Will D* downconvert HD Local Network channels in 2009 to work with legacy receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
I posted this thread on DBSTalk and now regret doing that.

My question is just more out of curiosity then what is going to happen to my TV. I am already an HD subscriber so it has no bearing to me. It comes out of curiosity since someone posted that D* has promised to provide all 200+ market DMA's in SD by 2008. That being said, here is my question.

D* currently receives analog local network signals and uplinks them so they can be seen on receivers capable of 480i SD. With all local market networks stopping analog signals in 2009 per the FCC, will D* take the digital HD feeds and downconvert them to 480i SD so all the legacy receivers can see them? Or do you think they are planning something else?

My question is just more out of curiosity then what is going to happen to my TV. I am already an HD subscriber so it has no bearing to me. It comes out of curiosity since someone posted that D* has promised to provide all 200+ market DMA's in SD by 2008. That being said, here is my question.

D* currently receives analog local network signals and uplinks them so they can be seen on receivers capable of 480i SD. With all local market networks stopping analog signals in 2009 per the FCC, will D* take the digital HD feeds and downconvert them to 480i SD so all the legacy receivers can see them? Or do you think they are planning something else?

All HD will be MPEG4.;)

I think it depends on how they are receiving the signal. From what I have read, don't some of the locals have fiber fun to D* facilities? If this is the case they will not have to do anything for the analog cut off. If they receive the signal via OTA then they will have to down convert the channel or make everybody swap there receivers for MPEG4 equipment. I would bet that they will just down convert the signal and keep everybody where they are today (at least for the time being).

My opinion is that there'll be lots of studies on business return, terms and agreements between every companies and none necessarily has to comply with FCC since sat and cable are private businesses. They'll do it on "voluntary" terms (read business) just like VHS was done (ie no govt law required to kill off those ugly beloved things).

I remember reading that the FCC did not want downconversion of the an HD signal but I don't think there is anything legally stopping D* from taking a 720p HD local network signal and making it 480i SD so it can work with legacy receivers.

I would love to help them analyze the cost/benefit analysis of making all locals digital HD in the primary markets and getting rid of legacy receivers. The saturation point might change dramatically next year as they have more HD markets and those 100 HD national channels under their belt. I see them installing MPEG4 HD capable receivers for all new installs at some point. One thing that is see more important then receivers are the dishes. A lot easier to send a person a new receiver then it is to install a new dish. It will be interesting to see if 5 LNB dishes are necessary in all markets in 2009.

I remember reading that the FCC did not want downconversion of the an HD signal but I don't think there is anything legally stopping D* from taking a 720p HD local network signal and making it 480i SD so it can work with legacy receivers.

I would love to help them analyze the cost/benefit analysis of making all locals digital HD in the primary markets and getting rid of legacy receivers. The saturation point might change dramatically next year as they have more HD markets and those 100 HD national channels under their belt. I see them installing MPEG4 HD capable receivers for all new installs at some point. One thing that is see more important then receivers are the dishes. A lot easier to send a person a new receiver then it is to install a new dish. It will be interesting to see if 5 LNB dishes are necessary in all markets in 2009.
Your first mistake is your belief that 2009 means HD it only requires broadcaster to provide a DIGITAL BROADCAST. Nothing will change from today if ABC is available now it will be available in 2009.:)

Your first mistake is your belief that 2009 means HD it only requires broadcaster to provide a DIGITAL BROADCAST. Nothing will change from today if ABC is available now it will be available in 2009.:)

You see that is not my mistake. I am having such a hard time asking this question. Its only digital, I know. The issue is if local networks shut off the ANALOG feed and D* is using that to feed their SD local channels, then when that shuts off, they gotta use the DIGITAL ones. And a good portion of the digital ones will be HD at points in the day. So what is D* going to do with the digital signals being upfed? And are they going to downcovert the ones that are in HD to allow SD legacy receivers to view the channels?

You see that is not my mistake. I am having such a hard time asking this question. Its only digital, I know. The issue is if local networks shut off the ANALOG feed and D* is using that to feed their SD local channels, then when that shuts off, they gotta use the DIGITAL ones. And a good portion of the digital ones will be HD at points in the day. So what is D* going to do with the digital signals being upfed? And are they going to downcovert the ones that are in HD to allow SD legacy receivers to view the channels?

I think the obvious answer to your question is yes.

If Directv is all Digital,Why does anyone care? They must get a digital signal from somewhere!How can you turn analog into digital? I'm real interested in knowing how this can be done.I would say this is going to effect cable customers ,who only have analog cable,and that have tv's without a digital tuner.I would also say most networks have a digial signal as well as analog.By 2009 I would say if a station wants to remain on the air,they would have no choice!

If Directv is all Digital,Why does anyone care? They must get a digital signal from somewhere!How can you turn analog into digital? I'm real interested in knowing how this can be done.I would say this is going to effect cable customers ,who only have analog cable,and that have tv's without a digital tuner.I would also say most networks have a digial signal as well as analog.By 2009 I would say if a station wants to remain on the air,they would have no choice!

How does one turn analog to digital. Good question. Its done all the time. Media Center PC's have tuner cards that take composite and S-Video feeds and digitize them. Slingboxes take the same type of analog feeds and turn them into digital with ability to transport over TCP/IP. Regular Tivos do this. They take analog video feeds, digitize and stamp them on an internal hard drive.

What D* is currently doing for local networks is grab the analog transmission either by a direct fiber link from the station (might be digitized by the local station) or an antenna and digitize the signal to their central operations. That digitized signal is then brought down to the user. One of the main advantages of satellite providers over the years is that their channels were all digital. Most never get analoged as they come straight from the source in digital and passed to the consumer as digital. It only becomes analog the moment it goes to your regular TV via RF, composite or S-Video.

I am pretty sure the answer to my rather complex question is that analog feed gets cut off in 2009 so the only logic choice is grab the digital feed and uplink it to their central operations. At that point, the signal will have to get formated to work with legacy receivers that are not able to see HD. The good news, even though a 720p signal gets downconverted, the signal will not have gone through an analog step so legacy receivers may even see a boost in picture quality in 2009 for local networks.

I only asked the question to see if anyone knows more about this. I guess I should have saved this question to ask a D* engineer directly. Sorry for confusion folks.

There won't be any changes on our end.
On DirecTV's end there won't be much changes either. They take the analog signal today (via Fiber or OTA) and encode it to MPEG2 digital for broadcast.

After analog is turned off then will then take the digial signal (via Fiber or OTA) and encode it to MPEG2 digital for broadcast.

In other words, not much changes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)