will we ever get USN in HD?

chiefsman

Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Being a huge international sports fan, I think the channel dish is missing the most in HD is Universal Sports. I don't understand why it isn't there. They have these free previews from time to time and even had a separate HD channel running promos about all the great events on USN in 2015 but I just can't watch sports in SD.

They have so many big events next year like the track world champs, swimming world champs and most importantly the Rugby World Cup.

What are the odds we ever get this channel in HD?

Being a huge international sports fan, I think the channel dish is missing the most in HD is Universal Sports. I don't understand why it isn't there.

Hate to tell you, but there's very few providers carrying it in HD; even on the "sports leader" DirecTV, it's only in SD, as well.
According to this, about the only providers carrying it, are FiOS, BHN, Cox & some TWC systems; I also know Bend Broadband carries it as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...s-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-10-2-14-a.html

It's a stepchild channel for sure. I think they either have to upgrade it's content and make it HD or let go back to OTA,

To answer a few of the replies. All their content is in HD (just not on Dish or some other providers). It's a great channel if you like all the big Olympic sports plus cycling and this year with Rugby World Cup. I'd rather not watch it online or connect my computer to the TV, etc. I'm not really that handy for that. I just want a channel that is available in HD to all providers but DISH somehow thinks it's not important enough to have it ion HD. To me it makes no sense. Who even watches SD channels anymore if you have an HD TV?

Reactions: bluegras
If I remember correctly, a while ago, someone posted that they were a employee of USN and said that USN did supply the feed in HD. I see the channel in 16:9 format, but not full screen.
While I wish it was in true full screen HD, I'll settle for what we get. When it was ota, only 2 or 3 cities in NY carried it as a sub channel. So ota is not an option.

I remember reading an article many months ago that Comcast/NBC/Universal has stated a longterm plan is to move more content from USN to NBC Sports and do something else with USN's slots on the MVPD's who carry it. NBC Sports is to be their flagship sports channel.

If I remember correctly, a while ago, someone posted that they were a employee of USN and said that USN did supply the feed in HD. I see the channel in 16:9 format, but not full screen.
While I wish it was in true full screen HD, I'll settle for what we get. When it was ota, only 2 or 3 cities in NY carried it as a sub channel. So ota is not an option.
No. NBC pulled USN from all its O&O OTA sub-channels years agoto make USN available via MVPD only. I thought that was kind of sad. But, so be it. NBC did add COZY TV to take the place of USN on its O&O (and some affiliates) OTA sub-channels.

To answer a few of the replies. All their content is in HD (just not on Dish or some other providers). It's a great channel if you like all the big Olympic sports plus cycling and this year with Rugby World Cup. I'd rather not watch it online or connect my computer to the TV, etc. I'm not really that handy for that. I just want a channel that is available in HD to all providers but DISH somehow thinks it's not important enough to have it ion HD. To me it makes no sense. Who even watches SD channels anymore if you have an HD TV?
and, I presume, you also think DirecTV does not think it important enough, either, or, for that matter, the vast majority of the MSO's.

NBC currently only owns less then 10% of the channel. They act very independent. They have a lot of programming (live and delayed) that is ONLY available on their channel and not on NBCSN. After finally getting Fox Sports2 in HD I believe this is the last national all sports network to not be carried by Dish in HD (not including One World Sports or a couple other tiny networks). I'm a loyal Dish guy and this isn't a deal breaker but I think they need to make the push to switch this over to HD.

NBC currently only owns less then 10% of the channel. They act very independent. They have a lot of programming (live and delayed) that is ONLY available on their channel and not on NBCSN. After finally getting Fox Sports2 in HD I believe this is the last national all sports network to not be carried by Dish in HD (not including One World Sports or a couple other tiny networks). I'm a loyal Dish guy and this isn't a deal breaker but I think they need to make the push to switch this over to HD.

All the more reason for Comcast/NBC/Universal to just invest more in NBCSports Channel and less in USP. I don't think this channel is long for existence. Far more likely to change content or just fade away.

I think Universal Sports will stay in business. Even if NBC dropped their 8% investment in them they are primarily owned by a private equity firm. NBCSN is already full of content on weekends with live coverage of soccer, motorsports, hockey, etc. USN shows mainly sports in the winter/summer that feature in the Olympics such as track, swimming, skiing, figure skating, etc. They have a ton of live content that is essential to be seen in HD (like all sports). I hope someone from DISH has noticed this post. Please get this channel in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)