Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Will you buy the first version of the Apple Watch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%

• Total voters
I used the Apple Store app with no issues.
Got my email confirmation at 2:04 central time.
Yep. Edition August and see black steal July estimate shipping.

I ordered one this morning... I suppose I should have got up in the middle of the night... Showing July delivery (Black stainless with black stainless band). I hope they deliver earlier...

I wonder if they will release preorder number or not. 90 day backlog on the first day is quite a backlog.

So, either Apple only had a couple thousand ready, per analyst estimates of being a bust. It looks like it will be more like the iPad, sold out 3 days later.

I think scarcity is by design. It would be bigger news if they had ample supply. Apple needs a press frenzy. Better to make it look like you cannot get one any time soon on preorder day and deliver early.

I think I'm going to head into our local Apple store today to get a look at the Apple Watch, even if it is through the glass. Actually, my first application would be for my wife since she keeps her iPhone on vibrate all the time, and since it's in her purse, she never gets my calls or texts until she checks her purse hours later. With an Apple Watch, she would get the notification immediately. Which would probably bug her, but it's a moot point now, what with deliveries being at least 6 weeks out for the Stainless Steel, months for the Aluminum and Gold.

One interesting thing I noticed: my company gets EPP pricing and the Apple Watch as well as the new MacBook Retina do not appear in our store as options. Another reason to wait, I guess...

I was able to walk in and get an appointment to try the Apple Watch, bother 42mm and 38mm, with the Milanese band. I have to hand it to Apple, the magnet that holds the clasp to the stainless steel band is strong enough that the few times I tried to dislodge it, it stuck firmly. It feels very much like a fabric more than metal. Here are the 42mm and 38 mm in Stainless with the Milanese band:
IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2354.JPG
I actually liked the 38mm size as it seems to fit my wrist better than the 42mm.

I checked the watchcase with Sports and Edition Apple Watches. Our Apple Store won't have the Edition to try, only the ones in the display table.
IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2355.JPG IMG_2356.JPG
Finally, I also played with the new MacBook Retina. The keyboard feels very different from the flat Apple keyboards I've grown used to over these last five years. The Force Touch Trackpad is pretty cool, it fools you into thinking that it moves when it's actually fixed. My favorite finish is the Space Gray:
IMG_2352.JPG

The one thing I do not understand is why "gold" adds $8.9k to the price of the watch (highest priced stainless at $1,100 to cheapest gold at $10k).

It is not like there is a lot of gold included... Then there is the $7k leather buckle with "gold" clasp. Really? Is there even an ounce of gold in the whole thing (around $1200). It is outrageous enough that a stainless steel band costs $500, but $7000???

A) It's Apple;
B) It's magic;
C) It's hand-crafted, over-engineered; and
D) It's Apple

Reactions: StevenD
More research shows an Apple patent on lightweight 18k gold. http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

The karat measure of gold is based on the mass fraction. One hundred grams of 18k gold has 75 grams of gold and 25 grams of other material. If that “other material” is a low-density ceramic, it takes up a bigger volume than if it’s a high-density metal. Because the casing of a watch is made to a particular size (i.e. volume), not to a particular weight, the ?Watch will have less gold in it than an 18k case made of a conventional alloy.

So, the current estimates (until people actually get them to weigh them) is less than 1/2 ounce of gold for the watch.

A) It's Apple;
B) It's magic;
C) It's hand-crafted, over-engineered; and
D) It's Apple
E) it Jewelry for those who don't consider the gold monetary value.

I chose stainless model because I am rather rough with watches and they tend to get scratched up, 316SS is much tougher than aluminum alloy.

I'm not concerned with battery life at all. While my current watch lasts 2 days with heavy notices, I have no problems recharging it every night. Plus I carry a recharging battery with my phone and use it at least once a week. I can just plug it in for an hour or two and I'm good for another day. Tonight while at dinner my wife said her iPhone was down to 5% so I gave the battery charger to her and by the time we were done eating at the restaurant, her phone was at 86%. I can connect it to microUSB or iPhone and I have an adapter to plug in the Apple Watch magnet cord.

Roland- those are some nice quality photos of the watches you took. Did you shoot them with an iPhone 6?

E) it Jewelry for those who don't consider the gold monetary value.
Right, I forgot to add that. The Apple Watch has a nice, solid feel to it. Since my last watch was from the 1990s, excuse me if my references are dated, but the device seemed better than my Seiko I used to wear. As nice as I felt the Seiko was, the Apple Watch feels very natural to have on your wrist.

I think Apple is right on the money for offering these One on One appointments to try the Apple Watch. I was on the fence before with questions about the speed, display appearance, size, how the Taptic would feel, etc., and now I could see making the case to my wife that we should both get one.
Roland- those are some nice quality photos of the watches you took. Did you shoot them with an iPhone 6?
Yes, those are from my iPhone 6 I picked up in January after my 5s went through the wash. As happy as I was with the 5s camera I didn't think I needed to improve, but the 6 camera has been taking better photos.

Apple also had Apple Watch test units (SS with black fluoroelastomer - a.k.a. "rubber" - band) that allow you to interact with the watch without it being paired with a phone. An iPad mini attached to the demo stand gives background information regarding the App or screen you have displayed on the Watch. You can customize the Apps and Watch faces pressing further than a simple tap.

Another impression I came away with is that the "low-end" fluoroelastomer band is far from "cheap" or plastic. It feels like you would expect an Apple product should feel. I know that sounds all "fanboi" but if I could express my impressions better, I'd be in Tech Journalism. ;) If you have an Apple Store within an hour or two and you're even vaguely interested in the Apple Watch, I'd say it's worth the drive to experience it firsthand. Don, I'd say even though your watches will be showing up in a couple of weeks, if you have a chance to experience them in the flesh, you should do it.

We will try tomorrow in Vegas since they have 4 stores. I'm still amazed that the analysts had it all wrong, again! The in stock production run has sold out in 6 hours. I think Apple needs to ignore these reviewers and analysts and just do
their own market studies, and keep the results secret. Then they can build an inventory that better matches the secret survey. Too many times Apple has sold out of a commodity item like a new phone and now this watch. I recall the iPad was sold out in 3 days forcing a month wait.

I ignored all the negative comments by these snot nosed experts and made my own decision. My wife also looked at the video a month ago and said she wants one too. There was never any doubt in my mind this was going to be a game changer and initial sellout.

Last evening I searched Amazon and see the stainless link band will now be offered by the discounters for $224. The Milanese band for $75. Availability is said to be April. 30. What do you all think of these, knockoff counterfeits, or just wholesaler pricing of accessories? The rubber bands for $15 too. All said to be ready to ship 4/30.

Game changer? How? I just don't understand. Other than biometrics, what does it DO that I can't do already with my iPhone 6+? Hundreds or more for a bit of convenience?

It is so bizarre to me I can't help but think there's something I just haven't understood yet. What?

We will try tomorrow in Vegas since they have 4 stores. I'm still amazed that the analysts had it all wrong, again! The in stock production run has sold out in 6 hours. I think Apple needs to ignore these reviewers and analysts and just do
their own market studies, and keep the results secret. Then they can build an inventory that better matches the secret survey. Too many times Apple has sold out of a commodity item like a new phone and now this watch. I recall the iPad was sold out in 3 days forcing a month wait.

I ignored all the negative comments by these snot nosed experts and made my own decision. My wife also looked at the video a month ago and said she wants one too. There was never any doubt in my mind this was going to be a game changer and initial sellout.

Last evening I searched Amazon and see the stainless link band will now be offered by the discounters for $224. The Milanese band for $75. Availability is said to be April. 30. What do you all think of these, knockoff counterfeits, or just wholesaler pricing of accessories? The rubber bands for $15 too. All said to be ready to ship 4/30.

Mycell is the company selling these bands on Amazon.
I looked at them this morning. The pics look exactly like the bands made by Apple or it is the same pic from an Apple website.
I'll wait till reviews pop in on these before buying. I am interested in black leather band.

I'm left handed and wear watch on my right but never have had a left handed watch with the crown toward my hand.
I could keep it that way but will probably flip it.

I wonder if some Apple employees are looking to make a little on the side since the employee discount on ?Watch is supposed to be 50%...
I'm left handed and wear watch on my right but never have had a left handed watch with the crown toward my hand.
I could keep it that way but will probably flip it.
I finally saw that the ?Watch can be worn with the Digital Crown on the left. It's in the ?Watch settings on your iPhone. Since the bands can be exchanged it isn't a big deal to do. The only downside I see is the crown isn't centered.

Last edited:
I wonder if some Apple employees are looking to make a little on the side since the employee discount on Apple Watch is supposed to be 50%...I finally saw that the Apple Watch can be worn with the Digital Crown on the left. It's in the Apple Watch settings on your iPhone. Since the bands can be exchanged it isn't a big deal to do. The only downside I see is the crown isn't centered.

Nice review by the way

The Apple Watch knockoffs has the crowned centered.
Shouldn't be the other way around

I forgot to mention if you make an appointment to see an ?Watch that the watch runs a canned demo. There's no way to try the tilt to wake or go back to review something that was shown. It isn't too big a deal as there are plenty of interactive ?Watches to try out. You just can't wear it while you play with it.

There was also a Security guard near the entrance in our store, something I've never seen (or at least noticed) before.

Game changer? How? I just don't understand. Other than biometrics, what does it DO that I can't do already with my iPhone 6+? Hundreds or more for a bit of convenience?

It is so bizarre to me I can't help but think there's something I just haven't understood yet. What?

I think what they are selling is the possibilities of having the phone on your wrist. Yes, now you have to have both the phone and the wrist, but perhaps someday it will be wrist only... The apps are going to make or break this product. No one knows for sure what is going to be the breakthrough or if it is going to end up being a flop. But, I am thinking it will be a breakthrough in the end because there are so many developers working night and day on it to come up with the killer app...

I wonder how long it will take for smart people to come up with the idea of finding the right color Krylon spray paint, or someone sells a small can of the right color paint. Take the band off, the kit comes with a protective sticky plastic for the front and back of the watch and you just spray paint the matte watch to the exact color gold. A little clear afterwards for scratch protection.. Voila, a $10K watch for $400 dollars!

Maybe I should start looking for custom paint mixes that will match the rose or other gold color and package it like ink refill kits....

;)