I will measure middle of Lnb cup to dish and then measure with adapter on with DP lnb and then take off and cut off the differance. Unless someone has the exact amount needed to cut off. I have read 2 and 4 inches. Thats a big differance. Need to be exact as you said with regards to focal distance

Study the picture in the link above. Just place the original lnb on your dish. Hold the I adaptor with DP lnb next to it. Mark the arm at that point. You will notice that the I adaptor will need to be mounted closer. From your mark add 2 inches to accomidate the I adaptor sleeve. Make your cut there and drill new pilot hole in arm. You get the point. Your whole goal is to make the DP lnb mount exactly where your original lnb was. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)