Will Tiger Woods win a Major this year?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Tiger Woods' last PGA major win came at the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines. In a nutshell, it has been more than five (5) full years since Tiger won his last golfing major, and my question is will he finally break through and win his 15th major this year? Or is he getting too old, too injured, and his game is nothing like it was prior to his Charlie Sheen-like incident?

I know it's early in the 2014 golf season, but yesterday Tiger fired an over-par 73 at Torrey Pines (South Course) and is tied for 63rd place in the Farmers Insurance Classic. He will be playing the North Course later this afternoon. He used to destroy Torrey Pines from the late '90s through the late '00s.

Thoughts?

Tiger Woods' last PGA major win came at the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines. In a nutshell, it has been more than five (5) full years since Tiger won his last golfing major, and my question is will he finally break through and win his 15th major this year? Or is he getting too old, too injured, and his game is nothing like it was prior to his Charlie Sheen-like incident?

I know it's early in the 2014 golf season, but yesterday Tiger fired an over-par 73 at Torrey Pines (South Course) and is tied for 63rd place in the Farmers Insurance Classic. He will be playing the North Course later this afternoon. He used to destroy Torrey Pines from the late '90s through the late '00s.

Thoughts?

This guys' issue is NOT talent or the talent he is competing against...it's the constant changing of swings and coaches. I mean it's one thing to tinker with the swing a little bit...but he seems to change every couple of years.

This guys' issue is NOT talent or the talent he is competing against...it's the constant changing of swings and coaches. I mean it's one thing to tinker with the swing a little bit...but he seems to change every couple of years.

I agree...but could that be due to injuries? We all know about his knee problems, but he's also had wrist, elbow, back and shoulder problems over the past few years. I'm sure every golfer plays with various injuries along the way, but his seem to bother him more than other players. Perhaps that's why he's always tweaking his swing and being so inconsistent. Moreover, this inconsistency has got wreak havoc with him mentally.

This is why I think his issues are more in his head than anywhere else. I understand he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I do hope he can make a comeback. It's still early enough in his career where this is possible. I'll admit that I really only watch Golf when he's playing. I understand there are other good players but to me it's great to see this guy in particular when he's on top of his game,dominating.

Not this year, but I do think he will win at least one more before he is done.

This is why I think his issues are more in his head than anywhere else. I understand he isn't everyone's cup of tea but I do hope he can make a comeback. It's still early enough in his career where this is possible. I'll admit that I really only watch Golf when he's playing. I understand there are other good players but to me it's great to see this guy in particular when he's on top of his game,dominating.

I agree. You have got to be 100% focused in the game these days to be on top. Just look at Mclroy he is up and down all the time.

I agree...but could that be due to injuries? We all know about his knee problems, but he's also had wrist, elbow, back and shoulder problems over the past few years. I'm sure every golfer plays with various injuries along the way, but his seem to bother him more than other players. Perhaps that's why he's always tweaking his swing and being so inconsistent. Moreover, this inconsistency has got wreak havoc with him mentally.

But here is the strange thing... in NON Majors play...he is DESTROYING the field, winning tournaments left and right. He won 5 tournaments and finished in the top 10 in 3 others. He won PGA player of the year last year. On top of that, EVERY SINGLE "flavor of the month" has had their chances to completely take over the PGA. Rory, Phil, Matt, Sergio.... have ALL had their chances. And none can get momentum going...and none have had the injury bug Tiger has had.

I am will to be if he was as healthy as everyone else, he would have already broken every single PGA record by now.

But I think you hit it right on the nose.

Not this year, but I do think he will win at least one more before he is done.

Five years ago it was a given that Woods would break Jack's record of winning 18 majors. Nowadays, folks are wondering if/when, he will win #15. Another question is where does Woods rank if he doesn't at least tie Jack's record? #2 IMO. One things is for sure...Woods had better start winning, and winning soon, because he's not getting any younger along with playing against a bunch of very good, and very hungry youngsters...and a handful of wily veterans, like Mickelson and Stricker, who are capable of winning another one before they're finished.

I am so looking forward to the 2014 Masters - just 2+ short months away.

True, but people place extra, extra importance on winning the majors. Jack is celebrated and placed on a pedestal for his accomplishments, while players like Sam Snead and Ben Hogan are remembered fondly as being great players.

The same can be said about Jack and his injuries...he had back troubles for years, and years, and years. Plus, Jack finished second in 19 majors whereas Woods finished runner-up only 6 times. Moreover, Nicklaus had 48 top 3 finishes in the slams...twice as many as Woods. However, Tiger still has some more chapters to write in his golfing career. But will they be good ones? It all depends on what he does with his woods, irons and putter. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO, Woods can continue to win the weekly tour events, but his chapters will only be mediocre if he doesn't win more majors. I think 2014 is the year Tiger returns to winners circle and makes sweet wine out of grapes or, like Haller's sour disposition, withers on the vine and turns into a raisin. We shall see.

But here is the strange thing... in NON Majors play...he is DESTROYING the field, winning tournaments left and right. He won 5 tournaments and finished in the top 10 in 3 others. He won PGA player of the year last year. On top of that, EVERY SINGLE "flavor of the month" has had their chances to completely take over the PGA. Rory, Phil, Matt, Sergio.... have ALL had their chances. And none can get momentum going...and none have had the injury bug Tiger has had.

I am will to be if he was as healthy as everyone else, he would have already broken every single PGA record by now.

But I think you hit it right on the nose.

Woods, young Woods, had a violent swing. Very violent. It has taken its toll and he has embarked on a, now 8 year long, quest to find a swing that he can actually do with his body of today. He hasn't found it, there may not be one.

Look at his swing this week. Not only is it different from last year, its not the swing the best guy at your club in his mid 40s has.

Its the swing the best guy at your club in his late 50s-early 60s has. It is a senior swing.

The next Major Woods win will be a Senior Major.

Good observation Sam. Personally, I think he altered his swing due to injuries and he keeps tinkering with it because of additional injures. Plus, let's not forget, his basic tendency is to revert to his natural swing that has been a part of his style since..what?..he was 2-years old? I started playing when I was 10. Although I was a caddie, by the time I was 16 this 5'-11", buck-forty-seven pound kid could out-drive all but a handful (literally 3 or 4) of the club's elite players - 200+ lb. guys. Just like with hockey, I would crank and spank the ball with almost no forethought - it was an instinct that it much harder/impossible for adults learning to play the game. Conversely, whatever bad habits I developed as a youngster (and I haven't golfed in years) always rear it's ugly head. Tiger still has the tools to win since he is still earning tour victories...but it's not going to be easy.

That entire car wreck fiasco and divorce drama..Blah..Blah..Blah.has taken it`s toll on Tiger!..Mentally it has affected his game!.Odds are he will break Jacks record but this is not the same Tiger we are use to seeing!...Jacks record is safe IMO!.

Tiger Woods missed his first-ever secondary cut Saturday after a 7-over 79.

Source

"It meant nothing other than pride. Tiger Woods rolled in a 10-foot putt for par on his final hole Saturday at Torrey Pines, avoiding another bogey but managing to break 80, a number no pro wants on his scorecard. But it wasn't enough to keep him on the course Sunday.

For the first time in his career, Woods failed to make the PGA Tour's secondary cut, a reduction in the field that comes into play only when the 36-hole cut leaves more than 78 players."

Full Story

Wow! Torrey Pines is one of his favorite courses...not a good start to the year.

That entire car wreck fiasco and divorce drama..Blah..Blah..Blah.has taken it`s toll on Tiger!..Mentally it has affected his game!.Odds are he will break Jacks record but this is not the same Tiger we are use to seeing!...Jacks record is safe IMO!.

Hmmm... I am want to agree...but I want to disagree as well. How do you explain him winning MORE money and MORE tournaments than anyone else last year? IF the whole wife fiasco DID screw him up mentally, he wouldn't be winning anything in my opinion. I think as stated before...he is getting older and taking longer to heal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)