Will anyone ever fix H20/HR20 Chicago OTA issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aa9vi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
CHICAGO DMA
Still can't get WCIU 26-1 on my HR20-100. Tried RBR and new firmware. What is the deal? Can't D* get this mapping right? For the longest time 48-1 showed what 26-1 had in the guide. Now, 48-1 is correct.

WCIU-DT maps the following from UHF 27
26-1 WCIU-DT
26-2 -and- 23-1 WWME
26-3 -and- 48-1 WMEU
26-4 THIS
26-6 WFBT

The HR20 will not show 26-1. WHY? The blame game keeps going back and forth and nothing is done to resolve this. The mappings work fine on all other receivers (D* and ATSC on TVs). This is a D* issue that needs to be resolved.

CHICAGO DMA
Still can't get WCIU 26-1 on my HR20-100. Tried RBR and new firmware. What is the deal? Can't D* get this mapping right? For the longest time 48-1 showed what 26-1 had in the guide. Now, 48-1 is correct.

26-1 WCIU-DT
26-2 -and- 23-1 WWME
26-3 -and- 48-1 WMEU
26-4 THIS
26-6 WFBT

The HR20 will not show 26-1. WHY? The blame game keeps going back and forth and nothing is done to resolve this. The mappings work fine on all other receivers (D* and ATSC on TVs). This is a D* issue that needs to be resolved.

Have you gone into the antenna setup and done a reset antenna settings (not an RBR) , and then a new initial setup? This clears out all the old settings and sets things up from the beginning.

Have you gone into the antenna setup and done a reset antenna settings (not an RBR) , and then a new initial setup? This clears out all the old settings and sets things up from the beginning.

It was my understanding that D uses a master table for these -channels & all the rebooting in the world wont find 26-1 until they physically add that channel to the H20 database (firmware).

Unless you clear down all the antenna settings and then do a new initial setup you won't know for sure whether the database for the HR20 (not the H20) is correct. If you just do a new initial setup that won't work. No reboot or any other sort of reset required.
The other thing to check is the tv listings at zap2it.com. If they are correct then the DirecTV database should be correct (Tribune who runs zap2it also supplies DirecTV with the database). If the stations don't appear correctly in zap2it then they won't appear correctly in the Hr20 database.
The zap2it guide was down when I first started the post but it is now back up. It seems to show the stations correctly and that means the DirecTV guide should be correct also. If you haven't done a reset of the antenna settings before a new initial setup you MUST do this. Otherwise you won't know where the problem lies.

CHICAGO DMA

26-1 WCIU-DT
26-2 -and- 23-1 WWME
26-3 -and- 48-1 WMEU
26-4 THIS
26-6 WFBT

I had the same problem with WCIU 26.1 last July

Below is my original post and Jimbo’s solution and what I did to get everything working correctly.

Last Thursday I got an AM21 Off Air Tuner and I received all my off air local channels.

For reasons that are not important today I redid the Antenna Setup.

Now channel 26.1 WCIU HD is missing. In its place is channel 48.1 WCIU-DT. The program guide shows the programming on 26 and channel 48.1 are identical. However, the programming on those two channels are not the same. The programming on channel 48.1 and 26.3 are identical.

I know 26.1 is still broadcasting.

I want the AM21 to give me channel 26.1 which is WCIU - HD.

DirecTV has not been able to solve the problem.

Anybody have any ideas what is going on and how I can get the AM21 to show channel 26.1?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post form Jimbo

Disconnect the OTA tuner and run a OTA scan, this will clear the memory.
Then hook it back up and run the OTA RESET tab, not the Initial one.
See if that fixes your trouble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply

Thanks Jimbo:
I removed the USB cable that connects the AM 21 OTA Tuner to the Directv Receiver.

Then I did the reset - which removes all the local channels. Then I had no choice but to do the initial setup.

I do not know why, but - channel 26.1 is back!!! Channel 48.1 is gone. Everything is the way it was before I redid the antenna setup early this morning.

With the correct channels back in the guide I reconnected the USB cable from the AM21 to the Directv receiver.

Now everything is running smoothly.

Thanks again Jimbo.

You did not actually need to remove the cable, just do the reset, then an initial setup again.

My advise try the easier solution: Do what Texasbrit says: do a reset than an initial setup.

However, if that does not work I would disconnect the OTA tuner form the Directv receiver. Than do the reset and initial setup. Then reconnect the OTA tuner.

If it still does not work I have no idea what to do next.

I tried RBR and initial setup in the antenna menu and neither solved the problem. I can try and reboot the entire box by downloading new firmware from the dish (you all know the CE code while booting up) but the risk is I lose all my DVR movies. If the engineers were smart they would have build in an OTA channel scan into it to correct the problem, but he HR20 is incapable of OTA channel scans.

This is a bug and needs to be fixed. D* please fix it.

I am going to try a new workaround by wiping out the primary market and putting in one for somewhere else. Then i can wipe that temp market out and then put back in my zip code. Hopefully the whole thing will clear up. Sounds like a linux install.

First, downloading new firmware will not normally lose your recordings. I download the CE test releases every week and have never lost recordings. But second, I would strongly suspect there is a problem with the PSIP on WCIU that is screwing up the HR20, nothing to do with the guide, especially since the zap2it database is correct. People have reported PSIP problems a number of times this month, only on some receivers, with WCIU mapping to 27 instead of 26. If there is a PSIP problem you will not get the channel on your HR20. By the way, do you get a 771 or a blank screen?
FYI I have checked the other DirecTV forums and no-one is reporting the same problem.

An update on this. First, the DirecTV guide data is correct and has everything from 27 mapped correctly to 26. Have confirmed this with a DirecTV "insider". Second, I now have seen one other report of the problem. Only on the HR20-100, the HR20-700 and the AM21 seem to be OK and map correctly to 26. It looks like a PSIP issue that only the HR20-100 is sensitive to. I will post back if I get any further info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts