Wind-proofing your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elburn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Maine
So, after several recent storms here and strong steady winds, and even stronger gusts, my dish was eventually knocked out of alignment.

SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

When I first put it up, it took me days (it was the first time I had ever set up a dish by myself, and the only help I got was the reluctance of my brother who didn't really want to be bothered).

Now it's no longer receiving, and when I go back up, I want to make it the last time I do (minus hurricanes, tornados, colossal birds of prey, and the Hand of God).

Does anyone have any tips on protecting the dish from strong winds, other than praying through the night that nothing will happen?

At the time of the crappy weather, I wasn't around so there was nothing I could have done. But, when I go away now and it's not being used, I'd like to protect it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Go Low!

Go Low!

Always install your dish as low as it can go, of course you have to take into account your line of sight to the satellites.

If you have to put it on a roof put it on the edge of the roof then at least it will get some protection from the wind.

At night or during storms motor to the far east or west as it gives the dish a lower profile.

Remove the reflector during HEAVY storms or when away on vacation or whatever, its only four bolts!

Last edited:
PSB said:
Remove the reflector during HEAVY storms or when away on vacation or whatever, its only four bolts!
I did this prior to Katrina, and it was a great idea! We had 140 MPH winds in Metairie, but the alignment on my Channel Master was still DEAD ON after I re-bolted the reflector post-Katrina. The pole and AZ-EL mount didn't offer enough wind resistance to be damaged or even moved...

Good ideas, I never thought of removing the reflector.

I'll have to do that when enough of the ice has melted on the roof.

Thanks!

Yes, the current dish are so light in weight, the best bet is remove the refector when there strong wind coming in.

I still has couple of the old type one meter dish that it weight up to 24 pounds along without the back pole attachment. THose old type will eventually clamp the pole real tight, if your pole is tight enough, it will not move.

I think it was the cost problem, then I have no way to see any dish is matching the old type right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)