Will Dish ever have LOGO?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maogdamian

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Seems like most tv providers are following suit with adding MTV networks new logo channel. Working at Directv I take tons of calls from people disconnecting from Dishnetwork and coming to Directv for this channel... Any news on Dishnetwork carrying this channel?

Dish has a channel for the alternative lifestyles thats available on all packages. I cant see that there are "tons" of people migrating for one channel though, remember mtv targets a specific age range and also seems to make an effort to alienate all ages past that age group. That aside Ive never had anyone ask me about the channel in question and working around Ann Arbor michgan wich is a very modern and forward thinking community that has a rather large gay and lesbian community and being a college town. Maybe its a regional thing where your at, who knows but it will only be a small percentage that would drop one provider for another over one specific special interest channel imho.

Since you work at Directv, I saw a note on my bill that Directv
is dropping the "Here" channel on 12/1. Will they still offer it as
a PPV channel for drop it all together? Thanks

Thats a name I havn't heard in a long time "Direct TV." So how's things going since the FCC's ruling against the Sunday Ticket to one provider when the NFL network goes solo? Our DNS has doubled the technicians work force by %100

Van said:
Dish has a channel for the alternative lifestyles thats available on all packages...

And what channel for "the alternative lifestyles" would that be? Lifetime? HGTV? Soapnet?

Tekken said:
Thats a name I havn't heard in a long time "Direct TV." So how's things going since the FCC's ruling against the Sunday Ticket to one provider when the NFL network goes solo? Our DNS has doubled the technicians work force by %100

Wait, wait I thought the NFL Network was just some sh!tty channel that played old Football games in HD.

Tekken said:
Thats a name I havn't heard in a long time "Direct TV."

Huh? What's a name you haven't heard in a long time? No one said "Direct TV" in the thread but you and "DIRECTV" is the correct name so I don't know what name you are referring to.

maogdamian said:
Seems like most tv providers are following suit with adding MTV networks new logo channel. Working at Directv I take tons of calls from people disconnecting from Dishnetwork and coming to Directv for this channel... Any news on Dishnetwork carrying this channel?

Hopefully not, and if they do then it should be a premium channel in which only paid subscribers can view it.

Ray_Air said:
Hopefully not, and if they do then it should be a premium channel in which only paid subscribers can view it.

And what's your reasoning behind that? Logo is set up just like all of MTV's channels (since none of them play music anymore). It's set up just like every other non-movie channel out today, so why should it be treated differently than BET, TBN, Telemundo, Speedvision, ESPN, Fox-Sports, Fox News, etc, etc, etc. (though I am pretty sure I can guess your answer :rolleyes: )

maogdamian said:

Not sure who you think reads these threads but some have been around the satellite block a few times. When I see "tons of calls from people disconnecting from Dishnetwork and coming to Directv for this channel..." my bull**** meter goes off the scale. If it was ESPN or perhaps HBO I might believe it, but the logo channel?

Ray_Air said:

Completely agree. I hope DISH doesn't take up bandwidth for this channel. I don't want to pay for it. If someone wants it, they should pay extra for it.

Tampa8 said:
Not sure who you think reads these threads but some have been around the satellite block a few times. When I see "tons of calls from people disconnecting from Dishnetwork and coming to Directv for this channel..." my bull**** meter goes off the scale. If it was ESPN or perhaps HBO I might believe it, but the logo channel?

Agree as well. I strongly doubt there has been a flood of defections just for this channel.

Well, considering that most accounts of the number of gay men and women in this country put their population at around 10%, I'd say that's a pretty respectable number, and one that would back up maogdamian's claim. Even if it's only half that number, that's a lot of queers.

Just because YOU are put off by what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms, doesn't mean they should be denied the same courtesy afforded sports fans, music fans, black viewers, etc.

Sh*t. I don't see people complaining about a 24/7 wrestling channel. I couldn't imagine a more inane waste of bandwidth filled with the most ridiculous, fake-looking, horribly acted and choreographed, exhibition of bad behavior that only encourages bad manners and poor sportsmanship (even though it is NOT A SPORT).

I certainly don't begrudge someone for wanting to watch that pile of dog sh**, even though it is far worse for American society than anything on LOGO. So, give those who want to have LOGO the same courtesy as those wanting a black channel, or a hunting channel, or a friggin football channel.

Slamminc11 said:
And what channel for "the alternative lifestyles" would that be? Lifetime? HGTV? Soapnet?

Its up in the high channels in the 9400 range, I dont think it runs 24/7 but Ive seen it a few times in the guide and seen one or two of its broadcast's and from what I could tell of it it seems to me that it is a channel that would take the gay and lesbian lifestyle seriously as opposed to anything that mtv has ever atempted to pass off as serious.

Van said:
Its up in the high channels in the 9400 range, I dont think it runs 24/7 but Ive seen it a few times in the guide and seen one or two of its broadcast's and from what I could tell of it it seems to me that it is a channel that would take the gay and lesbian lifestyle seriously as opposed to anything that mtv has ever atempted to pass off as serious.

So it's all good because Dish has a P.A. channel that shows a show called GAY USA which is a news show out of NYC that only runs occasionally. So Because the one channel runs this one show (sometimes) the gay community should be happy with that and not want LOGO?
Despite what you think Van, LOGO is a legitimate channel that does take the gay community seriously and gears it's programming toward the GLBT community. Is it for everyone? Of course not. But then neither is Lifetime, Spike TV, Telemundo, FoxNews, ESPN, BET, OLN (oh wait, we can't count OLN anymore :cool: ) or really any other channel on Dish for everyone.

If my memory serves me correctly, Bravo used to be geared towards gay and lesbians. Then they started airing better programming and got the rest of the population. And they went mainstream. Who's to say that Logo won't do the same. Once they start to get viewers they'll start brainstorming to see how they can get more. More viewers means more advertiser $'s.

chaddux said:
Completely agree. I hope DISH doesn't take up bandwidth for this channel. I don't want to pay for it. If someone wants it, they should pay extra for it.

Well if that's your logic, all the sports fans should pay extra for the ESPN channels, I don't watch that crap. All the ladies should pay extra for WE and the Lifetime channels and why should people without kids in thier home have to pay for channels like Disney and the cartoon network? We all have to pay for channels we don't watch.

chaddux said:
Agree as well. I strongly doubt there has been a flood of defections just for this channel.

Didn't the guy who wrote the original post say that he worked for Directv?
Do you work there too?

BobCA said:
Didn't the guy who wrote the original post say that he worked for Directv?
Do you work there too?

It sounds like you believe EVERYTHING you hear or read which makes you an extremely gullible sucker. Since that's the case, Bob, I'd like to offer you the opportunity to buy some stock in a hot new company that will soon be worth billions. It's called FAKE Corporation and you can buy as many shares as you want. Simply send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you my mailing address where you can send me the check.

Just because someone says they work for DIRECTV doesn't mean they actually work for DIRECTV. How many times have we heard "Guess what my installer said" or "It's true because my brother's neighbor's ex-wife heard it!" Anyone can say anything and it doesn't have to be true. It's more likely that the OP was wanting to stir up interest for the channel by saying that subscribers were switching in large volumes to try to get DISH's attention.

You have to apply the logic test to some of these statements: Is it likely that one single alleged-DIRECTV CSR has been single-handedly taking "tons" of calls from people defecting for LOGO? No way.

Van said:
Dish has a channel for the alternative lifestyles thats available on all packages.

What are you talking about?

I personally would watch LOGO, and I'm straight. I have another straight friend who sent me several e-mails along the lines of "Hey, _______ is on Logo tomorrow" until I told her we didn't get it.

Let's say LOGO has programming that appeals to 80% of all gay and lesbian people and 5% of straight people. That's like 12.5% of the population*. Are you telling me more than 12.5% of the population watch CCTV, CNBC World, NASA, Horse Racing TV, ect? Nothing against those channels, just trying to make a point.

If it wasn't for niche-casting, we'd all still be watching 70's style 12 channel cable systems. And packaging/bundling is what makes it all economically feasible. You pay a nickel so other people can watch LOGO, DIY, G4, ect, and I pay $5.50 so you can watch ESPN.

* showing my work-(.8 x .1) + (.05 x .9) = .08 + .045 = .125

chaddux said:
It sounds like you believe EVERYTHING you hear or read which makes you an extremely gullible sucker. Since that's the case, Bob, I'd like to offer you the opportunity to buy some stock in a hot new company that will soon be worth billions. It's called FAKE Corporation and you can buy as many shares as you want. Simply send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you my mailing address where you can send me the check.

Your smart a*s reply is not worthy of an answer, but it's interesting how defensive and sarcastic you get when someone disagrees with you. I feel sorry for you now.

BobCA said:
Your smart a*s reply is not worthy of an answer, but it's interesting how defensive and sarcastic you get when someone disagrees with you. I feel sorry for you now.

You're the one that believes everything you read. You should feel sorry for yourself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)