Will there ever be 3D in actual 4K resolution and not downscaled to 2K for TVs?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, I had a choice between either posting this here in the 4K boards or the 3D boards, but I chose here because it gets more traction. But I notice that in 4K active 3D TVs, the 3D's highest resolution is 2K, will they ever make a 3D TV (I'm assuming it would be active) that would play it in 4K? Or even 8K?

Will the new 4K Blu-ray players at least have 3D capability, even if it's only 2K?
No players have been announced yet, so it's anyone's guess. I don't believe the first Panasonic prototype shown at CES had 3D mentioned in its specs. Adding 3D support doesn't cost too much so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some of the players with 3D capability in the near future.

As for Ultra HD 3D missing in the initial specs, this can be added in future spec revisions, perhaps with the next HDMI update. You need higher bandwidth for 3D.

In fact, I will be very surprised if Sony doesn't announce a 4K Blu-ray player with 3D capability (for 2K content), since all Sony 4K projectors and most of their 4K TV sets are 3D capable.

CEDIA EXPO 2015 show is coming in October, so hopefully we will see some 4K Blu-ray announcements very soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)