Help! Service turned off because of lack of phone connection!

alleng

Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I got home last night, ready to watch lost and find that all of my channels were red!!! I called and checked my balance, it was ok. Then called tech support, He said that he could not pull up my equipment list, it told him to have the customer call another phone number! I hung up and called it, the lady on the other end told me that my signal was off because my recievers are not connected to phone lines!

She said that she needed to run a test and that I must have all of my recievers hooked up and on, only problem is that one of my recievers is packed up in my camper, and this is at 9:30 at night. I convinced here to give me a day to unpack the reciever, so she reactivated my account until tonight.

She said that I had to do the test on all the recivers at one time, or the ones that were not hooked up would be deavtivated and would never be able to be reactivated again on my account.

I have 5 recievers right now, 921, 721, 508, 508, and 301.The reason I don't have them hooked to phone lines is that there are no phone lines near them and I never watch pay per view. Only one that is close to a phone jack and I have never connected it because I have lost too many things to lighting over the years.

She also said that it says in the customer service agreement that they must be hooked to phone lines, That is BS. I have been a customer for over 10 years and the agreement I signed said nothing about a required phone connection. A company cannot change a contract without customer notice. The only reason I did not tell here right then that I was canceling and switching to Directv was that I have spent over $2000 on equipment the last few years. I cannot beleive that they could treat some of there best customers like this, I pay over $130 a month to them, and they turn off my service without even contacting me first!!!

Anyway, Has anyone else had to do this ? and what is envoled in the test? do they need to be hooked to phone lines duing the test?

I dont have another satilite cable in my house for the other reciver I set up an older dish when I use it. Could I hook it up to one of my leads that goes to my 721?

They are going to ask for location IDs, found in the system info screen. The numbers change, so you'll have to have the sats hooked up and available to you while you read off the numbers. If you have your 10 year old contract, you'll probably see in fine print that a phone line is required.

Same thing happened to me last week. The first guy was a real A$$ they gave me 72 hours to get everything hooked up or would be disabled forever. but the second guy I called prior to the 72 hr shut off time was very pleasant I had a 721 that I haven't used for a couple of years and just never bothered to take it off my account. He said no problem he would make a note of it take it off my account and if I ever wanted to use it again just call first or connect it to a phone line, also said you don't have to be connected to a phone line but you are subject to be audited again in the future. The audit only took about 5 minutes for 3 receivers. Hope you get the same guy I got the second time around.

Dish is doing this to help prevent account splitting. They did it to me once (when I had 4 receivers)...now they dont bug me because I told them I am cell phone only (and only have 2 receivers)

OP-You've been a cusotmer for over 10 years (must have got it when they first came out in 1996) and you just knew about the phone thing?

7 posts to 10K :)

I did not know about the phone connection when I originaly signed up, I remember they used to say that you only needed it if you watched pay per view.

I got the same thing this last week. I could not get to two of my receivers and they are now shut down (one in my camper which i just bought the week before and the other in my shop two acres away). I told them that i could not get to them at that time because I just broke my leg and could not get to them. I had one of my three in the house hooked up to the phone line. The rep stated that the one in the camper and the shop needed to be on another account due to not being under the same roof and that there is a law to this. I tried to argue with him about this ecspecially since i bring the one in my camper in to the house and put it into my office 85% of the year.

So 2 of my 5 receivers have ben deactivated. I ended up just giving the receivers to my brother and he had trouble activating them because the rep he talked to stated that they were on my account. I called them back and told them that Dish deactivated them and that I gave them to him. I wish the reps would get there act together sometimes.

I really hope I dont get calls from them all of the time since I dont havve all of my receivers hooked up. I have been waiting for my contract to be up so I can buy a new dual receiver. This left a bad taste in my mouth for Dish though.

this happened to me when i added my 8th receiver to my residential account 3 weeks ago. I had a service call all setup for dish to show the next morn. they never did i called the main help line of course they were no help at all. I then called the receiver audit team and asked them whats going on? They told me they cancelled the service call because i was not phone line complaint, until i was i could not get a tech out to my house to activate my 8th receiver. After shifting the boxes around my house so all were near phone lines I called them back and they finally scheduled for a tech to come out and activate 8th receiver. When I last spoke to receiver audit team a so called manager of that division told me verbatim, My phone lines need to be hooked into receiver 100% of the time otherwise a receiver that failed phone line compliance would be deactivated never to be active on my account again. It's a real pain in the arse but thats Dish the Biggest Ahole on the block.
Thankfully Direct doesn't require this.
dish receivers 3 7200 721 501 522 2 625
for direct 14 receivers 3 SIR-S4040R SIR-S4120R 4 SD-DVR40 SD-DVR80 4 DSR704 DRD430RGA
for bell 3 receivers 6000 used only in sd mode 2 5900
for starchoice 2 receivers 2 dsr 315
all these receivers are hooked upto 5 TV's
one cannot possible have 25 phone lines in their house, at least i don't

"dish receivers 3 7200 721 501 522 2 625
for direct 14 receivers 3 SIR-S4040R SIR-S4120R 4 SD-DVR40 SD-DVR80 4 DSR704 DRD430RGA
one cannot possible have 25 phone lines in their house, at least i don't"

Holy Cow! How many rooms do you have in the house? I count over 20 receivers. Can you watch that much TV?

stone phillips420 said:
this happened to me when i added my 8th receiver to my residential account 3 weeks ago. I had a service call all setup for dish to show the next morn. they never did i called the main help line of course they were no help at all. I then called the receiver audit team and asked them whats going on? They told me they cancelled the service call because i was not phone line complaint, until i was i could not get a tech out to my house to activate my 8th receiver. After shifting the boxes around my house so all were near phone lines I called them back and they finally scheduled for a tech to come out and activate 8th receiver. When I last spoke to receiver audit team a so called manager of that division told me verbatim, My phone lines need to be hooked into receiver 100% of the time otherwise a receiver that failed phone line compliance would be deactivated never to be active on my account again. It's a real pain in the arse but thats Dish the Biggest Ahole on the block.
Thankfully Direct doesn't require this.
dish receivers 3 7200 721 501 522 2 625
one cannot possible have 25 phone lines in their house, at least i don't

WHY

I just finnished, after 3 hours away from work and running and extra cable to hook up the 4900 that was in the RV, They deactivated my 4900. Gave me the setup another account BS. Why didn't they tell me this to begin with. So now I have to setup another account and it won't get the same programing, like the distant nets.

I even asked if I move the reciever full time into my house then can I keep it on? He said, "No, need another account". Basicly calling me a LIAR!!!

This is a bunch of S@!#. If you pay for tv you should be able to get what you want and not be forced to watch inferior local networks!

Activating a new account is a good idea...

It'll allow you to cancel the service on it (and deactivate the account from the receiver so that you can sell it), and sell all your receivers on ebay when you switch to a company that doesn't demand such ridiculous things :)

RandallA said:
"dish receivers 3 7200 721 501 522 2 625
one cannot possible have 25 phone lines in their house, at least i don't"

Holy Cow! How many rooms do you have in the house? I count over 20 receivers. Can you watch that much TV?

more money than common sense comes to mind

RandallA said:
8 rooms, no i cannot watch that much TV but my tivos/dvr can
Nebugeater said:
Because in America I'm free to spend my money as I wish
GaryPen said:
Insanity could be one reason.
Appreciate the kind words Gary lol
Van said:
more money than common sense comes to mind
Actually I'm quite wise as to how i spend my money, thank god your employer cant tally a bill correctly for the life of them

I don't have a phone line in the house, I only use my cell phone, I’m not kidding. What will E* say if I ever get audited?

I bet Dish will lose as many honest customers as cheaters that they catch! Doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)