Win 7 Mobile News thread

Would not say it's garbarge! I bet Win7 devices will give Androids and Iphone run for their money and will have some of the best hardware specs on the market. Right now Androids have taken the lead in the market but I think things will change some once the Win 7 devices hit the market. Some demo devices are already out performing some of the Android devices and others. But most native apps will support multitasking but making some apps use memory more than other yet again will save on battery life so forth. Either way multitasking is something that some folks are making a bigger deal out of than necessary which will show once the top devices are out. :)

In the specs I read, there will be no multitasking. Looks like they are following in the footsteps of the iphone 2g released 3 years ago.

Multitasking is a big deal for me and most other phone users, if it wasn't such a big deal Apple wouldn't have made a huge deal out of it when the finally allowed it on the 3GS and 4.

Yeah this is what someone said over on the Win7 Phone board about it..

sigh* Anyone who says "WP7 doesn't have multitasking" is taking a sledgehammer to a very nuanced topic.So, I'll do the same. "No, they're wrong, WP7 does have multitasking."

It depends on what you mean by multitasking.

1. Talk and use data at the same time. This depends on the carrier, not the phone. If you have GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) then you can do both simultaneously. If you have Verizon or Sprint, no such luck.

2. Switch between apps without having to close out of the one you were just in. WP7 does this, too. Microsoft even mandates that there be a "back" button on the devices to make this even easier (though admittedly, I'd like to see a more full-fledged task manager).

3. Listen to music in the background while doing other stuff. Yep, WP7 does this. In fact, from any application you can hit the hardware volume rocker to make playback controls pop down.

So what are all of those reviews talking about? Well, they're drawing the extremely unimportant distinction between running in the background and being paused in the background. All native functionality (of which there is a lot more in WP7 than other phone OSes) will continue to run in the background. So if you had a core function that counted 1, 2, 3 etc. every second, you could start that function, go do something else, and the entire time you're in other apps it will still be counting. Third party apps by default will just pause. So if you start the app and then go do something else, it will still be at 3 (or whatever it was when you left the app). You WON'T have to start all over at 1.

I say "by default" because if the third party app actually needs to run in the background, Microsoft can allow this. For example, Pandora. You want to listen to your Pandora stations even when you're doing other things, right? Well that app can integrate into the Music+Video Hub, and essentially run as if it were a native function - it will run in the background, and you can control the playback by hitting the volume rocker, the same as with the Zune software.

Why the distinction? Two very good reasons. 1. Stability. If the developer of your favorite fart app is the one who decides whether it will run or pause in the background, experience tells us that they'll ALL be running in the background without regard for the integrity of the system. The result is you running out of memory and having to restart because that fart app is so important that it must ALWAYS be running in memory, even if you aren't using it. This is of course undesirable and so Microsoft wanted to step in to decide what runs in the background and what doesn't instead of leaving it up to the third party developers. 2. Battery life. The more stuff running in the background, the faster your phone guzzles down power. So again, it makes sense for Microsoft to decide what is important enough to run in the background and what can just pause.

Frankly, if Microsoft changed any of this and decided to go with quote, full multitasking, unquote, I would be very upset. I want my phone to be stable and to hold a charge for more than two hours. If those online reviews were even half-way honest, they'd have told you all this and probably praised Microsoft for making this decision.

There you go... it all goes back to the company that wrote the OS telling you what to do with your phone that you purchased and paid for. I want to decide what programs I have in memory. If I don't want it in memory I'm smart enough to hit exit or kill it with the task manager. Following in the footsteps of Apple... no thanks. I bought it...I pay for it... I'm going load whatever apps I want on it, whatever music, etc without big brother locking things out for me.

I understand that but I think they will have some lee way on somethings that you can load. But someone got to make a app for the device 1st no matter what device is before anyone can at temp to load it. They will have things you can get through their Marketplace but they will allow apps that are not just Microsoft apps that devs will be able to creat their own for the deivce as well.

Last edited:
So it comes down to if I want a "smart" phone, I am going to have to pay at a minimum $10 a month more + the extra tax. After the dust settles, may have to see if i can find a phone that I like that would let me keep the $30 plan. I don't use 1/3 of the capabilities of my current Mogul so not sure what I would miss going back to a "dumbed" down phone.

I thought this was funny, about a month ago I reloaded the Sprint TV app that I could never get to work on my Mogul. It finally worked and I have watched a few things but with my "old" eyes, the phone screen is just too small! My kids like it though but I am not paying more just for them!

At this point I bet even the Sprint support people wouldn't know for sure if you called in after Oct 1.

I would think if they separate this out as an extra line item $10 fee then you should be able to but what do I know.:confused:

you could do it with 6.1 using ics, a standard part of winmo that the carriers took out

so even if its supposed to be there, dont bet on it

I highly doubt it with all the other phones doing hotspot and tethering if you pay... just doesn't make sense to piss of customers like that. They aren't going to understand why they can't and their buddy can without paying.

I find most of the bloggers and posters don't know what they are talking about. Fact is the wm6.1 can do USB tethering and some phones like my htc TP2 do it via BT and wifi routing too.

What most are confused with is the fact that Verison ALSO offers their software for a monthly charge. That does not mean they won't let you use your software but are quick to warn you that you cannot expect Verizon to give you free tech support on it. You need to deal with the 3rd party software maker for support.

The real problem is that not all 3rd party software works flawlessly and some cause problems in your phone that could violate a warranty.
For my phone- I have found PDANET works great with no issues. It is a USB cable only connection. It also allows the phone to charge through the USB cable which is great for long term usage.
There is a bare minimum 3rd party free software that is called "Mobile wifi router" but it has trouble maintaining connection, and greatly overheats the phone during use. I would not recommend this.
What I use is a $$ package that has three forms of connection and allows for wifi routing up to 5 connections at once. It works great but is $25 as I recall. The battery does not overheat but using it shortens the life so you need to have the phone plugged to a charger in if you are going to have it connected for hours at a time. If a call comes in you lose wifi router.
I have both PDANet and WMWIFI Router installed with full knowledge of Verizon. They don't care and told me so. This is Verizon NOT AT&T. It's not about laws. It's about company policy.

Internet connection sharing - what tethering really is - is expensive to reliably detect on the ISP end.
Even more so, to filter out without shutting the connection down completely.
There is no difference between this and what was happening in the early days of the internet when trying to use routers at home with more than one PC accessing the internet...

Hence, the best the carriers can do is disable this part of the OS (can be worked around with rooting) and/or offer their own such services (the "honest" customer will prefer to pay).

Diogen.

I still use my original AT&T Tilt. ICS was installed on the phone but no shortcut was applied to any menu. I simply created a shortcut to it and have used it for years. It allows BT or USB and is part of the AT&T sanctioned ROM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)