Will an in-line amplifier lessen the chance of "rain fade"?

f13dfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hi,

I was thinking of getting a 76cm dish to replace my current 24" that I am using for BEV. A local dealer suggested that I use an in-line amplifier to boost the signal. Would this be an easier fix than getting a larger and more expensive dish?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a 76cm dish to replace my current 24" that I am using for BEV. A local dealer suggested that I use an in-line amplifier to boost the signal. Would this be an easier fix than getting a larger and more expensive dish?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

No it will not...An Amp will only increase your aggregate level...hence the noise floor will also increase..

Your local dealer has given you a bogus answer.

In Line Amplifiers are designed to boost signal LEVELS over the length of an extra-long cable run. Any use of amplification involves the addition of some NOISE to the intended signal. Unless you have a long cable run, skip the in line amp.

Try and align your dish for maximum signal, as if you are in central Canada,
a 76 cm model should have plenty of signal when properly adjusted.
IF that does not work, a larger antenna is the best remedy.

The 24" dish should be more than sufficient for BEV from the majority of Canada. You didn't mention where you're located.
If the signal is not there to begin with, an amplifier is not going to improve things. In fact, it may make things worse because it's using power that the LNB could be using.

Well, I phoned tech support at Winegard and one of their guys told me to use Rain-X so that it would keep the raindrops from staying on the dish. And I followed the advice only to find out in another forum that the Rain-X might actually degrade the signal, because it makes the dish shinier :(

I think I will go up and repoint the dish. BTW, I'm in Vancouver and people around me are saying they get signals from Nimiq 2 in the 90's. Mine are in the low 70's on a clear day.

Thank you for all your advice. It's much appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)