AIMING A 5 lnb SLIMLINE DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tfoss

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
I have installed a 3lnb dish, how do I aiim a 5lnb dish, mainly for the 99 & 103 Do I peak the 101, then 119 first, but after that not sure what to do to bring in the ka bands. Any help would be much appreciated! Please keep it simple in explaining how to fine tune. Thanks.

I'll be using the H20 to find the signals, again thanks

I have installed a 3lnb dish, how do I aiim a 5lnb dish, mainly for the 99 & 103 Do I peak the 101, then 119 first, but after that not sure what to do to bring in the ka bands.
When you get 101W down, the Ka birds will fall into line. Dialing in the tilt for 119W will bring it all home.

videos don't help me, it's the fine tuning that throws me off, I like Harsdness's simple directions if they work..............we'll see

My installer who aimed my dish was amazing. He new the coordinates for my area, and he aimed the dish just by the coordinates he knew. Checked it on the receiver, and had 97% strength with a long cable run. No further adjustments necessary, no meter used during installation. That blew me away. 5 LNB btw.

My installer who aimed my dish was amazing. He new the coordinates for my area, and he aimed the dish just by the coordinates he knew. Checked it on the receiver, and had 97% strength with a long cable run. No further adjustments necessary, no meter used during installation. That blew me away. 5 LNB btw.

I did mine that way as well, didn't want to spend the money for a meter that I would use 2-3 times a year.
Everything in the 90's for the101,110,119, 99 and 103 in the 60's but I don't know how accurate the meter is for the new sats at this time.

Jimbo

Ditto, get 101 locked in then 119 and despite what a lot of people say, everything else should be dead nut. I put my own up two weeks ago after D* installer came out and said he wouldn't do it unless he used a pole. I told him to forget it, that I would do it myself. He chuckled. Who's laughing now. I am locked in with 96-100% on 101, 103, 110 & 119 and have 92-96% on 99. Bring on HD football...

GEAUX SAINTS
GEAUX TIGERS

One last tidbit. I didn't even have to touch the fine tune adjustment screws, but if you do, be careful, I have heard they can snap if not done right.

Am I supposed to be getting a signal on both the 99 & 103? My zip code 67665 & at this time we do not have hi-def locals, but will later this year. Thanks, guys.

I just want to be able to get the new hi-def channels in Sept.!!!

some recivers give a reading for the 99. this is a false reading. there is nothing there. that is why the slimline should be dithered during installation. dithering is a process using the fine tune adjustments to insure the proper reception from the 99 and 103 once both are up and running. don't want to say it can't without a meter, but i wouldn't want to try it. for now as long as you are getting the 103 you will be ok come sept.

Receiving signal on 3 of the 6 transponders. Don't know how, but that's what my signal strength meter on HR-20 says, anyway.

I get SS on 5 out of 6 but I think unless you have a high SS that they are signals from other areas that you are getting some of.
On the 99 my highest is 64 it seems that the even get better SS than the odd, but as I said, there may be no programming on the 99 in my area.

My SS for the 103 are as follows:
66,0,72,79,70,79 and 0 on the TP 17
Now these are a bit lower than I usually have, but I know I am close enough to Detroit to pick up channel 96 (If they would turn it on for me) and that is on either TP 4 or 6 , I don't remember, so those are the only ones I've ever paid attention to on the 103.

I hope these numbers are deceint, this I do not know, it could be that the 99 and 103 read what the birddog read at the dish, in which case thats great.
My installer at the dish said he had signals at about 70 and it don't get any better, I said, why not close to 100 like I use to see on my rec. meter, he said they never go over 70.
This had me doubting the job being done, until he set up the rec. and I found all my normal sats were locked in at 92 and up, then I was happy.

Jimbo

My SS for the 103 are as follows:
66,0,72,79,70,79 and 0 on the TP 17
Now these are a bit lower than I usually have, but I know I am close enough to Detroit to pick up channel 96 (If they would turn it on for me) and that is on either TP 4 or 6 , I don't remember, so those are the only ones I've ever paid attention to on the 103.

most h20's will show signal in 70's and low 80's. if a basic reciver is connected at same location it would read mid 80's to mid 90's. also signal on birdog depends on which sat your on and if battery is fully charged.

some recivers give a reading for the 99. this is a false reading. there is nothing there. that is why the slimline should be dithered during installation. dithering is a process using the fine tune adjustments to insure the proper reception from the 99 and 103 once both are up and running. don't want to say it can't without a meter, but i wouldn't want to try it. for now as long as you are getting the 103 you will be ok come sept.

And yet the HD locals for my area are on the 99 and we're getting them. :confused:

And yet the HD locals for my area are on the 99 and we're getting them. :confused:

guess i'm wrong. i thought dtv only sent one up and we get hd locals off 103. my main point is slimline needs dithered, but i know patrick all ready told you.

guess i'm wrong. i thought dtv only sent one up and we get hd locals off 103. my main point is slimline needs dithered, but i know patrick all ready told you.

I guess maybe I'll have to do some adjusting next month, maybe, maybe not ... regardless, it's not a big deal.

Jimbo

Will the new hi-def channels that dtv are adding be on the 103, because right now I get nothing on the 103, as for the 99 on transponder 1, I get a signal of 25

Will the new hi-def channels that dtv are adding be on the 103, because right now I get nothing on the 103, as for the 99 on transponder 1, I get a signal of 25

This is likely because they are no signals at all in your area from 103, but an adjacent market is using 99 and you are getting a weak signal.

any luck without a signal meter....?

Have any of you guys had any luck installing the slimeline ka/ku band dish without the help of a signal meter? I am planning on installing it later this week, and was wondering if the 20 dollar meters from ebay are any good, or just to pay an installer the 80 bucks to do it. Any thoughts?? Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)