Status
Please reply by conversation.

sundude90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Waterville, Maine, United States
Hey,

I am getting VOIP Internet Phone Service with RedZone Wireless, which is a local provider where I live. I know that they give me an adapter and I plug it into my existing phone lines that go through my house.

I was wondering if my Caller ID will still work on my Directv Receivers and if I still will be able to order PPV when I get VOIP?

My provider said that it probably would not work, but he was not positive about it.

Yes, I did sign up for Caller ID also.

I cannot say if PPV ordering will work, but I just connected our Vonage up for the first time this weekend and Caller-ID is working flawlessly. Its pretty sweet.

This was to our HR-21, did not try any other boxes yet.

According to Directv.com,

If you have an Internet phone service provider like Vonage, you may be experiencing difficulties with that service. Contact your Internet phone service provider to walk through steps of how to adjust your settings to allow modem–based devices to work in your home.

The thing I'd suggest you do is call D* and say that you're going to try and order a PPV show but you didn't know if it would work so you wanted a CSR to be there just in case you needed a refund. Or you could just forget about that and just order one and see what happens.

I have Vonage and it works fine, it just took me a while to get my DTIVO to work with it, but I got it to work.

I have CallVantage from AT&T. They have 'fax and modem' support as a feature and both my house alarm and Dish receivers work fine.

Do you have OnDemand hooked up to the receiver? Wouldn't that work as well since it's hooked up to the internet?

I thought that you could still order PPV even over the internet, but apparently that's not as simple as it sounds (like anything with D* is.) This thread from D* Forums may prove helpful:

Discussion Forum

I thought I was ok with the internet connection also. However, Last time I tried to order a PPV, it would not let me. I had to connect the phone line.

Oh, to the original question....I use Comcast digital voice and it (and CID) work fine. Each VOIP provider will be different though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.