Will Dish Activate a Receiver I Buy?

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
I have a family member that just updated to HD service a few weeks ago. He got a VIP 222K for an HD TV and a SD TV in the bedroom. He has no desire for a DVR. However....he just won another HD TV in a raffle, and wants to put that in his basement. Since he just upgraded to HD for free, I don't think they will do it again without a big charge for installation. So....I was wondering if he buys a VIP 211k, and I install it for him, can I call Dish to have them activate it? If I buy from ebay, I have to make sure it has a smart card right? I know the antenna has an open rg6 connection, because there is only one wire coming in to the house from it. So is it as simple as buying a VIP 211k, running another rg6 cable from the dish to the receiver, and calling to activate?

Yes, I would make sure to check the receiver & smartcard number with DISH before buying to be sure the receiver can be activated on the account. All receiver do not have a remveable smartcard as a lot are built in. Dish will be able to confirm for you. If you connect to the LNBF and run it to the new receiver, once activated you should be good to go.

I have a family member that just updated to HD service a few weeks ago. He got a VIP 222K for an HD TV and a SD TV in the bedroom. He has no desire for a DVR. However....he just won another HD TV in a raffle, and wants to put that in his basement. Since he just upgraded to HD for free, I don't think they will do it again without a big charge for installation. So....I was wondering if he buys a VIP 211k, and I install it for him, can I call Dish to have them activate it? If I buy from ebay, I have to make sure it has a smart card right? I know the antenna has an open rg6 connection, because there is only one wire coming in to the house from it. So is it as simple as buying a VIP 211k, running another rg6 cable from the dish to the receiver, and calling to activate?

First have them call DISH to be sure,then if you buy from EBay always check the receiver ID# with DISH before you buy,and yes it can be that simple.Good Luck!

If you have the DISH Service Plan you buy it,DISH installs it for $15.;)

If I buy from a place like the Dish Strore for instance, I would not have to worry about smart card etc..... Dish would just activate upon request right?

The smart card should always be a part of such a sale! But note that many Dish receivers have one embedded...

If I buy from a place like the Dish Strore for instance, I would not have to worry about smart card etc..... Dish would just activate upon request right?

Right if you bought from dish store you would not have to worry about, checking smart card.

If I buy a 211k on Ebay without a smart card, what would it cost from Dish to get a smart card for it?

Some have built in smart cards....just make sure if you buy on ebay you get receiver and card numbers and check with dish before you buy, to make sure it is not leased or has a balance owed on it.

What if you have a 222 with a 1000.4 dish pointed at 61/72/77 and want to add a 625 and need to put up a 1000.2 dish? Will they let me activate the 625 if I swap out the 1000.4 with the 1000.2 pointing it at 110/119/129 or are they going to tell me that I cannot activate the 625 and give me all sorts of problems?

What if you have a 222 with a 1000.4 dish pointed at 61/72/77 and want to add a 625 and need to put up a 1000.2 dish? Will they let me activate the 625 if I swap out the 1000.4 with the 1000.2 pointing it at 110/119/129 or are they going to tell me that I cannot activate the 625 and give me all sorts of problems?
Your account is most likely "tagged" as EA and you will most likely have issues. I'd say try DIRT to see what they can do.

This would depend on your location. If your account is set-up as an EA (MPEG4 Only) then the orbitals would need to be changed before the SD receiver can even be added to the account. This would have to be on an account basis only and the answer can vary. If you have a specific account, please PM one of us and we can look into this for you, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)