Will we get to keep HD + plat pack for one year?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I looked at DISH's website a few minutes ago. Now I know things keep changing on their website but I got to thinking. Since the latest hd programming page shows HD + Plat pack as a bonus for NEW SUBS ONLY, does that go with the pricing structure for classic packs for new subs as well? They have the programming packs reduced in price for 1 year so it would stand to reason that the HD + Plat pack , that is being offered for 10.00 to "new subs only" ,would be for one year as well.

For example: Classic bronze pack is 24.99 (reg price 39.99) for 12 months for new subs only.

So I would have to conclude that DISH is only offering the Plat pack included with the hd pack for one year at that $10.00 price , since it is only for NEW SUBS . Which makes me ask some questions:

1) How do existing subs get platinum pack since it no longer is a stand alone pack , if they don't already have it?

2) Will those who want the hd + plat pack still be able to get it at the new sub price of $10.00?

3) Will all of us that got the HD + plat pack for 10.00 be keeping it only for 12 months as well , like the new subs do?

I wish that Scott G. could find out some answers to this from DISH. Scott any answers?

I looked at DISH's website a few minutes ago. Now I know things keep changing on their website but I got to thinking. Since the latest hd programming page shows HD + Plat pack as a bonus for NEW SUBS ONLY, does that go with the pricing structure for classic packs for new subs as well? They have the programming packs reduced in price for 1 year so it would stand to reason that the HD + Plat pack , that is being offered for 10.00 to "new subs only" ,would be for one year as well.

For example: Classic bronze pack is 24.99 (reg price 39.99) for 12 months for new subs only.

So I would have to conclude that DISH is only offering the Plat pack included with the hd pack for one year at that $10.00 price . Which makes me ask some questions:

1) How do existing subs get platinum pack since it no longer is a stand alone pack , if they don't already have it?

2) Will those who want the hd + plat pack still be able to get it at the new sub price of $10.00?

3) Will all of us that got the HD + plat pack for 10.00 be keeping it only for 12 months as well , like the new subs do?

I wish that Scott G. could find out some answers to this from DISH. Scott any answers?

Just do a chat and get it, despite what the web page said. Lots of people have gotten it this morning...all HD and Plat for $10.00
I see NO reason to presume we would only have it for a year. The one year applies to the special Classic prices. Go get it.

They have the programming packs reduced in price for 1 year so it would stand to reason that the HD + Plat pack , that is being offered for 10.00 to "new subs only",would be for one year as well.

They're not really reduced in price. They are charged at the full price and then a $15 per month credit is applied. When the credit stops after 12 months, the package and pricing should remain intact.

They're not really reduced in price. They are charged at the full price and then a $15 per month credit is applied. When the credit stops after 12 months, the package and pricing should remain intact.
There will be a price increase in Feb as usual. So after twelve mos, you pay the going rate.

Just do a chat and get it, despite what the web page said. Lots of people have gotten it this morning...all HD and Plat for $10.00
I see NO reason to presume we would only have it for a year. The one year applies to the special Classic prices. Go get it.

I have the HD + plat pack now, but I am asking the questions since DISH has changed their website to remove the Special Bonus Platinum HD >Platinum channels included FREE with any HD package and changed it to say only NEW SUBS .

So you are saying that the HD + platinum pack is being charged at $20.00 with a $10.00 credit as well?

So you are saying that the HD + platinum pack is being charged at $20.00 with a $10.00 credit as well?

No. More channels for $10.00. Simple. Period. And as for the new subs thing on the website, it's not being enforced.

No. More channels for $10.00. Simple. Period. And as for the new subs thing on the website, it's not being enforced.

I wonder if that is because of Scott informing all of us his members , that this deal was being offered last weekend?

I got on the chat a few days ago and requested that the Platinum channels be added. The rep advised that they were added to my gold HD 250 pack at no charge. She did not ask any questions. I checked recent activity on my account and see the changes, but no additional charge was applied. Excellent! :cool:

I have the HD + plat pack now, but I am asking the questions since DISH has changed their website to remove the Special Bonus Platinum HD >Platinum channels included FREE with any HD package and changed it to say only NEW SUBS .

Where do you see NEW SUBS? I've pulled it up in a few different browsers and I still see "Included Free with any HD package!" I've tried it with my login info and without.

Thanks

Yeah it depends on what browser your using for what you will see on the Dish website.

If you got the deal you got it, they are not going to take it back.

I am also hearing if you call and cancel your HD package then call back and readd it you also get the platinum packages as well too, siince thats the way the system is setup.

I knew this was going to be a big issue for Dish when they announced it, and I was correct. I said it before but Dish should hire me as a consultant. :)

Yeah it depends on what browser your using for what you will see on the Dish website.

That makes me wonder if it is supposed to be there or not supposed to be there. Perhaps an authoring blunder that was not fixed for all browsers or whatever is done.

That makes me wonder if it is supposed to be there or not supposed to be there. Perhaps an authoring blunder that was not fixed for all browsers or whatever is done.
Thats not my issue. :)

The issue was they advertised the Platinum Package being free with any HD package with no restrictions. They need to honor it for those folks who saw it advertised that way from their website.

The good news is that they still appear to be honoring it which I give them props for. A happy customer keeps their service, an unhappy customer does not. :)

If you got the deal you got it, they are not going to take it back.

I am also hearing if you call and cancel your HD package then call back and readd it you also get the platinum packages as well too, siince thats the way the system is setup.

I knew this was going to be a big issue for Dish when they announced it, and I was correct. I said it before but Dish should hire me as a consultant. :)

But Scott, do you see this being a permanent thing at $10.00 for anyone or only a promotion for a year for new subs like the classic packs are being offered? Do you expect it to change again come the annual February price hike? I expect it to be split back out into two distinct packs again at a price like before. Was the HD + plat pack supposed to only be for new subs , or did DISH just screw the pooch on this one.

There are no restrictions listed, its not listed as a "promotion price" such as get 6 month free Platinum pack.

I would say it will be free until the next price increase in February.

I know price hikes come in on most if not every February for Dish. Restructuring of program packages have been done around August several times. I imagine there will be other names and packages next August as well.
If we want that channel in a certain package, you will have to pay for it.

There are no restrictions listed, its not listed as a "promotion price" such as get 6 month free Platinum pack.

I would say it will be free until the next price increase in February.

Then it will go back up to $20.00 a month and all of us that took the HD + plat pack will be screwed paying the extra $10.00 again like when we had Voom pack added to the original hd pack in 2005. Since there is no way to opt out of the plat pack- since it is part of the HD pack now. Talk about BAIT AND SWITCH. :(

Called Dish CSR, requested free platinum, asked if I needed to cancel HD , then call back to sign up for HD again. She said no, I'm taking care of it now. My bill will be reduced from 123.00 a month to 113.00, she said. She also offered me 3 months free HBO, but since I just dropped HBO, I was not authorized to receive the HBO offer. I need to wait 3 months, then can receive the offer of 3 month free HBO.

I wouldn't worry about that yet... Who knows HD is becoming mainstream. Maybe one day the HD costs will just be built into the main package.

Anything is possible. :)

I've been saying for months now that the hd channels should not cost anymore than their sd counterparts. I even said DISH should be the first to offer them for free with the regular programming packs and I thought the plat pack being added to the hd pack was a step in that direction. Because the 10.00 price would pay for the plat pack since those channels have no sd equivalent. I sure hope that DISH will listen to both of us and do that very thing next time they change their prices and make hd FREE with any programming pack. But I won't hold my breath for it.

1000.2 or 1000.4 satellite for South Arkansas?

Ask AllAmericanDirect - Distant Network Q's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)