Will this PC do the Job?

bforce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Castle Rock, CO.
I want a PC that is able to stream media via PlayOn to my TV and handle multitasking and basically is faster than my current P4 2.80Ghz w/1.5GRAM. It is around 6 years old. If anyone has any suggestions of whether I can get a better PC for around $400 please point the way!!
This is what I'm thinking of getting:

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English Processors AMD Athlon™ II X2 Processor 240 (2.8GHz, 1M, 2C) Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz- 4 DIMMs Keyboard Dell USB Entry Keyboard Monitor No Monitor Video Cards Integrated ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics Hard Drives 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Your setup isn't that far from my main computer (also have a couple of HTPCs). I do have a discrete video card though and an AMD 250 (I have a 240 and 245 in the HTPCs) - that series has the best bang for the buck around. I do a lot of video editing and transcoding with no problem and multitask while processing. I stream video from a number of sources with no problem. The onboard 4200 is capable of even BD so if you don't need the video for processing as I do then it should work.

Just a note, though: I am not a game player and you didn't specify that need either.

Last edited:
Your setup isn't that far from my main computer (also have a couple of HTPCs). I do have a discrete video card though and an AMD 250 (I have a 240 and 245 in the HTPCs) - that series has the best bang for the buck around. I do a lot of video editing and transcoding with no problem and multitask while processing. I stream video from a number of sources with no problem. The onboard 4200 is capable of even BD so if you don't need the video for processing as I do then it should work.

Just a note, though: I am not a game player and you didn't specify that need either.

Thanks a bunch, this clears up alot for me, and no, I am not a game player so I think this setup or an Intel Dual core setup with the same amount of memory will work too. From looking around, you are right, that AMD series does give you a damn good bang for your buck.

One thing I did forget to mention was that $400 with no monitor is too high for that setup. I build my own and did it for less with better quality parts than you'll get in most off the shelf systems.

One thing I did forget to mention was that $400 with no monitor is too high for that setup. I build my own and did it for less with better quality parts than you'll get in most off the shelf systems.

I'm sure it is!! If I could do something like that myself I certainly would, don't know how though. Secondly, this is a gift to me from my sister, and she just wants to buy it online and have it shipped to me.

I'd love to learn how to build my own system though, that's for sure. I also think I've found a system that includes a monitor (monitor probably not that good, but better than what I've got, and I'm fine with that for now) in the price range I'm looking for, which is now $500.

Remember that PlayOn has a 15 day free trial. It should work fine in that machine. :)

Scott, I learned of PlayOn from you in the S106 update thread. I tried it on my current dinosaur PC and the streaming was just too much for old thing. So when my sister offered me this gift, I just wanted to make sure it would work on any new PC I get.

Because of you guys, my confidence is high that I'll have no problems at all.
Much appreciated!! :)

Last edited:
So which one?

If it were you, which would you pick?

Sidious 570MT

Inspiron 570 Minitower w/ Black Bezel
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
AMD Athlon™ II X2 Processor 240 (2.8GHz, 1M, 2C)
4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 4 DIMMs
18.5" Dell IN1910N HD Monitor with VGA cableIntegrated ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Inspiron 560s

Inspiron 560 Slim-Tower w/ Black Bezel FT10A
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Intel® Pentium® dual-core E5500(2.80GHz,2MB L2,800MHz
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz- 4 DIMMs
18.5" Dell IN1910N HD Monitor with VGA cable
Integrated Intel® GMA X4500 Graphics
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

The only differences are the kind of tower, the processor, and the integrated graphics.

I went to PassMark Software - PC Benchmark and Test Software and the Intel processor ranked much higher than the Athlon processor on CPU benchmark test but I'm not sure it counts for much because the Intel has only 3 samples tested vs. 657 for the Athlon.

I've read that both of the integrated graphics are doable.
The Intel PC is $40 cheaper.

Last edited:
Was hoping someone else would give you an opinion. I'm biased against Intel and Dell, so take this with a grain of salt. Either system, though will do what you want.

Surprised at the price difference, except it's a known fact that Dell pushes Intel. Don't know about the tests you saw, but on Tom's Hardware the 240 is relatively comparable to an E6500, but don't know relationship of 6500 to 5500. Do know the 4200 graphics is superior to Intel - in general either ATI or nVidia is better than Intel.

Would recommend checking out Acer - they make nice systems and laptops and generally at good prices. A lot of people don't know that at one time Acer made the highest quality systems in the market. Even though they came back in by lowballing, I don't think they lost their expertise. It will give you an opportunity to compare prices.

If it were you, which would you pick?
Both CPUs, Intel and AMD, are 45nm/65W parts running at the same freq.
That means with the majority of real life apps they will be very comparable.
So is onboard video.

Flip a coin.

If possible, replace the 4x1GB RAM with 2x2GB. Should be just a few bucks.

Diogen.

Was hoping someone else would give you an opinion. I'm biased against Intel and Dell, so take this with a grain of salt. Either system, though will do what you want.

Surprised at the price difference, except it's a known fact that Dell pushes Intel. Don't know about the tests you saw, but on Tom's Hardware the 240 is relatively comparable to an E6500, but don't know relationship of 6500 to 5500. Do know the 4200 graphics is superior to Intel - in general either ATI or nVidia is better than Intel.

Would recommend checking out Acer - they make nice systems and laptops and generally at good prices. A lot of people don't know that at one time Acer made the highest quality systems in the market. Even though they came back in by lowballing, I don't think they lost their expertise. It will give you an opportunity to compare prices.

I found this Acer Tower:

Acer Aspire AX3400-U2012 Desktop Computer PT.SE202.006 - B&H

B&H is a great online dealer as well. I've ordered photography equipment from them too many times to count and they are fantastic.
However, it does not come with any protection plan or a monitor.

Last edited:
I found this Acer Tower:

Acer Aspire AX3400-U2012 Desktop Computer PT.SE202.006 - B&H

B&H is a great online dealer as well. I've ordered photography equipment from them too many times to count and they are fantastic.
However, it does not come with any protection plan or a monitor.

It's comparable to the others you are looking at, a little faster. They also sell it at Buy.com - don't know about bundles with monitors. Not matter how you go , if the 18.5 is a widescreen, I'd think about a larger screen - you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Just look at what you need and what you can afford, and try to make the best decision you can. The range you're looking at for what you said you wanted to do will work well for you. Opinions are based on someone else's feelings, so go with your own gut and your own pocketbook.

Are you streaming 1080p content? Make sure you get a discrete graphics card or quad core if you do that

Are you streaming 1080p content? Make sure you get a discrete graphics card or quad core if you do that

He can stream it with any of the systems he's looking at. A discrete card is preferable but not necessary. I have a 4200 and it streams 1080p fine with a dual core 240.

He can stream it with any of the systems he's looking at. A discrete card is preferable but not necessary. I have a 4200 and it streams 1080p fine with a dual core 240.

I plan on adding a discrete card, more memory, and a better monitor in the future, when I can afford it. Or go with one of the above setups for a couple years then really go all out. :)

How can I put my videos on my Iphone?

"US iPad Data Cost Versus the World"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)