Will an AM21N improve my local network picture?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rlanham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
I just recently switched to DirecTV from Dish. I had always watched my locals via a small inside antennae hooke up to my Dish DVR on my 73" Mits DLP., and even more so on a new projection setup.

I think HD PQ via DirecTV is better than on Dish IMO, but while watching football on my fox via DirecTV locals yesterday (1st time since getting DirecTV) it seemed to suffer PQ from what I was used to with Dish.

I am going to pick up an AM21N, but just wondering if anyone else see an improvement on locals via OTA on DirecTV.

I think HD PQ via DirecTV is better than on Dish IMO, but while watching football on my fox via DirecTV locals yesterday (1st time since getting DirecTV) it seemed to suffer PQ from what I was used to with Dish.
:D:D

The ota quality may be slightly better than what Directv has, but there isn't much difference from what I have seen.

Yes, OTA is better, but it's not a night-and-day difference. It really depends on how discerning a particular viewer happens to be. If you know what to look for and sit close enough to the screen, you'll see it. I view OTA whenever possible, just because I know that's as good as it's going to get. But, I am pretty demanding.

Yes, OTA is better, but it's not a night-and-day difference. It really depends on how discerning a particular viewer happens to be. If you know what to look for and sit close enough to the screen, you'll see it. I view OTA whenever possible, just because I know that's as good as it's going to get. But, I am pretty demanding.

How close to the TV do you generally sit ?

I use to have a AM21 but since Directv carries almost all my locals in HD (the ones available in HD) and the picture from Directv looks very close to what I get OTA it wasnt needed
The subchannels we have are either crap or not in the AM21 database
and since you dont add any tuners by adding one it was a moot point ;)

How close to the TV do you generally sit ?

Depends on the screen of course. In the living room, I'm about 8 feet from a 46-inch screen. In my "critical evaluation room," I'm about 2 feet away from a 23-inch screen. That is usually where I can see ANY problem.

Depends on the screen of course. In the living room, I'm about 8 feet from a 46-inch screen. In my "critical evaluation room," I'm about 2 feet away from a 23-inch screen. That is usually where I can see ANY problem.

Haven't you ever been told that your not suppose to watch TV that close ? :p

I'm typically 15-20 feet from my 60" TV.

I notice a very small improvement using the AM21 over the Directv locals. I do see a big improvement when I use the antenna1 connection on that TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts