Wind Problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billybill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
We had a bad storm Monday night that I believe may have knocked my dish out of alignment. Yesterday I lost several HD channels on the 103 satellite. I checked the transponder readings on the 103 satellite today and I have a 0 on all even transponders and a mid 40 on all odd transponders. My 99 satellite readings are all mid 70s. Does this sound like an alignment problem or possibly something else? I did notice when I went on the roof to look things over that all of the wire connections were taped except for one. I have a Slimline dish and my zip is 11779.

I would definitely say the dish has been knocked out of alignment. Also, there could be a connector problem. They should be checked as well.

This event regarding wind brings up a question. First, I have been a DirecTV customer since 1996. I have installed all my own systems and have installed systems for friends, relatives and family members. None of these have resulted in changes in alignment due to wind over these years. I'm getting ready to install a Slimline AU9S and am wondering about the additional weight of this dish. I have never had to use monopoles or braces before but now wonder about the wisdom of this. Are there any basic rules or guidance on when they should be used? Is the extra weight of this new dish that much to require their use?

I would use them. Its not the weight, its the resistance of the wind reflected off the increased size of the dish. There is alot more tug on an 36 inch kite vs an 18 inch kite.

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm looking at a DTV-AT9-SB Short Brace and a DTV-AT9-LB Long Brace. Intuitively, I think I should place the Short Brace directly below the J-Mount Mast on a roof mounting for support on "sagging" and place the Long Brace off to the side to help limit wobbling/shaking. Sound right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts