Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Will you buy the first version of the Apple Watch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%

• Total voters
I'd love it if I could interest my wife in the Gold-tone or Rose Gold-tone Sports Apple Watch. She doesn't get my texts because her 5s sits in her purse with the ringer silenced. I saw the Rose Gold Sports watch in the Apple Store today and the Antique White & Lavender bands are very nice choices for the Rose Gold. But even the 38mm is still a tad too big for her wrist.

I bought my wife one from Best Buy last night , online website. She doesn't want one but I explained the benefits to her of having one. She liked that you can receive calls with it.

My wife loves her Rose Gold Melanese band with the Rose Gold cover. It looks just like the Edition version. Even fooled the Jeweler on the cruise ship, thinking we had Edition series.

We have a sets of these now for yellow gold, and black with link and Melanese bands. The covers are plastic but look high quality and fit precisely.

Amazon product ASIN B013HUMC0U
Amazon product ASIN B013GDI86U

My wife's Apple Watch takes a long time to boot up. Is this normal ? I power it on and the apple logo is shown but should it take longer than 5 mins for the logo to go away and into the home screen ?

My wife's Apple Watch takes a long time to boot up. Is this normal ? I power it on and the apple logo is shown but should it take longer than 5 mins for the logo to go away and into the home screen ?

Yes. Takes a long time to boot up.
No worries.

Hopefully, you mean only when doing an OS update. Then it does take awhile. We've had two updates to the wOS. Normal operation you should never need to power the watch down on a regular basis. At least we haven't. In the Hotel wifi, my upgrade to wOS2 took several hours. However when we got home I updated my wife's watch and it took 24 minutes.

However, I find that my wife's iphone 5 needs to be completely powered down once a week for it to run properly. My iphone6+ about once a month. Seems this is necessary or some apps just fail to function properly. On my wife's iphone5 the number keypad will fail to launch which is pretty sad. In April when we were in the Apple store in Las Vegas I asked one of the Apple geniuses about this and he said that was correct, power the iphone down weekly to keep it running at peak performance. The power button only shuts off the screen but the phone stays on. I don't recall needing to do this with my android phone.

To power the watch down completely, you need to press the long bar on the right side for several seconds and then select power off top slider. You should never need to do this under normal operating use.

In the watch app on your iphone go into My watch/sounds and Haptics. Shut off alert volume, turn up Haptic strength and turn on Prominent Haptic. That is how mine is set up too.

I was driving home tonight and got a phone call, I answered it on my car Bluetooth but the watch kept ringing and ringing. Had to end the call as the watch kept ringing and call the person back. It was the only way I could think of to get it to stop.

That is strange, Scott. When I get a call in the car I can answer it either from the car, the iphone, or the watch and the others stop ringing when I answer. Ignore works the same way. However, my watch just taps me on the wrist, but it still stops tapping when I answer. I've never used the watch ringer. I thought the attention it would bring in a public setting would be too distracting so I only use Haptic alerts.

I saw quite a few on the cruise ship. One waiter in the main dining room had one of the new Gold sport models with a black band. It looked real sharp. He stopped by and admired my wife's Rose Gold accessorized sport version.

FYI, if you've been waiting for a deal on the Apple Watch Sport or Apple Watch, B&H Photo has a selection available for $50-$100 off, plus a $50 B&H Photo Gift card!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search/atclk/ci/24033/N/3957447224+4291615352
B&H Photo has amended their offer to a straight $100 off the price (no Gift cards) for the Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch. That makes the 38mm aluminum watch with the stock band $249. That's almost normal high-end watch pricing.

That's almost normal high-end watch pricing.

Normal high end watch pricing is $750-$1500. Not to say that low end watches aren't good, like <$100 plastic Casio's; Just saying if you shop watches in the high end category, like Tissot, Citizen, Seiko, or similar in stores, you'll pay $750-$1500 and a few of them even more. People who respect really high end time pieces, think Breitling, Tag Heuer, Omega, Rolex and many others, ranging from $2000 to $10,000. Then we have the really esoteric brands like Cartier ranging from $25,000 and up. If you just need to know the time, a $10 Casio can do that. If you need more, spend $200 for a decent rugged watch. If you need special features, then the high end brands are best. Anything more and that is a statement piece.

I think for what you get, the Apple Sport is probably the best deal on the market. The $250 price point is a real steal, IMO.

BTW- the best way to buy high end watches is in the used market. I once saw a $75,000 Cartier 18 Kt 15 Kt diamonds watch at a pawn shop for $18,000.

I think when the Apple watch 2 comes out, we will see a nice used market open up for the SS models.

Yeah, I forgot about the real high-end market. I was thinking back to when I paid $300 or so for my Seiko quartz analog with LCD display for various functions (day & date, stop watch, travel TZ, alarm) which was my favorite time piece. I still have it, but it runs too fast since I accidentally turned the timing adjustment when I tried to change the battery myself.

My AutoWeek magazine likes to run the Father's Day and Christmas gift guide which usually includes a number of automotive-themed time pieces. This month the price runs from $725 for the Tissot PR100 Chronometer Danica Patrick 2015 to $43,600 for the King Gold Hublot Big Bang Ferrari Carbon with its bi-material fusion bezel of carbon and precious metals. The Tag Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 aims at the middle ground for $5,250.

Being a former diver who still does snorkeling, I favor diver style watches. I was real disappointed when the Apple watch did not qualify due to water resistance. So to resolve that I use a Tissot T-Touch for water activity. I'm on my second one as the first one finally failed. The electronics module went dead! Hope the new one lasts more than 8 years. I also still have my Seiko divers watch that is old fashion self wind. Shake it up and it still works. I bought it in 1974.

I think for what you get, the Apple Sport is probably the best deal on the market. The $250 price point is a real steal, IMO.
At that price, I am looking into getting my wife the rose gold sport. I assume like any other model you can swap the sport band out for any other band of the same size?