Will Sony's PlayStation 4 have Blu-ray? Someone thinks not.

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Why the Playstation 4 won't have Blu-ray | The Digital Home - Don Reisinger's take on the tech closest to home - CNET News

One of the key components in the Playstation 3 won't be in the Playstation 4 if Sony plays its cards right. And which component is that?

It's Blu-ray drive.

I know Sony zealots will probably scoff at the very thought of Blu-ray not being included in the Playstation 4 because of their belief that so much of Sony's future is tied to Blu-ray, but I'm not willing to sip the Kool-Aid.

To me, Blu-ray is the LaserDisc of its time. It's not nearly as useful as the DVD that it's trying to supplant, and the future is coming on so quickly that it may not have the time to cement itself in the industry before HD downloads become the next big thing in the space.

To make matters worse, I simply don't see how we can categorically say that Blu-ray was such a major part of Sony's success this year with the Playstation 3. Let's be honest--is the average mainstream user who isn't tech-savvy at all, really buying a Playstation 3 to watch the same movies they have on DVD already?

But the fact that the Playstation 4 won't feature Blu-ray goes far beyond the fact that it's not as coveted in the Playstation 3 as some want to believe. In reality, it's more likely that the Playstation 4 won't have Blu-ray than you may think.

The Playstation 4 should be made available in the next three to five years. During that time, Sony will need to work on getting Blu-ray into more homes and try to supplant DVD as the leader in the media space.

But how will it do that? The main advantage DVD still enjoys is that it's mobile and ubiquitous. You can bring a DVD from your house, play it in your car en route to your buddy's place, and finish it when you get to his house. You can't do that with Blu-ray and the chances of it happening soon are slim.

It took DVD almost a decade to reach that kind of saturation, and Blu-ray simply doesn't have that much time. With companies like Apple, Amazon.com, Netflix, and others quickly moving towards a home environment that doesn't require a disc, but rather a download or streaming service, Blu-ray can't compete.

It's becoming easier and easier to stream movies from your computer to your HDTV. A Roku Netflix box means Blu-ray isn't even needed anymore, and cable companies offer VOD service for those that don't feel like popping a DVD into the player. And as broadband speeds increase, making HD downloads more relevant, Blu-ray finds itself squeezed out by the past and the future.

And all the while, Sony is left to make the decision of whether or not it wants to tie its next video game console to an irrelevant format.

But don't take my word for it. Andy Griffiths, the director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK--a strong Blu-ray supporter--told Pocket-lint earlier this month that Blu-ray would be dead in five years and forgotten in 10.

"I think it (Blu-ray) has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10," he told Pocket-lint in an interview.

Sony has also been making waves with a new brand of Bravia HDTVs, which will work with the company's MovieLink technology, making Blu-ray and even DVD useless by streaming content directly to the HDTV without the need for a set-top box. If that doesn't make Blu-ray irrelevant, what does?

Granted, the next iteration of the Playstation will need a format to play games on and it might be easier for Sony to use Blu-ray, but I'm not so sure it has to. Microsoft has done just fine using DVDs with the Xbox 360, and game developers have shown that DVDs can still be a fine solution. Even better, DVD production will be even cheaper when the next generation rolls around, and although Blu-ray will be too, it'll undoubtedly cost more to use that format instead of DVD. And in an industry that's being dominated by high cost and diminishing returns, developers will want to save money in any way they can.

The argument is oftentimes made that DVD was experiencing the same issues Blu-ray is today and everything will turn out just fine. And while that's true on a number of levels, the argument fails to address the fact that DVD wasn't being impacted so heavily by the future the way Blu-ray is. After all, the idea of HD downloads and streaming movies to an HDTV were hopes and dreams when DVD first made a splash.

Sony learned quite a few lessons during this generation. It learned that developers really do matter and making them happy is a key component in being successful. It learned that people want a video game console first and an entertainment device second. Not the other way around. And most importantly, it learned that providing a worthwhile experience while keeping the device's price down is just as important as the games.

Can Sony truly learn from those mistakes if it hitches itself to the format that representatives from other companies say will die soon and even its own strategy suggests the same outcome?

Assuming what the analysts say is true--Sony will release a new console in three to five years and Blu-ray will be dead in five--how can the company justify putting a Blu-ray player into the Playstation 4? Does it really want to tie itself to a loser even though it spent so much money trying to make it a winner?

Given the company's financial woes in the video game space as of late, that could turn into its greatest blunder.

The technology industry is pushing Blu-ray aside as more capable offerings become available. I think Sony knows that already and will try to milk Blu-ray for as long as possible. But once the Playstation 4 is announced, the company will make its strategy known: it will forgo support for Blu-ray in the video game space and start focusing on streaming and HD downloads--the future of the industry.

sony already said the ps4 will not have a blu ray drive, as a matter of fact they said it wouldnt have any optical drive. It will be a networked box and you download/play all the games online. this is something they said about 4-5 months ago if not more, if im not mistaken. But who knows with sony alot can change, just look at everything that changed from the orignal plans for the ps3

I don't think we're 3-5 years from home consoles abandoning media, if they didn't have Blu-Ray then the only reason to abandon it would be for a better performing proprietary optical format. Perhaps Flash media could make an appearance.

I think they're painting themselves in a corner, for future backwards compatibility they need a drive that can play Blu-Ray discs and software that can interpret instructions meant for the Cell processor.

As of March 25, 2008:
9 mil. Blu Discs Sold To Date; 3 million Already This Year
Hollywood In Hi-Def

I've also read, but can't remember site or I'd link you to it, that Blu ray is selling more and faster than dvd ever did, in the same time period. So, blu ray is much more popular than dvd, with the general public.

As of March 25, 2008:
9 mil. Blu Discs Sold To Date; 3 million Already This Year
Hollywood In Hi-Def

I've also read, but can't remember site or I'd link you to it, that Blu ray is selling more and faster than dvd ever did, in the same time period. So, blu ray is much more popular than dvd, with the general public.

I'd say that's the wrong inference. What you define as the general public is a very different set of people now. People are more into new technology and jumping on the latest and greatest. If Blu-Ray was doing worse than DVD relative to it's launch then there would be reasons to be concerned but I'd say it's current success is to be expected given current culture.

Just another guy trying to keep fighting an anti Blu-ray war. As Elstevo said, if they want backward compatibility for PS3 games, they'll need a BD drive.

Guy misrepresented what Griffiths said. He never said "... Blu-ray would be dead in five years and forgotten in 10...."

Just got an axe to grind. And clinging to that old downloading of HD fantasy. If he can't come up with better stuff to write than tilting at old windmills, he might want to find another job.

If downloads, PPV, and VOD were such compelling options for consummers, they would have supplanted DVDs years ago. Studios will be very reluctant to make a high-resolution video file as "ubiquitous" as a DVD. Roku/Netflix to this point has only shown that it is a convenient means of getting B movies in SD.
I still like the disc to downloads.

That's just another in a long time of tired, boring FUD articles. Don Reisinger must be a disgruntled HD-DVD owner.

Just as Internet-based movie downloads aren't going to eliminate Blu-ray the same holds true on any zany claims Internet downloading will eliminate distribution of video games on optical discs.

The Internet infrastructure won't be able to support real time downloads of HD movies or reasonably fast downloads of game titles for another 7 to 10 years. Also factor in the prospect of telecommunications giants capping bandwidth and throttling down connection speeds.

One other thing Reisinger doesn't seem to realize is the data footprint game titles eat up on a hard disc is growing larger and larger. A few years ago a video game could fit on one CD-ROM disc. Now most require DVDs or even multiple DVDs. Eventually a single BD-50 won't even be enough.

These FUD-meisters out there already know these facts. Yet they just keep vomiting out the FUD anyway.

Sony did meantion months ago that it was forseeable that the PS4 would not have an optical drive but they did not say it was a forgone conclusion. They tied it into download improvement in the internet. In addtion, It will be 2012 or latter before we see a PS4. The PS2 is still making Sony a ton of money and the PS3 will celebrate its 2yr aniversary this November. I have downloaded tv shows and watched on my PC (24" HD LCD Monitor) but I have yet to even see 30 minutes in HD for free download to view. We are still years away from that happing.

Some people just can not stand that Sony (who has screwed the pooch on the PS3 so many times it should be defunct by now) has finally started doing things right and is now making money on most fronts. Sony haters are the ones feeling the blues right now.

No pun intended! No Really!:D

Some people just can not stand that Sony (who has screwed the pooch on the PS3 so many times it should be defunct by now) has finally started doing things right and is now making money on most fronts.
Sony would be screwing the pooch big time by eliminating the Blu-ray optical disc from their next gaming console. PS3 is much more than merely a device that plays video games. I have a 80GB PS3 and its main use is playing Blu-ray movies and streaming music files via WiFi networking. I even like being able to take the CF card out of my Canon D-SLR and instantly be able to view all my photos on my 52" TV. I own about 30 movies on Blu-ray. I have only 3 games for PS3 (and one of them came free with the system).

Eliminating the BD drive from the next Playstation would be just as big as any of the numerous pooch screws Microsoft made in designing XBox360. Let's make a thin console that looks like a shampoo bottle and heats up so bad it melts the soldering on the motherboard! How about an entry level version with no hard drive; that way we can have the same game development limits that made PS2 suck compared to the original XBox. Let's use a completely different CPU system so 1st generation XBox games can have compatibility issues. Keep that old XBox if you want to play Doom.

I really have to make the argument the Blu-ray drive is one of the main selling features for the PS3. There isn't very many compelling exclusive gaming titles for the PS3. Personally, I would never have bought the PS3 if it weren't for the bundled Blu-ray drive built into it.

sony has never released a playstation using the same media as in a previous gen, ps1 was cd, ps2 dvd, now the ps3 with blu-ray, i am willing to put money on ps4 will be something different

sony has never released a playstation using the same media as in a previous gen, ps1 was cd, ps2 dvd, now the ps3 with blu-ray, i am willing to put money on ps4 will be something different

The PS3 does use a different kind of optical drive than previous versions. However, the PS3 can play data off CD and DVD as well as BD.

Get rid of the optical drive entirely and you also get rid of any compatibility with CD, DVD, BD, etc. It would be a very stupid move. Such a move would run completely contrary to the notion of leveraging a gaming console as more of a media center hub.

The PS3 would be going nowhere if it was absolutely a single purpose gaming device lacking an optical drive compatible with many different kinds of multimedia content.

The "PS4" would be doomed to being a single purpose gaming device -a very user-UNfriendly one- if Sony expected customers to download everything off the Internet. Why even bother buying such a device in the first place? An ordinary PC could do the same things and still have a freaking optical drive too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts