Will I be forced to get a 622?

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Dish customer 7 years. I have a 942 (leased) and 921 (owned).

I get my HD locals with antenna, therefore I see no need to get a 622 for UNIHD and the added VOOM channels.

As Scott G. has stated Mar 07 is switch to all MPEG 4. How will I be approached by DISH? "Please no flames"

Thanks

Did you get the reduced price on the original HD pack when you leased the 942? I expect that will end when your lease term is up, but I don't think they will force you to get a new leased receiver. They would probably just waive the requirement of subscribing to an HD programming pack, since after that point the 921 and 942 will no longer be HD receivers. They will still make great SD receivers though.

No way, are you guys saying I will stop receiving my HD channels on my 811 NEXT MONTH ALREADY?

I'm going to purchase a 622, turn in a leased 811, and keep our leased 942. I may opt for the 942-->622 Dish'n It Up upgrade after 1 April, but then again I may keep it until E* is forced to replace it when they migrate to MPEG-4 HD only.

bdemz said:
Dish customer 7 years. I have a 942 (leased) and 921 (owned).

I get my HD locals with antenna, therefore I see no need to get a 622 for UNIHD and the added VOOM channels.

As Scott G. has stated Mar 07 is switch to all MPEG 4. How will I be approached by DISH? "Please no flames"

Thanks
Wat till we get to 2007 before worrying, still a long way between now and then. The March 2007 date was one that was thrown out at CES by a few Dish Employees, however if you have been following this industry for any time you would know what is said usually is not done. :)

This is not unprecedented....

When 8PSK came about 5000's, and 6000's all needed to be upgraded. There was simulcast for awhile, but it didn't take long for E* to shut down the QPSK channels (others probably remember the timeline).

The switch will take longer now because there are many more HD receivers in the field.

5000/6000 people were given a 0$ path (811 or 8PSK module) to upgrade with a 1 year commitment.

The deal now will probably not be a good. Eventually, it'll probably become $0 to swap the 921/942 to a leased 622. Still not a very good deal for those that own (especially compared to those that are leasing the 942).

In the meantime, dish will try and suck the $299 out of as many people as they can.

I doubt they will give us free upgrades for those who wait last minute. When they switch to mpeg4 completly it's probably upgrade or no longer receiver HD, and you will no longer charged for the old HD packages. That way you can't say your paying for something you can't receive

At least the 921 and 942 will still be able to receive (and record) OTA HD broadcasts. The 5000 overnight became useless for its intended purpose - receiving HD (and recording it on an HTPC :D )