Will the Cubs get a playoff spot in 2007?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Will the Cubs get a playoff spot in 2007?

• Yes

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
salsa,
lived in cincy 10 years - still a huge reds fan.
lived in glenview, ill for a year - still enjoy the cubs, except when they play the reds!!
may i ask what you do in sports media? i am a retired reporter, who dabbed in sports........among other beats during my career!!

salsa,
lived in cincy 10 years - still a huge reds fan.
lived in glenview, ill for a year - still enjoy the cubs, except when they play the reds!!
may i ask what you do in sports media? i am a retired reporter, who dabbed in sports........among other beats during my career!!

I use to work behind the scenes in IT with the defunct SportsChannel Chicago during the Bulls hayday from 1990 to 1997.

do you happen do know the bulls play by play guy? can't think of his name. but when i use to shoot orlando magic games around the same time frame, i met him at a pre-game dinner!!

do you happen do know the bulls play by play guy? can't think of his name. but when i use to shoot orlando magic games around the same time frame, i met him at a pre-game dinner!!

Well...the BEST guy they had was Jim Durham who does ESPN games...but because he spoke against Bulls management...he nearly blacklisted him. The color analyst was Johnny "Red" Kerr.....Then, it was Tom Boerwinkle.

i thought of his name.......wayne laravee (?) or something close to that. i think i met johnny ``red'' kerr, too!

anyhow, it was the 90-91 and 91-92 seasons that i would shoot the magic (on my dime) saturday nights and some sunday's when they played at home. it was a great experience and i had fun. the bulls game (where i met wayne), i got a cool MJ picture. i wish i still had the negative.

double posting to report....evidently ted lilly has signed with the cubs and i doubt they are finished yet! this could be a very interesting year at the friendly confines (yes, i still miss wrigley field....what a great ballpark)!!!

i thought of his name.......wayne laravee (?) or something close to that. i think i met johnny ``red'' kerr, too!

anyhow, it was the 90-91 and 91-92 seasons that i would shoot the magic (on my dime) saturday nights and some sunday's when they played at home. it was a great experience and i had fun. the bulls game (where i met wayne), i got a cool MJ picture. i wish i still had the negative.

Didn't Wayne Laravee do annoucing for Cubs games too at some point?

good question, ramy? i remember thom brenneman called some cubs games (radio) for a year.....maybe, 2!! maybe, larivee did it for a brief time on radio. probably could check his bio at wgn television.

ETA: according to wikipedia.com, he did do cubs games but it didn't say what years!

Last edited:
good question, ramy? i remember thom brenneman called some cubs games (radio) for a year.....maybe, 2!! maybe, laravee did it for a brief time on radio. probably could check his bio at wgn television.

Dwayne was actually the Bears play-by-play guy and filled in on a few occassions in the early to mid '90s. He now the football play-by-play for the Green Bay Packers. He was also the Bulls announcer for the WGN telecast. Brennaman was a long time Cubs announcer and he had a huge despute with WGN because they did not want him to do football in the OFF SEASON for FOX...so he left and is doing baseball and football for FOX.

good question, ramy? i remember thom brenneman called some cubs games (radio) for a year.....maybe, 2!! maybe, larivee did it for a brief time on radio. probably could check his bio at wgn television.

ETA: according to wikipedia.com, he did do cubs games but it didn't say what years!

Thom is now with the Reds, doing Radio(with dear old dad Marty) and some TV games. I don't really know what I think about this, because I really liked George Grande and Chris Welsh. Hope they didn't get rid of them too.

dwayne staats....that's the other guy i was trying to think of.

ramy, if you recall fsn ohio has boosted their 2007 reds sked to about 130 or 140 games......over the usual 100 or so. george and chris will need days off....so i think that's where thom will call some tv!!! just my best educated guess. think he and dad will spend most of the time on radio.

just read that cubs gm jim hendry has had angioplasty and is expected to remain in the hospital for a few days in the disney area!

Dwayne was actually the Bears play-by-play guy and filled in on a few occassions in the early to mid '90s. He now the football play-by-play for the Green Bay Packers. He was also the Bulls announcer for the WGN telecast. Brennaman was a long time Cubs announcer and he had a huge despute with WGN because they did not want him to do football in the OFF SEASON for FOX...so he left and is doing baseball and football for FOX.

Wayne (Not Dwayne) Laravee is still the Bulls WGN & WCIU TV PBP guy. Tom Dore does the Comcast Sportsnet games. Wayne is also the Green Bay Packers radio PBP after many years of doing the Bears. He also does Big Ten football and basketball for ESPN plus.

i think it might be the d-rays but i'm not sure.

btw, i had to correct this but wayne's last name is spelled larivee not laravee!! my bad.

i catch him calling bulls games on wgn every now and then.

anyhow, the reason i remember him.......you don't find too many broadcasters who go out of there way to introduce themselves....but wayne did.

From their current lineup and pitching staff I would say no but if they get a good CF and another SP I think they could advance:

Lineup:

1- Soriano *LF*
2- XXXXXX *CF*
3- Derrek Lee *1B*
4- Aramis Ramirez *3B*
5- Michael Barret *C*
6- Jacques Jones *RF*
7- Mark DeRosa *2B*
8- Cesar Izturis *SS*
9- Pitcher

Current pitching rotation:

1- Carlos Zambrano
2- Ted Lilly
3- Rich Hill
4- Mark Prior
5- Wade Miller

Bullpen:

- R. Dempster (CL)
- K. Wood
- J. Ryu
- N. Cotts
- B. Howry
- S. Eyre
- R. Novoa
- W. Ohman
- G. Rusch
- M. Wuertz
- L. Walrond
- C. Marmol

The spending continues...now they stole one of the Cardinals starting pitchers.

The Chicago Cubs aren't done spending money just yet. Free-agent pitcher Jason Marquis has signed a three-year deal with the team, according to multiple reports.

The St. Louis Post Dispatch first reported the deal late Friday as being worth $28 million. Sources told the Chicago Tribune in a report Saturday that the deal was worth approximately $20 million.

The 26-year-old Marquis went 14-16 for the St. Louis Cardinals in 2006 with a 6.02 ERA. He struggled after the All-Star break, going just 3-10, and did not make the postseason rotation for the eventual World Series champions.

His best season came in 2004, when he posted a 15-7 record and a 3.71 ERA. He is 194-137 with a 4.55 ERA for his career in seven seasons.

The Cubs have already made a big splash in free agency, signing Henry Blanco, Mark DeRosa, Ted Lilly, Wade Miller, Aramis Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, and Kerry Wood to a combined $272.5 million in contracts

maybe, all the spending is the reason poor jim hendry needed heart surgery!!

all i can say........i hope the cubs get a decent return for all that loot!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)