Will DirecTV ever add Cox Sports Television?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Who Dat033

Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I am really starting to get tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for DirecTV to add CST. I am not going to go another Hornets season not being able to watch my local team's games on my own TV.

I don't get it, I just don't get it. DirecTV claims that they are the leader in sports. I don't think so! Cox has reached deals with nearly every cable provider in Louisiana, with the exception of Charter. Plus, they've reached a deal with Dish Network. I don't get it, I just don't get it.

I have sent DirecTV many emails on this subject, submitted an online petition with over 500 signatures, here's the link if you want to sign: Cox Sports addition to Direct TV Petition. And just pretty much thrown everything at them but the kitchen sink. What, I ask, what must be done to convince DirecTV to add CST. What could possibly be done to convine DirecTV, WHAT? Please, I need some suggestions.

Why haven't you thrown the sink yet? ;)

But seriously, it could be a contract issue...plain and simple. D* may be willing to show CST on their system, but Cox might be asking for too much per sub. Bottom line: D* is in business to make money, not add content just because 500 people signed a petition and damn the costs. Eventually if there is enough pressure, they may cave and pay what is being asked. So do keep up your fight to get what you want, just realize that you may need more support from the grassroots. Ultimately though it will be Cox/D* that needs to budge on the terms of the retransmission agreement.

I am always suspicious of first time posters who do nothing but whine.

If it has the name "Cox" associated with it I'm sure it sucks just as bad as their cable service. Raoul can attest to how HORRIBLE it is in our area. I don't want it infecting my DirecTV. I'm starting a petition to make sure that nothing named Cox (outside of an adult station) is ever put on D*.

He's a hornets fan...I think he's suffered enough. Also don't they show like 20 hours of ESPN News on there right now?

and Dish has it only in the local area there. It's not in the multi-sport pack like the others.

If it has the name "Cox" associated with it I'm sure it sucks just as bad as their cable service. Raoul can attest to how HORRIBLE it is in our area. I don't want it infecting my DirecTV. I'm starting a petition to make sure that nothing named Cox (outside of an adult station) is ever put on D*.

Don't do that. You will not get the Travel Channel hd.:)

With the changes coming to the sports packages and sports pak channel range, space is being made to organize the RSNs and provide space for more to be added. I would wait until after D11 is turned on, since CST may be one the many additional RSNs D* is going to add in the next few months.

He's a hornets fan...I think he's suffered enough. Also don't they show like 20 hours of ESPN News on there right now?

and Dish has it only in the local area there. It's not in the multi-sport pack like the others.

Yep, it's on the same spotbeam the New Orleans locals are on.

oh dang so its the LOCAL area only...not even a couple states?

Spotbeam coverage of 23s12 on 110w looks like most of LA except for the NW corner, south portion of MS, and little bit of south AL. The drilling rigs in the Gulf should be covered well too! :)

Man I wish they would at least do the spotbeam thing for CSS as well... couldn't watch the early rounds of the SEC baseball tournament or the NCAA regional from Athens because they were on CSS, and they even were producing some of that in HD! I assume it's under the same exemption as CSN Philly, and most of the time it's a terrible channel (the sd picture quality is abysmal, easy to tell the difference when they're showing ESPN News at times vs. the real channel), but it would be nice to have when they have exclusive college sports. They also have the rights to most of the Georgia Force games, and I believe that's where the Peachtree TV Braves games are being simulcasted on cable systems outside of Atlanta, so they may as well just replace 617 with CSS full-time :)

Cox Sports Television is the exclusive regional sports network home of the NBA's New Orleans Hornets. The only way people in Louisiana can watch a Hornets game is on CST. If you don't have CST, you cannot even get the games on League Pass. CST is also the exclusive home of the New Orleans Voodoo, our Arena Football League team. CST broadcasts the New Orleans Saints pre-season games and weekly shows. CST also provides next day rebroadcastsand LSU Tiger's football games. Recently, CST had the exclusive rights in our region to broadcast the SEC Baseball Tournament and the Baton Rouge regional (which had LSU and University of New Orleans).

CST is not exclusive to cable as it was added to DISH at the end of this basketball season. However, DISH only added it to the New Orleans spotbeam and it is not available on satellite to Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe or any other cities in Louisiana. CST actually has its exclusive rights to deliver the programming to parts of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and North/Central Florida. I'm optimistic that DirecTV will add the channel in the near future. I've heard speculation that it cannot be added until DirecTV 11 is on line that way DirecTV can offer it as part of its national RSN package. This way the channel can be offered to all of the CST viewing area and not just put on a single spotbeam.

If they do not get it done by next years baskeball season, then I and many others will be switching to cable or DISH. The Hornets have reached record numbers in season ticket sales and it is likely that the only way to see a game come the beginning of the season, will be on television.

CST is not exclusive to cable as it was added to DISH at the end of this basketball season. However, DISH only added it to the New Orleans spotbeam and it is not available on satellite to Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe or any other cities in Louisiana.

It may not be available due to contracts but the spotbeam that Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and New Orleans locals are on is the same spotbeam. They are different transponders but the same coverage.

So in reality, if you had a receiver in Lafayette or even Lake Charles for that matter that had the ability to receive CST you wouldn't have an issue.

Biloxi and the MS Gulf Coast fall under the spot beam area. I just re-e-mailed dtv about wanting CST. I have NBA League Pass and Hornet games covered by CST are blacked out due to their coverage map.

Man I wish they would at least do the spotbeam thing for CSS as well... couldn't watch the early rounds of the SEC baseball tournament or the NCAA regional from Athens because they were on CSS, and they even were producing some of that in HD! I assume it's under the same exemption as CSN Philly, and most of the time it's a terrible channel (the sd picture quality is abysmal, easy to tell the difference when they're showing ESPN News at times vs. the real channel), but it would be nice to have when they have exclusive college sports. They also have the rights to most of the Georgia Force games, and I believe that's where the Peachtree TV Braves games are being simulcasted on cable systems outside of Atlanta, so they may as well just replace 617 with CSS full-time :)

Here in Detroit, we had an all sports comcast station called Comcast Local (CL). Unfortunately it expired on 3/1/08 and is no more. While it was on I called the programming department and on air talent to inquire why it wasnt on Directv, the answer i was given is that only comcast sportsNETS get RSN/directv coverage. and in order to be a comcast sportsNET you must carry one of the 3 professional sports that has local coverage, MLB/NHL/NBA.

Comcast Local in Detroit tried and failed to land one of these deals , FSN Detroit announced a few months ago that they have wrapped up all 3 teams for the next 10 years and shortly thereafter, "CL" was shut down.

As far as I know, CSS has no professional team contracts with MLB/NBA/NHL. and therefore will NOT be considered for RSN status

Its too bad because CL here in Detroit used to run some great CSS programming including the 07 NCAA Baseball regional from Vanderbilt where Michigan game away the winner in very dramatic fashion.

Hope this helps guys...

Yeah, as Tempting as it is to switch to direct from dish for a change and/or more HD at certain given times, but since I was able to watch some of the late season games once Dish added it and I loved it, now I'm really never leaving dish. I just hope they can set something up where they will show the several games in HD that CST does from time to time on Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)