Will I keep HD for Life?

jmz44

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Hi, I currently have AT 200 with HD for Life, grandfathered in. If I drop down to AT 120 will I lose HD for Life and be charged the $10 extra. Thanks for the help.

The answer is no.

I think I read here that you can even drop down to any package and keep HD for Life if you had HD for Life grandfathered in. Somebody here can correct me if that's wrong.

Thanks for the help. I'd love to keep AT 200 but Dish's price increase along with 4 other price increases has made it necessary to drop down in the package. Too bad Dish doesn't have a bundle package for TV, phone and internet. Thanks again.

I too will be doing some downgrading with these new price increases. The price of watching TV is getting out of hand. I remember when I moved into my current home in 1978 my cable bill was 5.50$ a month and had all kinds of channels and no boxes were required. I know there was no HD at the time, but still I was happy. Sat. and cable providers are eventually are going to force consumers into other ways of watching TV. Being forced to pay for channels you don't watch is not right.

Thanks for the help. I'd love to keep AT 200 but Dish's price increase along with 4 other price increases has made it necessary to drop down in the package. Too bad Dish doesn't have a bundle package for TV, phone and internet. Thanks again.

From everything I read on the Dish forum the LAST thing you want is DishNet unless you rarely want to use it, lots of complaints!

I dropped my landline & went to BasicTalk, $12 month total charge, saved me $22 a month for a phone that gets used very little anyway.

I had HDFL and dropped down to Dish America and was told that I still had hdfl if I ever upgraded. In MY Account it ever stated that I had HD for Life, but a year or so ago it was removed. So, like any Dish promise, the rules constantly change. Remember Platinum, we were promised aql HD add on for two years and before the two years were up, Platinum WAS GONE. Dish always reneges on their promises. That is the only thing that you can count on with Dish. ask DIRT and see what lies they tell you.

HDFFL? I guess it all depends on how long you live.

Any lifetime guarantee depends not only on your life span but that of whoever offered it to you, and the technology behind it.

If you have been into backing up your computers for the past 30 years, you will remember a variety of tape formats. even if you still have the tapes and the drives and the controllers, they will no longer plug into the modern motherboards. So you can stare at the backup tape but you can no longer see the data.

I had HDFL and dropped down to Dish America and was told that I still had hdfl if I ever upgraded. In MY Account it ever stated that I had HD for Life, but a year or so ago it was removed. So, like any Dish promise, the rules constantly change. Remember Platinum, we were promised aql HD add on for two years and before the two years were up, Platinum WAS GONE. Dish always reneges on their promises. That is the only thing that you can count on with Dish. ask DIRT and see what lies they tell you.
Platinum was not gone, as in yanked. It morphed into BB@Home. Same price, more offerings
(At the time)

but even us gradfathered HDFL will lose it after 2 years from now and we will eventually have to pay the 10 dollar Hd fee, correct? Plesase feel free to clarify.

but even us gradfathered HDFL will lose it after 2 years from now and we will eventually have to pay the 10 dollar Hd fee, correct? Plesase feel free to clarify.

From what I have read and understand no, and hopefully that stays

All FEES and Prices for Programming are always up for changing at any time. It says this in the small print in the customer agreement. So No matter what DISH says now , it is subject to being changed at any time. Especially if the bean counters want more revenue. The latest "grandfathering" on Hopper fees just last May are now going up in January. So never say never in relation to fees. Now if they do start charging an Hd fee for all subs at $10.00 a month , you can bet that they will lose most of their HD base. Because HD is now the NORM not the exception in most households. Of course they could morph this fee into the dvr fee or a new fee combination that has yet to be defined. Look at 2010 when they started charging $17.00 a month for an additional Vip receiver fee for dual tuners like 622/722/722k dvrs. That was a combination of additional receiver fee , dvr fee and tv 2 connection fees.

I disagree 100%. The HD fee I don't see as something that can be changed for anyone who has it, if they stay a subscriber. In particular, but not only those who paid to have it. And I'm not convinced new subs in the future will pay it necessarily. There may well be a different format for getting it free when the time comes.
It's my understanding DISH has said the fee would apply only to new subscribers( and in the future not right now) after becoming one after a certain date this year.

Read the price increase details. Nowhere does it say HD for life will be cancelled for existing customers. Why the angst and whining about something that hasn't happened and hasn't been proposed?

The OP's question was asked and answered.

Read the price increase details. Nowhere does it say HD for life will be cancelled for existing customers. Why the angst and whining about something that hasn't happened and hasn't been proposed? The OP's question was asked and answered.

attachment.php

So what if I sign up for Dish today (presently with Direct)? Will I still qualify for the HD for life? I just want to save money but want/need some sports channels in HD.

Brad