Will US Open be in HD?

mike528

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
DC area
ESPN and NBC are covering the US Open this weekend.

I have not been able to find any information on whether they will be covering it in high definition. I assume that if they were, they would be advertising that fact, so I am guessing that they are not. And so far, to my knowledge CBS is the only network that has covered golf in HD, which is very difficult and expensive due to the number of cameras needed. But I'm hoping against hope that they are going to surprise me with HD coverage.
If anyone has info, please post!

No it isn't.

And the CBS HD broadcast of golf is cool about 20% of the time. Most of the shots are not in HD. The only HD shots are from the cameras at the greens. But I know it's expensive and difficult to do on a wide basis so I at least give them props for getting the ball rolling.

brookswashere said:
No it isn't.

And the CBS HD broadcast of golf is cool about 20% of the time. Most of the shots are not in HD. The only HD shots are from the cameras at the greens. But I know it's expensive and difficult to do on a wide basis so I at least give them props for getting the ball rolling.

Thanks.
The Masters coverage this year had more HD cams than they used the year before, which in turn was better than the year before that. I haven't watched as much of the regular tournaments, but it doesn't seem like they use as many HD cams as at the Masters. I agree, its good that CBS is at least trying, and I assume they will get better as they get more cameras.
I don't expect anything from ABC at the British Open either. I understand that they don't get to set up their own cams, but have to take what is offered by the BBC.

I thought the US Open wasnt untill august? I think its time for wimbledon , I know last year the US Open was in HD not the whole 2 weeks but the finals where.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts