Will D let you reactivate owned receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gren25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
tarheel state
I have 3 hughes receivers that I like, AND THAT I own. just wondering if I could buy an H-20hd receiver from newegg, and get them all activated and not be on the lease program.Would I be in for a fight from D to do this. I have DISH now just weighing my options if I decide to switch back to D.

You should be able to do this - if the H20 is really a sold unit, not a leased unit.

Two year min committment.

Double check the bill as several reports of owned units being activated as leased.

I never could figure out what the procedure was on the used DirecTv receivers was for activation. If one has a balance on the card or receiver can you not get either activated or can you if you buy a new card? Do you have to buy a new card if you buy a used receiver from someone or is that not required if you have the newest card?

I have activated (and helped friends activate) numerous used receivers; mostly of the older HD types. This has been over the last 4 years, but NOT since the "lease scheme".

Call DirecTV and them you want to activate a used unit and that you need a new card.

You will be charged $20 as a deposit and for the FedEx overnight (don't call on Friday); ask that the deposit be refunded after activation and it will.

You must activate that new card in the exact receiver within 14 days.

On the 1st full bill the $20 should be credited to the bill.

I have never had a "balance issue" since they stopped transferring cards WAY BACK in the old days.

Last edited:
I have activated used receivers in the past. I recently activated a used Tivo unit I got from a friend, but it took me three calls. The first rep said I needed a new card and would not budge. I told her that I had done this in the past and that it could be done. She was very adamant that I needed a new card. I hung up and called back and the second rep was about to activate it but we got disconnected. The third rep went right on through the activation no questions asked.

SirDrake have you checked your bill to make sure D's not charging you a lease fee.I just don't like the idea of paying for a 3 to 4 hundred dollar reciever up front and then turning around to lease it from the each month.

So if the previous owner owed a balance using a particular receiver you can still use that recevier for someone else? Does the balance on DirecTv receivers/cards not transfer like the Dish Network receivers do?

D* receivers can be activated on another account unless the receiver's ID is associated with an account closed for fraud or has not been released from a prior account (stuck in a pending disconnect status.) D* access cards can not be transferred at all except in very limited situations (usually when two people consolidate an account when they marry or move in together) so you should never be stuck with having to pay off someone else's PPV balance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)