Will installer do a wall mount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It wasn't allowed and we didn't carry masonry anchors for dishes when I was a tech for Ironwood.

I do them but our company states we weren't allow to do mounting on brick walls or chimney, other masonry are ok. I think the reason is liability that the bricks might crumble or something.

Results

After reviewing the options with the installer, I decided to pay for a pole mount. I'm happy with the result.

I did notice that there isn't any ground wire. Is this not necessary for a ground mount on a metal pole?

I did notice that there isn't any ground wire. Is this not necessary for a ground mount on a metal pole?
A ground wire is required for a pole mount. Even if the pole met all of the requirements for a ground in and of itself (most poles aren't buried deep enough to qualify and are substantially insulated by the concrete), it would still need to be bonded to the house system via a fat copper wire.

After reviewing the options with the installer, I decided to pay for a pole mount. I'm happy with the result.

A ground wire is required for a pole mount. Even if the pole met all of the requirements for a ground in and of itself (most poles aren't buried deep enough to qualify and are substantially insulated by the concrete), it would still need to be bonded to the house system via a fat copper wire.

Harshness is correct, but it can be grounded by the 17ga messenger wire to the ground block/mutliswitch, after which it would be a 10ga wire to an approved ground point.

Ground - Required

I called Directv and they confirmed that the dish should be grounded. They will be coming back out but as they won't just do the work with no one home, they will have to wait until my schedule permits. I also insisted on compensation -- they offered 3 free months of Showtime.

How does this crap get this far?

A wall mount is a major structural deal. You cut the sheet rock, run cable and other wire behind the TV to a central location. There is a mount involved. None of that is even suggested in the FREE basic installation.

Send the tech packing.........find someone else to do the work for free. AND if if the rig falls off the wall...be sure to sue everyone involved!

Price wall mounts at a few dealers. FREE, yeah, right.

Joe

a tech with an attitude.. what a surprise.

DTV contracts out a lot of their work and many of their installers are pretty crummy. If you want it mounted to a block wall, I would suggest getting some 5/16" parasleeve anchors and a 5/16" masonry drill bit. You can get them at Lowe's. They have over 400 pounds of support strength on each one and he should use 4 or more if he puts up the braces. Pretty easy to install too. The installer should prefer this mount as it keeps him off the ladder. I use them as well. They aren't on any approved materials lists, but it would take a truck to pull a dish off the wall with a bunch of these bad boys holding it there.

sleeve-anchor_lg2.jpg

I have been using tapcons....Those hold very well too. I can put up a mast with tapcons and hang on the thing. It doesn't move...I am aboput 200lbs..

I have been using tapcons....Those hold very well too. I can put up a mast with tapcons and hang on the thing. It doesn't move...I am aboput 200lbs..

I like tapcons too, but I don't like swapping out masts on jobs that have tapcons. At least with the sleeve anchors I can remove the nut and put the new mast to the wall. If it doesn't line up, a quick hit with a metal bit does the trick.

On a brick wall? Sorry, D* would not let us install to brick walls when I worked for them. We didn't carry the stuff required to mount a dish to brick or cinder blocks.

That's odd. Everywhere I have worked, DTV or Dish, mortar mounts have been a no no..Always penetrate the brick/block. Mortar mounts fail QC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)