Will the installer.........

fastfed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Just use my current coax cable and tap in from the outside, to the sat. ??

Or will he run all new cable?

I got the original cable through the house, so it would be old cable if he uses that.

fastfed said:
Just use my current coax cable and tap in from the outside, to the sat. ??

Or will he run all new cable?

The techs are paid to run new cable for up to 125' as stated. That is agreed the BEST method.

However, if you have cabling all in-wall and don't want to see any cables tacked along your baseboard or pay extra, which in many cases is normal, for "custom" wiring; attic/crawlspace wall-fishing, then yes it is acceptable to have the installer "tie" in to your existing cable.

HOWEVER (again) your existing cable needs to be OK to tie into. Any good installer will be able to "test" the cable for any shorts or problems. I have my VOOM system connected to existing and all is fine. Honestly cable is cable, as far as passing a signal through it. Now I'll be careful here, you want to have RG6 type cable with all the right fittings; my point is, as long as you have RG6 in your house now, it will more than likely be of the same quality that the installers would provide as NEW cable, so it would all work and perform the same.

The final decision as to if the installer can use the existing really is the installers, as he has to warranty it if he connects and uses it. In the end if you get good signal on the SAT then all is cool.

So they will just go around the baseboards and around the doors?? That is going to look really stupid!
I thought they might snake it into the attic ( which you can walk around in my attic )

fastfed said:
So they will just go around the baseboards and around the doors?? That is going to look really stupid!
I thought they might snake it into the attic ( which you can walk around in my attic )

Every installer is different and really depends what their policy is as to running the cable in the attic.

Don't expect inside the scope of the "free" install or in any "standard" install to have the installer route the cables in an attic or walls for free.
The standard installation from any provider is exterior routing of cable from the dish, through one (1) standard construction material wall. An outside wall-bushing and a interior wall-plate/finish plate is expected and required. Any cable routing beyond that is considered "custom"/extra whatever you want to call it. Some installation companies may not charge to run in your attic, but that usually requires a wall-fish from there, so at least expect to pay for that.
You don't work or do extra O/T for free, do you?

BEST ADVISE: Talk to your installation company dispatcher/CSR who will be able to discuss their companies installation practices BEFORE the tech arrives. Remember in most cases, he's just the guy/gal who is given an order to follow his specific instructions to complete an install with a specific scope of work and a flat rate of pay, so picking a fight with him over what you want beyond what he's expected to do only makes for a BAD install experience.
VOOM does not require Installs Inc. or the contract installers to work for free beyond the scope of work included in your installation.
If you really have a problem with extra, unreasonable charges quoted to you, then by all means get VOOM on the phone and express your concern. I certainly don't advise anyone here as a consumer to be "steam-rolled". Just be smart and get your expectations set ahead of time.

Good luck!

$75 a pop

I was told by Install inc. the service charge to snake the cable through a wall and basement would be $75. Though I forgot to ask my installer that when he called. Installation isn't till the 4th so I'll let you know the cost.

What happens if you already have the cable installed through the house (new rg6 as required) I did it after reading what was required on this forum and then waiting for the installation date. Basically all he has to do is hook up the STB (all cables are there), mount the dish (cables are pre-wired) And I already have a stealth antenna on my roof that works great with my MITS. Will he leave the parts behind that he was supposed to use? Like the 125' of cable and the stealth antenna he didn't have to install.

Tobar said:
What happens if you already have the cable installed through the house (new rg6 as required) I did it after reading what was required on this forum and then waiting for the installation date. Basically all he has to do is hook up the STB (all cables are there), mount the dish (cables are pre-wired) And I already have a stealth antenna on my roof that works great with my MITS. Will he leave the parts behind that he was supposed to use? Like the 125' of cable and the stealth antenna he didn't have to install.

Wow, you should be an installer.

I called my buddy and asked. Here's the full answer to leaving behind an antenna and cable. ready....

NO.... :no

The order is to provide as needed up to 125 feet of RG6 cable
If you already have a working antenna they (VOOM) won't just give you another one, or even credit you. (at least at this time I was told)

most installers will leave behind stealth or whatever local antenna installs inc. sends for your area....it doesnt cost him anything so he shouldnt care...the cable is another matter

Thanks for the quick reply, Sat4me and jellison1. I am almost tempted to remove my stuff and then lead the installer around on what to do, so if anything goes wrong it's their equipment that's at fault. I would rather the installer concentrate on tuning the STB and TV. We'll see what happens on Thursday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)