Will Dish run an extra line for the future?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Hi all, my install date is tomorrow...

I'm in Los Angeles so I'm guessing I'm going to get a 1000.2. As I understand it, it's got 3 outputs.

I'm getting installed for 2 DVRs. But my situation is this...

The dish is going to be (or at least that's the plan) mounted on the roof of the second story where an existing DirecTV dish currently sits. Then the coax cables will run down the side and enter into the garage through an exterior wall. The garage has a shared wall with a little network closet I've set up where I've got all my wiring for my rooms. So a quick run of the cables to the network closet (the hole to the other side is already there), and from that point on, it's just a matter of connecting the cables to the coax feeds into the rooms.

Since all the wires are going to be going to the same network closet, will the installer be willing to run a 3rd coax along with the other 2? I would imagine it wouldn't be any more work than running 2.

It benefits Dish because if I decide to add another receiver, all the cabling is there and ready to go, and they probably don't even need to send a tech out to hook it up, much less having to go up to the 2nd story roof again just to run an extra cable. I'm just thinking of getting everything done all at once nice and neatly...

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'd ask the tech if he would run it. If he gives you a reason why he can't do it, offer him $20. That should cover any extra labor, cable or lack of motivation.

The question was: Will Dish run an extra cable....? Officially, no. A free basic install is described as what is required to support the receivers in the customer's installation. If a third cable is to be considered as future use, the previous posts could apply. You could approach the installer by asking him to run the cable and offer to pay. If the guy is like most that I know, you will get your wish without having to shell out the $$$$. This would probably not apply if the length of the extra cable is unreasonable.

If you're cool about asking, especially before I get the dish up, I'd probably do it for nothing, were I the tech coming to your place. It depends on the tech.

To the OP..

What DVR's are you getting? One or two tuner DVR's? Do you want to back feed tuner 2 to additional TV's at their location(s)? That would require two cables to each DVR. Do you have a wireless broadband network in the house? Maybe one 922 is all you need.

Thanks for all the responses! A tip is not a big deal, it was already in the plans unless the guy does an exceptionally poor job...

The DirecTV dish is getting replaced. The original wiring job was horrible, the switch was placed externally dangling by the cables, and each cable was fanned out and drilled through exterior walls of each room. So all of that is getting scrapped. I've already had my rooms professionally wired with 2 sets of coax all leading into the network closet.

I'm getting a 922 and a 722. Since each room is wired with 2 coax cables, I will have the two DVRs in two different rooms, then backfeed through the 2nd coax cables into the 3rd room.

I have ethernet in each room as well.

The question about the wireless broadband and the suggestion that 1 922 is all I need... Are you implying I should get the TV Everywhere adapter in lieu of the 722?

I do like having the second DVR to record additional shows, and people in the house want to watch different things... Plus the TV Everywhere adapter isn't available yet, is it?

Dish is testing a dongle to basically turn the 722 into a 922. If the receivers are plugged into the wall they can communicate via Dishcomm over the power outlets resulting in no extra equipment needed.

You must be a very trusting person...I'm not sure I want to eat something from some body I've haven't met...what if they're a bad cook? :D

Ghpr13:)

I agree!! I never accept cooked food. Too many weirdos in the world today, (no offense). Although I did get a sealed box of frozen waffles once as a tip! REALLY!
icon10.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)