Will VOD be available over internet like PPV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DanBobTerror

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Just wondering how it will work... Will it be like PPV? If an HR20 is not hooked up to a phone line, (which I assume is necessary for VOD), then I wonder if there will be a net interface like for PPV??? Anyone? :confused:

-Rob

No phone line required. All you need to do is hook your HR20 to your network either wired or wireless, have account in good standing, VOD activated and off you go with downloading over the internet. Its in testing right now but will have free and PPV content both SD and HD. The key is a broadband internet connection and your HR20 connected to that source. Thats it. Check out the multiple VOD threads to see pics and snaps.

No phone line required. All you need to do is hook your HR20 to your network either wired or wireless, have account in good standing, VOD activated and off you go with downloading over the internet. Its in testing right now but will have free and PPV content both SD and HD. The key is a broadband internet connection and your HR20 connected to that source. Thats it. Check out the multiple VOD threads to see pics and snaps.

You've got to be kidding me? Over the net? :eureka I wonder what the quality and downloading times will be like?? So really, you don't even need a dish at that point? Strange...

-Rob

One more question... For our Canadian friends watching north of the border....

Is it safe for them to hook up to the internet? I mean, can I (errr, I mean 'they') hook my HR20 up to my Rogers highspeed network and connect with no problems? OR, is Rogers (who also provides cable TV) or Directv going to shut me off because they can then tell where I am???

Another question: Can two different HR20s on the same account hook up to two different networks??? For instance, if someone was violoating DTVs agreement and had a box at the cottage also hooked up to the internet there??

Rob

One more question... For our Canadian friends watching north of the border....

Is it safe for them to hook up to the internet? I mean, can I (errr, I mean 'they') hook my HR20 up to my Rogers highspeed network and connect with no problems? OR, is Rogers (who also provides cable TV) or Directv going to shut me off because they can then tell where I am???

Another question: Can two different HR20s on the same account hook up to two different networks??? For instance, if someone was violoating DTVs agreement and had a box at the cottage also hooked up to the internet there??

Rob

Nobody knows these answers right now but I would say its a safe bet that DirecTV could filter out connections from any Canadian internet company. Question number two could also become a problem. We at SatelliteGuys and nearly any website can see both the internet company and the area your connected at.

For example if I did a mod user search of my username and click on my current IP address my Host Name would be the following below.

c-24-xxx-xxx-xx.hsd1.nh.comcast.net.

The above X's are my real IP address and as you can see I'm connected using Comcast and I'm directly connected to Comcast in the state of New Hampshire using a high speed data connection.

Nobody knows these answers right now but I would say its a safe bet that DirecTV could filter out connections from any Canadian internet company. Question number two could also become a problem. We at SatelliteGuys and nearly any website can see both the internet company and the area your connected at.

I would be less concerned (although quite unhappy) about being filtered out and more concerned with account deactivation. Hmmmmm. :(
That said, would Directv really care? Would they really want to go to the trouble of filtering IPs on legitimate accounts? It is one thing not to sell equipment in Canada and to tell Canadians when they call that they can't register. It would be quite another step, I think, to start implementing control measures like that. Still worries me though. :(

Simultaneous connections from different IPs would also worry me. (If I had one at the cottage and wasn't doing the above-board legitimate 2-accounts thing.) Hmmmmm. :(

Is it really worth the risk though? They might do it as a "cover your ass" move. The last thing they(Directv) need is to waste money on litigation in Canada or with the broadcasters because of it. It'll be alot easier to block ip's off than going to court.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts