Will new dish be needed with new D* satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BrianEK

Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
With D* launching 4 new satellites between now and 2007 will I need to upgrade my dish to receive these signals? I know about probably needing a new box when mpeg-4 compression is used but is a new dish needed with all the new satellites being launched? I currently have the latest 3 pronged 18x24" dish.

charper1 said:
rumor has it that a new multi-LNB dish will be available for those that will require them.

I don't know much about this but since the new satellites are at 99 & 103, and they are in a different frequency band than the older satellites from what I've read, Ka (old ones are Ku I beleive), there will be new equipment on the dish side.

yes, a new dish will be required. everything i've read says it will be a one dish solution with 5 LNBs

Make that 4. Yes a new dish is required and it will be a small dish but a little bit bigger than the current triple LNB dish and will have 5LNBs and it will have a built-in multiswitch and when used with the media server it only needs one line run to the media server and that would allow all rooms connected via wireless adapter to watch a live show in different rooms and record upto 4 live shows at a time again all with one cable. Also I'm hearing that other rooms using client boxes won't need a line run from the dish to watch a live show or playback a recording. So this system will have one cable going from the dish to the media server. All other rooms will be wireless without cables.

Will there be the ability to be hard wired if you choose? Other RF devices can run some nasty interference with wireless. Will this D* wireless be 11g? I wish they were partnered with d-link so the 11g would have a max rate of 108mbps when used with d-link products, yet fully backward compatible.

Depends, SD boxes will only probably require the base g standard. HD boxes will still need the actual coax run to the unit (it's simply too much raw data transmission wise, plus you have to deal with the latency issues). SO the answer is yes and no. My question is will the boxes still require the damn plain ole phone line or will they finally go to broadband download (if the sub has it). This is a real issue for me, because I am looking hard at some VOIP services right now (SBC is a price gouger in my area).

ocnier said:
My question is will the boxes still require the damn plain ole phone line or will they finally go to broadband download (if the sub has it). This is a real issue for me, because I am looking hard at some VOIP services right now (SBC is a price gouger in my area).

It is my understanding that downloads do not come from phone, but from satellite. If you have Tivo, VOIP will work in some instances. There is a thread at Tivocommunity discussing it.

I agree that SBC is a price gouger. I finally just went down to just a plain phone line with dial tone only - no extras for $22 per month including their service plan. Never use the phone other than to receive calls. Use cell phone for everything else.

I am assuming this means you will need 5 rg6 runs out to the dish from inside?

jim

LonghornXP said:
Make that 4. Yes a new dish is required and it will be a small dish but a little bit bigger than the current triple LNB dish and will have 5LNBs and it will have a built-in multiswitch and when used with the media server it only needs one line run to the media server and that would allow all rooms connected via wireless adapter to watch a live show in different rooms and record upto 4 live shows at a time again all with one cable. Also I'm hearing that other rooms using client boxes won't need a line run from the dish to watch a live show or playback a recording. So this system will have one cable going from the dish to the media server. All other rooms will be wireless without cables.

This sounds GREAT. I really do hope Dish Network also has a one wire run solution for four tuners and gets capability to run the other three tuners to the other rooms wirelessly when the MPEG-4 technology comes out. DirecTv IS moving forward with their technology in a big way with their hardware swapout taking advantage of what they can, so will you do the same Dish Network or be left behind?

Tonedeaf said:
It is my understanding that downloads do not come from phone, but from satellite. If you have Tivo, VOIP will work in some instances. There is a thread at Tivocommunity discussing it.

Indeed, the phone line is only used for command messages (like purchase informations or access card authorization requests). The bandwidth on the phone protocol just cannot allow for large file transfers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts