Will this work to save $5/month additional receiver fee?

redline65

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
Little Elm, TX
I've got two 301 receivers that I never use at the same time. Is it possible to deactivate one of them (to save the $5/month additional receiver fee) and just move the smartcard back and forth between the unit I want to use? Or would I have to physically move the active receiver between the two rooms? I'll probably do it if I can just move the card between the two receivers, but it's too much hassle to disconnect the entire receiver and move it. Thanks.

cant move the card because they are "married" to each other

easiest way would be a remote control extender....they're like $35-40 at Radio Shack (the little pyramids)

With the remote extender, you'll be able to change channels remotely from the other room, but I think you'll also need a Terk Leapfrog-type AV transmitter to view the one 301 in the second room without having two receivers. The Leapfrog also comes with an IR extender for the remote. I Leapfrog my 508 to TVs in both my bedroom and kitchen and can use the UHF remote to switch channels from anywhere in the house. These Leapfrogs do have a limited range, and I live in a very small house, although I'm sending the signal through multiple walls. But it does work!

Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the Leapfrog device, since I'd need a way to get the audio/video signal and the IR remote into the other room. The two rooms are right next to each other, so distance may not be an issue.

I'm assuming the 301 does not have a UHF remote. Too bad, really. Those really come in handy. Loved my old 4000 for that purpose. Maybe you can find a more current 'low end' receiver that comes with a UHF remote on ebay. (Not sure what model that would be.)

Of course the price of the leap frog thing at radio shack is about the cost of the $5 a month over one year fee added up.

I bet there are cheaper ones on the internet to order to make it more cost effective over the next year.

why not just use diplexors to backfeed to your distribution and than connect to the other tv(s) buy a UHF upgrade kit $50 and you can control it anywhere in the house/within 100ft.

Leapfrogs come in handy when you can't run a sat cable to another room. I also use it when watching sports in multiple rooms simultaneously because there is a slight delay in audio between the 508 and 301, probably due to the recording to the 508's HD.

I got my Leapfrogs for around $70. Great customer service from Terk by the way. When my transmitter went out while under warranty they immediately overnighted a replacement. Now why can't Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic do that?

It's probably easier to run a mirror line and use the UHF Remote pyramid.

Now may I ask why are you prepared to spend $70 for a leapfrog and $50 for a UHF pyramid to save $5/month. You won't recover your investment for 24 months!

bcshields said:
Now may I ask why are you prepared to spend $70 for a leapfrog and $50 for a UHF pyramid to save $5/month. You won't recover your investment for 24 months!
I'm not. After looking into it, I don't think it's worth it. I'll just keep giving Dish my $5/month.

Dish Dude said:
why not just use diplexors...
You lost me there :confused:

I don't know what this leapfrog thing is--I just used the pyramid and it worked fine. I guess now the thing to do is to upgrade the two 301's to one 522 which controls two tv's....

With the Leapfrog, a pyramid is unnecessary. I use my UHF remote for the 508 to change channels from my kitchen. I have a TV in there and, as a renter, would prefer not run another line. I would also have to pay, I'm guessing, at least $50 up front to E* to add/install another receiver for my system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts