Will this antenna & wire work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think you'll be happiest with a functioning rotor. Price a new one. Might be best to just buy new and have it on hand when you get to the top. Then you don't have to rent, build, climb scaffolding twice. Or is the scaffolding idea of little interest?

This 9521 is what I have. Also available here (with coax) and elsewhere. I use a preamp, but sometimes bypass it.

I don't have an adapter yet, but was thinking about this one-

Amazon.com: 75 to 300 Ohm UHF/VHF Matching Transformer: Reiss Innovations, LLC

since i just have bare wire ends i didn't know if i should just cut the u shaped connector off or if i should solder on a spade connector to my wires coming down from antenna

Funny. I have that exact one. I'd recommend snip and crimp, if you already have the butt connector and crimping tool. Soldering is fine, but it isn't a mechanical connection and troubles may be down the road.

Too bad you're not closer. This is an interesting challenge.

I think you'll be happiest with a functioning rotor. Price a new one. Might be best to just buy new and have it on hand when you get to the top. Then you don't have to rent, build, climb scaffolding twice. Or is the scaffolding idea of little interest?

This 9521 is what I have. Also available here (with coax) and elsewhere. I use a preamp, but sometimes bypass it.

I just don't really have the help to assemble to scaffolding, but i do have an equipment rental place nearby so maybe a scissor lift would be affordable? I am really just wanting to do this to pick up some retro tv channels, so i hate to start sinking hundreds of dollars into it, but i wouldn't mind dropping $100 for a rotor like that if that was all i needed. I think i am going to order the adapter and coax and just see what i'm getting now and go from there. who knows, i may even pick up what i want already.

Funny. I have that exact one. I'd recommend snip and crimp, if you already have the butt connector and crimping tool. Soldering is fine, but it isn't a mechanical connection and troubles may be down the road.

Too bad you're not closer. This is an interesting challenge.

ok thanks, i do have crimper and connectors. i wish you were closer too :)

I wouldn't invest in anything until you figure out what you can get as-is. If it is pointed at detroit you may well get ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS,FOX,MY,CW,CBC, and several subchannels with retro stations. You may even pickup Flint to the north and Toledo to the south from the back end, especially if any Toledo are high VHF or low UHF.

Use that simple 300ohm to 75ohm coax adapter and hook it up to a TV, scan, and see what you get before doing anything.

And for heaven's sake - don't climb a 20-40 year old tower, you really don't want to test your liability/disability insurance do you?

I wouldn't invest in anything until you figure out what you can get as-is. If it is pointed at detroit you may well get ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS,FOX,MY,CW,CBC, and several subchannels with retro stations. You may even pickup Flint to the north and Toledo to the south from the back end, especially if any Toledo are high VHF or low UHF.

Use that simple 300ohm to 75ohm coax adapter and hook it up to a TV, scan, and see what you get before doing anything.

And for heaven's sake - don't climb a 20-40 year old tower, you really don't want to test your liability/disability insurance do you?

haha, no i don't want to drop 30 feet, and the problem is the big end of the antenna (i'm assuming that's the pointing direction?) is pointing west. so i would love to find some way to turn it north to see if if i can get everything now. i getting ready to order an adapter and some coax to see what i'm getting as is. will this coax work?-

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics RG6 50-Foot Low Loss Coax Extention Cable - White: Electronics

haha, no i don't want to drop 30 feet, and the problem is the big end of the antenna (i'm assuming that's the pointing direction?) is pointing west. so i would love to find some way to turn it north to see if if i can get everything now. i getting ready to order an adapter and some coax to see what i'm getting as is. will this coax work?-

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics RG6 50-Foot Low Loss Coax Extention Cable - White: Electronics

Actually the narrow end with the Y reflector is the FRONT or "UHF" end of the antenna.

Two thoughts, you can most likely get the adapter/cable at a local hardware if you don't want to wait.

Sometimes pointing between two cities lets you get both. If I point my antenna northwest, I usually get Flint and Lansing at the same time with few issues.

That said, they may have watched something from Cleveland or something out of Canada.

I think the winner for you is that it is 30' high, that is a good thing. Being that high you may get multiple markets.

Question, is there any second wire coming down the tower from the rotor, even if it doesn't come all the way down? There is a good chance that rotor still works, the things are extremely durable.

Two thoughts, you can most likely get the adapter/cable at a local hardware if you don't want to wait.

Sometimes pointing between two cities lets you get both. If I point my antenna northwest, I usually get Flint and Lansing at the same time with few issues.

That said, they may have watched something from Cleveland or something out of Canada.

I think the winner for you is that it is 30' high, that is a good thing. Being that high you may get multiple markets.

Question, is there any second wire coming down the tower from the rotor, even if it doesn't come all the way down? There is a good chance that rotor still works, the things are extremely durable.

No, unfortunately there is no wire at all for the rotor. hopefully you're right and it will be pointing in a direction that lets me get reception now. parts will be here monday so i guess i will find out then. i have amazon prime which gives me free 2 day shipping, compared to prices around town i'm saving about $10 and i'm not in a hurry so i just went that way.

i just called a local equipment rental place and they have a 30 foot platform lift(scissor lift) for about $90/24hr rental. so if the worst comes to worst i could buy a new rotor, rent the lift and go up and replace the rotor, all for about $200. so that is my backup plan.

i just called a local equipment rental place and they have a 30 foot platform lift(scissor lift) for about $90/24hr rental. so if the worst comes to worst i could buy a new rotor, rent the lift and go up and replace the rotor, all for about $200. so that is my backup plan.
Adjust your back up plan, if your going to rent a lift get new cabling and a new antenna and put them up all at once. The age of the equipment says if it isn't working now it all probably needs to be replaced and $100 per rental says be prepared to do it all.

Adjust your back up plan, if your going to rent a lift get new cabling and a new antenna and put them up all at once. The age of the equipment says if it isn't working now it all probably needs to be replaced and $100 per rental says be prepared to do it all.

yeah i figured i would replace the cabling if i go that route, would i just install the 75 to 300 ohm adapter at the antenna output connector or is there some other way to convert the antenna to a coax output?

won't know until monday how good the antenna is working now.

If you're going through with the expense of the scissor lift you may want to replace the antenna too, it should still work but is fair to say it is worn.

so what antenna and rotor would you guys suggest? i would like to pick up as many channels ad possible. here is my TV Fool and here is my AntennaWeb - Stations
Your not asking one simple question, for myself I would probably go for a Winegard HD1080 aimed north/south. I have one, at 60 miles from one set of broadcaster to the south and a second set at 40 miles north. It won't pick up everything but it should get most stations.
If you want a rotor and everything possible a Winegard 8200U would have to be my suggestion because you have a broadcaster actually on ch5 WLMB 40.1 independent.

Last edited:

That's a good price, esp if it included a way to deliver and return the lift.

yeah i figured i would replace the cabling if i go that route, would i just install the 75 to 300 ohm adapter at the antenna output connector ...

Yes, at the antenna end is best. Don't forget to use cable ties or similar on the coax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)