Will MPEG-4 change E*'s view on OTA?

Bradtothebone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
KC Area
With all the recent talk of HD local-into-local (since the VOOM satellite purchase), and the transition to MPEG-4, this question comes to mind:

Will the next generation MPEG-4 receivers and DVR's support OTA at all? Think about it.......If you were Charlie (or Rupert, for that matter), would you want to give people an easy way to get "free" HD locals if you were offering HD locals on the satellite?

Another question: What would you charge for HD LIL's if you were Charlie or Rupert? $10.00/mo? $12.00/mo? I wouldn't pay a dime for them, because I get them OTA for free, but if you are used to paying $6.00 for compressed SD locals, you might be tempted.

For this reason (among others), I believe I'll be using my 921 for some time to come.

What do you all think?

Brad

Bradtothebone said:
... For this reason (among others), I believe I'll be using my 921 for some time to come.

What do you all think?

Brad
If they go to MPEG-4 for everything, the ONLY thing you'll use the 921 for is OTA. :)

Bradtothebone said:
With all the recent talk of HD local-into-local (since the VOOM satellite purchase), and the transition to MPEG-4, this question comes to mind:

Will the next generation MPEG-4 receivers and DVR's support OTA at all? Think about it.......If you were Charlie (or Rupert, for that matter), would you want to give people an easy way to get "free" HD locals if you were offering HD locals on the satellite?

Another question: What would you charge for HD LIL's if you were Charlie or Rupert? $10.00/mo? $12.00/mo? I wouldn't pay a dime for them, because I get them OTA for free, but if you are used to paying $6.00 for compressed SD locals, you might be tempted.

For this reason (among others), I believe I'll be using my 921 for some time to come.

What do you all think?

Brad

E* and D* are not only competing with each other but also cable. Many cable systems already include HD locals for free or with subscription to their HD package. I don't see the satellite HD locals being priced any higher than the SD ones currently are, but they may require a subscription to an HD package.

I don't see either provider doing away with OTA tuners. They could offer an entry level box sans OTA but I don't think the minimal cost savings would be worth the effort.

NightRyder

mdonnelly said:
If they go to MPEG-4 for everything, the ONLY thing you'll use the 921 for is OTA. :)

That may be true, eventually, but I think it will be a long, long time before all the SD channels and the existing HD channels are converted to MPEG-4. ;)

Brad

before DTV all the STBs came with an NTSC port so why wouldn't all future STBs come with an 8VSB port? I would expect for D* and E* to have an 8VSB port on all STBs even if they are SD only.

caesar gdi said:
before DTV all the STBs came with an NTSC port so why wouldn't all future STBs come with an 8VSB port? I would expect for D* and E* to have an 8VSB port on all STBs even if they are SD only.
If I were the FCC, and I wanted to grow digital TV in the USA, I would MANDATE 8VSB on every satellite/cable tuner.

caesar gdi said:

I think what you are referring to is a "pass-through" port. This typically works like the old VCR's did, with a "TV/SAT" switch. This is fine if you have a built-in tuner in your tv, and you want all the satellite channels to go to your tv via RF channel 3/4. This was/is mostly for older tv's with no A/V inputs.

I don't think STB's will ever have an 8VSB pass-through, as any tv capable of receiving 8VSB would also have some other kind of connectivity that you would be using instead.

Brad

But back to my original point. Satellite receivers have never (to my knowledge) had NTSC receivers in them, even BEFORE D* and E* started offering locals. This, of course, is because everyone had a TV or VCR that already had one or more NTSC tuners in it, and DVRs were few and far between.

Right now, ATSC tuners are still fairly rare, and, by putting them in their receivers, E* and D* are sweetening the pot for HD subscribers who can utilize them, especially because neither is able (at this moment) to offer HD locals. This is a great situation for consumers, because E* and D* are able to offer an integrated DVR solution for satellite and OTA.

Fast-forward to MPEG-4 times. Both E* and D* are offering HD locals. Why would they now want to put OTA ATSC tuners in their receivers? By that time, their customers will no-doubt have several ways to receive HD OTA, but only ONE INTEGRATED DVR solution - satellite LIL's.

Brad

Brad your right I just found out that the ports that I thought was an NTSC tuner was just a passthru to your TV/VCR.... sorry!

Bradtothebone said:
But back to my original point. Satellite receivers have never (to my knowledge) had NTSC receivers in them, even BEFORE D* and E* started offering locals. This, of course, is because everyone had a TV or VCR that already had one or more NTSC tuners in it, and DVRs were few and far between.
Brad

I haven't tried to hook up an antenna to anything except for my 811, but I seem to remember the model 5000 had something special that no other receiver (at that time) had. I think it had the ability to place your own labels on the channels received through an antenna. With that said, it had to have a NTSC receiver inside.

Just checked Dish's website for a manual on the 5000, but they don't show one for it (too old I guess!). They do have a manual online for the other receiver I have, which is a Dishplayer 7100. On page 20 of the manual, it talks about hooking up an antenna or cable to a connector. Sounds to me like they have built SOME sat receivers with NTSC receivers in them, maybe not all.

Anthony

Bradtothebone said:

What do you all think?

Brad

For directv: the new DirecTV HD DVR will support 2 OTAs, with directv you will pay $5 for HD LIL and SD LIL if you can get or want them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)