Will OTA chanels work in guide/DVR?

saidiadude

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
My non-techie folks have a 522 and are well out of contract. I'd like to upgrade them to the HD only package and the 722 this summer. We'll probably cancel service and create a new contract. Some questions:

- They have an outdoor antenna which can pick up OTA HD channels. Will these show up in the Guide?
- If so, then I assume they will not have to do any extra work to use the DVR record function on these channels? I can do an initial set up for them if needed.
- If not, is there a way (other than subscribe to them via Dish) to force the OTA HD channels to show up on the guide? In addition, will the DVR record on these channels with "one click" or is there a trick to the process (i.e. manually set up a timer, etc)?
- Separate issue: which dish antenna should they use? In addition to the HD package, they'll need some Int'l channels (611 & 614 in Southern CA)

Thanks for your help

My non-techie folks have a 522 and are well out of contract. I'd like to upgrade them to the HD only package and the 722 this summer. We'll probably cancel service and create a new contract.

Why? They won't see you as a "new" customer, unless it's under a new name/social.

Some questions:

- They have an outdoor antenna which can pick up OTA HD channels. Will these show up in the Guide?

The channels will show up, but there won't be any guide data, not even PSIP. You only get EPG data for OTA if you subscribe to locals via satellite.

- If so, then I assume they will not have to do any extra work to use the DVR record function on these channels? I can do an initial set up for them if needed.

There is a way to set up to record by setting manual timers. A bit more work than clicking an EPG, but it works just like on old VCRs.

- If not, is there a way (other than subscribe to them via Dish) to force the OTA HD channels to show up on the guide? In addition, will the DVR record on these channels with "one click" or is there a trick to the process (i.e. manually set up a timer, etc)?

See prev reply.

- Separate issue: which dish antenna should they use? In addition to the HD package, they'll need some Int'l channels (611 & 614 in Southern CA)

Thanks for your help

The installers will figure out which dish, you don't need to worry about that.

yes your ota locals will show up in the guide. if you want the detailed guide info for your ota you still need to sub to locals.

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to see that local OTA channels will show up in the EPG. I assume they'll be able to use one touch recording for OTA then (neither one of you specified if one touch recording worked on OTA). I'm not too concerned about the PSIP as they dont use the DVR often for local channels - maybe once or twice a week.

Navychop: We'll cancel and set up a new sub to get the latest deal. Existing customers usually don't get a good deal during renewal. They'll have the system for at least 2 years, so getting locked into a contract is not an issue. This seems to be the best deal so far: DishStore

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to see that local OTA channels will show up in the EPG. I assume they'll be able to use one touch recording for OTA then (neither one of you specified if one touch recording worked on OTA). I'm not too concerned about the PSIP as they dont use the DVR often for local channels - maybe once or twice a week.

Navychop: We'll cancel and set up a new sub to get the latest deal. Existing customers usually don't get a good deal during renewal. They'll have the system for at least 2 years, so getting locked into a contract is not an issue. This seems to be the best deal so far: DishStore

Do not assume anything. You can easily record OTA when used with guide data, however you need to subscribe to your local package in order to receiver the guide info. If you do not subscribe, all the guide will say is 'digital service'.

My non-techie folks have a 522 and are well out of contract. I'd like to upgrade them to the HD only package and the 722 this summer. We'll probably cancel service and create a new contract. Some questions:

Just call and upgrade to the HD package. They will send an installer, take out the 522 and install a 722. It should cost $50 or so (after rebates maybe). No reason to cancel and re-order, cause it will probably cost more that way.

One touch will not work. You will have to manually set a timer unless you subscribe to satellite provided locals.

You cannot be considered a new sub that way if you use the same name/social/cr card. Must be different.

Do not assume anything. You can easily record OTA when used with guide data, however you need to subscribe to your local package in order to receiver the guide info. If you do not subscribe, all the guide will say is 'digital service'.

I no longer use timers with ota. With my locals, the info seems to come and go, but the timers wont be reset. I will check it and the timer is there, and if I forget to check it before it should record, it could be gone and will not record. I just do the timers on the bad quality dish channels instead of ota. Seems to work with record new while ota is haphazard. Most shows I dont care enough about the pq to babysit the recording. I have a 722.

Thanks for the info guys. It would be nice to be able to record the OTA uncompressed channels with one button recording. Guess they'll have to subscribe local channels also :-(

Navychop: using a different credit card/name is not a prob. The current account is in my dad's name. They'll use my mom's name and different credit card for the new account if DishStore will give us a discount/rebate for HD only + Int'l packages.

i know this might sound crazy but the $5 are worth it when you think how convenient it is to have the guide info.

Thanks for the info guys. It would be nice to be able to record the OTA uncompressed channels with one button recording. Guess they'll have to subscribe local channels also :-(

Navychop: using a different credit card/name is not a prob. The current account is in my dad's name. They'll use my mom's name and different credit card for the new account if DishStore will give us a discount/rebate for HD only + Int'l packages.
It depends on your locals apparently, because we have locals via OTA and have never had problems with guide info changing. We subscribe to locals through the Dish (for the $5) and have had very few problems with recordings not working (and usually it is because of bad guide data), not changes that happened after timers were set up.

We regularly use the One button recording, just like we do with all other satellite channels.

Geoff

I no longer use timers with ota. With my locals, the info seems to come and go, but the timers wont be reset. I will check it and the timer is there, and if I forget to check it before it should record, it could be gone and will not record. I just do the timers on the bad quality dish channels instead of ota. Seems to work with record new while ota is haphazard. Most shows I dont care enough about the pq to babysit the recording. I have a 722.
This is not normal - you have a problem with your OTA signal strength, your receiver, or both. OTA channels have worked fine for me for nearly 2 years without one hiccup.

If you add DVR Advantage to your package, the cost of adding locals is cheaper. My net gain with DVR Advantage and locals was about $1.30.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)