Will Voom Come To Fios?

tvwatchingdude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
WILL THE VOOM HD Channels COME TO FIOS? I really want to know, i want to switch to fios, but i like Monsters HD, and they do not have it.

WILL THE VOOM HD Channels COME TO FIOS? I really want to know, i want to switch to fios, but i like Monsters HD, and they do not have it.

I switched from Cablevision five months ago. Does Cablevision still have awful SD quality? I hear it does - FIOS blows it away as far as picture quality. Also why on earth did they waste incredibly precious bandwith capacity to add FIFTEEN Voom channels instead of real national HD channels like FX, USA, Scifi, CNNHD, etc., etc. Wait I know!! - the Dolans didn't have to spend a dime for them. Sorry my friend - you can keep Voom and Cablevision.

It would certainly be an enticement for me.

Not for me. After they add all the major national HD channels, why not. They'll need a lot more channels than are currently available to reach the 150 promised by year-end 2008.

I switched from Cablevision five months ago. Does Cablevision still have awful SD quality? I hear it does - FIOS blows it away as far as picture quality. Also why on earth did they waste incredibly precious bandwith capacity to add FIFTEEN Voom channels instead of real national HD channels like FX, USA, Scifi, CNNHD, etc., etc. Wait I know!! - the Dolans didn't have to spend a dime for them. Sorry my friend - you can keep Voom and Cablevision.

So you switched before voom was even added, so you dont even know what your missing, 15 channels that show 24hrs of full hd. I much rather have that then a channel that may show 2 or 3 hours of hd a day if your lucky. Plus voom has unique programming you will not find on any other channel which is great, i personally like the show treasure divers, concrete canvas, the over series where they fly over different locations in a helicopter giving a narrative. Also the concerts on Rave cant wait for thanksgiving when they are going to be premiring the queen under pressure concert and david gilmour concert.

So you switched before voom was even added, so you dont even know what your missing, 15 channels that show 24hrs of full hd. I much rather have that then a channel that may show 2 or 3 hours of hd a day if your lucky. Plus voom has unique programming you will not find on any other channel which is great, i personally like the show treasure divers, concrete canvas, the over series where they fly over different locations in a helicopter giving a narrative. Also the concerts on Rave cant wait for thanksgiving when they are going to be premiring the queen under pressure concert and david gilmour concert.

My neighbor is still with Cablevision and I've seen them at his house. Like me, he thinks they're nice "eye candy" and is furious they wasted what little bandwith Cablevison has left on them. Following Verizon's announcement last week that they will begin a massive expansion of national HD channels in 2008, he has decided to switch to FIOS.

No, it was acquired by one of the other providers and they hold exclusive rights to it. Sorry.

sorry but cablevision still owns voom, dish purchased the satellite and invested in them like 20% if I remember correctly but cablevision via rainbow media still owns and controls voom.

My neighbor is still with Cablevision and I've seen them at his house. Like me, he thinks they're nice "eye candy" and is furious they wasted what little bandwith Cablevison has left on them. Following Verizon's announcement last week that they will begin a massive expansion of national HD channels in 2008, he has decided to switch to FIOS.

because he knows how much bandwidth cablevision has :rolleyes: they currently have more hd channels, more sports channels(center ice, league pass, etc.), more international channels. And they currently have a internet service that is faster then anything verizon can offer albeit very few customers have it, it is called ultra and is a symmetrical 50/50 speed. Let me know when verizon starts offering these services to customers.

because he knows how much bandwidth cablevision has :rolleyes: they currently have more hd channels, more sports channels(center ice, league pass, etc.), more international channels. And they currently have a internet service that is faster then anything verizon can offer albeit very few customers have it, it is called ultra and is a symmetrical 50/50 speed. Let me know when verizon starts offering these services to customers.

I think that you are mis-informed. CV currently does have more HD, but that will soon change and they are rate limited by transmission media. As for Internet VZ offers 100meg. That is much more than 50/50. Costs is also less for VZ on the 100 meg than the CV 50 meg. In addition, VZ offers a very attractive 15 meg package as part of the standard residential package for the same price as CV's 5 meg service.

Lets not out out invalid information, k'.

I think that you are mis-informed. CV currently does have more HD, but that will soon change and they are rate limited by transmission media. As for Internet VZ offers 100meg. That is much more than 50/50. Costs is also less for VZ on the 100 meg than the CV 50 meg. In addition, VZ offers a very attractive 15 meg package as part of the standard residential package for the same price as CV's 5 meg service.

Lets not out out invalid information, k'.

why dont you take your own advise because cablevision doesnt have a 5meg connection they have a 15, 30 and 50. VZ 100Mb? Where not anywhere in the new york tri-state area. Cablevision has already stated that by the end of this year they will be able to carry 500hd channels, not the 150 promised by verizon by the end of next year. the difference between cablevision and vz is cablevision is adding hd while verizon is not, in the last year they added what one hd channel a&e.

why dont you take your own advise because cablevision doesnt have a 5meg connection they have a 15, 30 and 50. VZ 100Mb? Where not anywhere in the new york tri-state area. Cablevision has already stated that by the end of this year they will be able to carry 500hd channels, not the 150 promised by verizon by the end of next year. the difference between cablevision and vz is cablevision is adding hd while verizon is not, in the last year they added what one hd channel a&e.

WOW - Cablevision wil have 500 hd channels by this time next year. I can't wait to see that. Oh no they said the will have the ability to carry 500, while Verizon is promising to actually carry 150. I guess only time will tell. Two other points:

A. Verizon has added five HD channels this year - not one.

B. I'm paying the same price for 20/5 internet speed with FIOS vs. the 17/2 I had with Cablevison - and the speeds are far more consistent than they ever were with Optimum online.

But most importantly, I apologize to the rest of this forum for taking the bait from two obvious Cablevision trolls and keeping this idiotic thread alive. The overwhelming majority of you do not live in the New York Metro area and never have had to live with this substandard Cable company. Believe me when I tell you with all its "teething faults", Verizon is still a quantum improvement over Cablevision.

what were the 5hd channels they added? I searched their websited and it lookes like they added sportsnet NY HD and A&E hd this year.

what were the 5hd channels they added? I searched their websited and it lookes like they added sportsnet NY HD and A&E hd this year.

A&E HD
LMN HD
Food Network HD
HGTV HD
Sportsnet HD

There are rumors that History HD, Discovery HD, The Science Channel HD, TLC HD and the Animal Planet HD will be added by year-end. But I never bet any money on rumors.

WOW - Cablevision wil have 500 hd channels by this time next year. I can't wait to see that. Oh no they said the will have the ability to carry 500, while Verizon is promising to actually carry 150. I guess only time will tell. Two other points:

A. Verizon has added five HD channels this year - not one.

B. I'm paying the same price for 20/5 internet speed with FIOS vs. the 17/2 I had with Cablevison - and the speeds are far more consistent than they ever were with Optimum online.

But most importantly, I apologize to the rest of this forum for taking the bait from two obvious Cablevision trolls and keeping this idiotic thread alive. The overwhelming majority of you do not live in the New York Metro area and never have had to live with this substandard Cable company. Believe me when I tell you with all its "teething faults", Verizon is still a quantum improvement over Cablevision.

Cablevision is not any worse than Time Warner, Cox, AT&T, or whatever it will be next week here in Texas. Poor video quality, slow and intermittent internet connections and piss por customer service. At least VZ provides a good picture quality and rockin Internet access.

I too am ashamed that I let these Cable employees draw me into silly banter. We all know which products have better this than that. I think most of us have had at least 2 of the 4 options out there so we know better.

To answer this thread's original question...

VOOM will NEVER come to FiOS, because Cablevision's Rainbow Media owns VOOM and gave Echostar (Dish Network) a 20% equity position as part of the deal that moved the VOOM channels to Dish, using the Rainbow-1 satellite that Cablevision sold to Echostar.

Bottom line, FiOS and Cablevision are arch-enemies in the tri-state NY Metro area. Old man Dolan would NEVER give his cable competitor access to Cablevision's VOOM channels, just as he now denies FiOS the Hi-Def versions of his Madison Square Garden and Fox Sports NY networks.

And the satellite competitor that owns 20% of VOOM (Dish Network) apparently has veto power over potential cable carriers, one of several reasons why Cablevision is the ONLY American cable company to carry the VOOM channels. A bigger reason is Cablevision's insistence that any domestic cable or satellite customer carry the entire bandwidth-hogging 15-channel suite of VOOM networks, something damn near impossible for any carrier BUT Verizon. Yet Rainbow has no qualms about striking deals in Canada, Europe and Asia letting foreign cable & satellite carriers cherry-pick the VOOM networks or carry hybrid composite channels of VOOM programming.

As for the future, Cablevision will undoubtedly sell its Rainbow division to pay down the onerous debt from its just-failed attempt to go private. Media conglomerates such as Viacom and NBC-Universal will buy Rainbow's AMC, IFC, We and fuse channels for their film libraries or subscribers, and fold them into existing networks. And they'd pick-over VOOM's library of already-licensed, already mastered in Hi-Def films to quickly boost their existing channels' repertoire of HD programming. And so, VOOM will soon ceast to exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts