Windows 10 Question

Don't forget the sound driver(s).

It wouldn't hurt to check all the other drivers too as some manufacturers aren't set up for automated Windows Update installation.
yes, but like i found out yesterday all my video problems works find in Microsoft Edge so it's got to be Firefox and Opera on my pc

yes, but like i found out yesterday all my video problems works find in Microsoft Edge so it's got to be Firefox and Opera on my pc
The issue isn't with Firefox (and Opera is largely a rebadged Chrome). The issue is that Microsoft took shortcuts in building Edge that aren't "by the book" (aka "banging the hardware"). As nicely as Edge works now, Microsoft may have to do it "by the book" in the future to address a "security issue". This is why Most incarnations of IE eventually end up sucking wind.

It is also important to understand that depending on who you ask, IE support from Microsoft is dwindling fast and Edge may (or may not) be winding down as Microsoft discovers that their browser market share continues to give up ground.

https://www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-june-2016-microsoft-misfortune/

https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0

Reactions: FaT Air
Microsoft also changed the function of the red box X, which had been close or ignore.
It now confirms acceptance of the upgrade.
Effectively making unacceptance impossible.
Think the Europeans will be the first to go after M-Soft on this issue.

Microsoft also changed the function of the red box X, which had been close or ignore.
It now confirms acceptance of the upgrade.
Effectively making unacceptance impossible.
Think the Europeans will be the first to go after M-Soft on this issue.

That the window that states your upgrade time and says 'click here to change' ? Shady, sure, but don't see an issue with requiring people to glance at the few dozen words presented on the screen and comprehend what they're clicking on rather than just 'NOPE. BAD. X.'

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tec...-prompt-that-may-catch-you-out-11364064198485

Religiously keeping 10 out of my 7 box,no auto updates and check every update before I let it install.Did put 10 on another unused box,was a royal PITA,instant hatred,haven't even turned it on for months but probably will again at some point.

Religiously keeping 10 out of my 7 box,no auto updates and check every update before I let it install.Did put 10 on another unused box,was a royal PITA,instant hatred,haven't even turned it on for months but probably will again at some point.
Install Classic Shell and give it a try.

GWX Control Panel from http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html
You can leave updates on. It's kinda sneaky how this works.
You'll never have the GWX icon as windows detects it 'in there' but it uses gwx.exe to shut itself off as soon as it 'turns on'.
(I've used it at least a dozen times)
Killing the gwx process or removing the update that installs gwx is only temporary, very temporary.

Classic shell, why should anyone have to install something, just to make it user friendly? Not to mention friendly to those that clean up malware.
But I also recommend classic shell, if it's too late to revert.

As soon as Microsoft pushed GWX out to those on domains, at work I pushed out a GPO that added a registry key to all of my users that removed the icon. Those who work off site that never or rarely connect to our VPN, I remote'd in and executed the registry edit manually.

I've been using Windows 10 at home since day 1, and feel like I'm traveling back 100 years when I use 7 in some ways. And in some ways I feel like I'm going back 15-20 years as I use Classic Shell to give me the WIN95 cascading style start menu back. :) Once corporate HQ is done customizing and testing Dynamics CRM 2016, WIN 7 at my work will start going bye bye. All three of my computers at home, and my work laptop have performed near flawlessly on Windows 10, I could not be happier.

That the window that states your upgrade time and says 'click here to change' ? Shady, sure, but don't see an issue with requiring people to glance at the few dozen words presented on the screen and comprehend what they're clicking on rather than just 'NOPE. BAD. X.'
Other than in malware, what precedent is there for closing a dialog to approve a fundamental change to one's system?

The fact that Microsoft's own tools are only temporarily effective at blocking the upgrade is awfully sneaky.

You're making my point for me, closing the dialog doesn't cancel anything, nor does it approve it. The dialog states the date the upgrade is being done. Status quo is unchanged. Only shady point here is scheduling an OS upgrade like it's a simple Windows Update.

You're making my point for me, closing the dialog doesn't cancel anything, nor does it approve it.
On the contrary, the user isn't the one that intentionally commissioned the installation of Windows 10 and recommended updates have never before been confused with recommended upgrades. The Windows Update choice is literally "give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates". Instead, Microsoft is going ahead and scheduling the upgrade on the users behalf.

Outside of the malware community (into which Microsoft may be diving in here), closing the dialog should only result in the dialog being prominently popped up again later and no changes made until a specific thumbs up/thumbs down response to a "do you want to upgrade to Windows 10" question is lodged. I wouldn't be surprised if that's precisely what Microsoft's own style guides recommend.

EarDemon, please provide a few examples of where W10 beats W7.
Not speaking for him, but for my own personal use it does everything I used 7 for, just faster. And I do prefer the new look, once I got used to where stuff was, it is easier to navigate.

I have converted two of my home computers, and three of our office PCs to 10. The main office pc and the other one in there will follow soon.

EarDemon, please provide a few examples of where W10 beats W7.

As always your mileage may vary, some of this is more geared toward a work environment, but here's what I like about Windows 10 versus 7 after using it almost exclusively at home since day 1, and on one computer at work.

1) Quicker, snappier more responsive on boot up and shut down. (With Fast Boot DISabled on Windows 10)

2) File Manager is more robust
- More reliable when copying or moving hundreds or thousands of files that add up to 100’s of GB
- Long file paths are less of an issue

3) Better native multiple display customization, some of which was first introduced on Windows 8.
- The ability to have unique wallpapers
- Customization of taskbar on multiple displays
- Scrolling on inactive display (and Inactive Windows on same display)

4) Advancements to the CMD Prompt
- Full screen
- Ctrl+V keyboard shortcut now supported
- Word wrap

5) Improved DLNA support (started in Windows 8)

6) No need for third party tools to mount ISO images

7) I find the View Ribbon in My Computer on Windows 10 a much faster solution to Show/Hide Hidden Files and Show/Hide File Exts then going in the Folder Options Control Panel and going to the View Tab.

8) Notifications on lock screen

9) Native PDF Virtual Printer

10) No error 0x81000037 when performing a Windows backup on a clean install of Windows 10 like on Windows 7 that I've experienced oh some many times because there not enough room to create a VS copy of the boot partition

And then there's the Windows Store. Not many useful apps, again YMMV, but I do like a few of the apps like the ESPN app, don't really use Pandora much, but when I do it with the WIN10 app, and I like the unofficial TWiT TV apps that allow me to stream to my PC and then using the magic of DLNA, send it to my AV Receiver so I can watch on my big screen. I find the Task Manager to be much improved as well. I don't use them personally, but Virtual Desktops may be of use to some people, as well as the One Drive integration which I don't use either. There is also Windows Hello and Continuum if you have supported devices and Direct X 12 if you are a gamer. And while I can't say for sure, since everything I own and use is only 1080p, I would imagine better scaling for extremely high rez displays. Battery life on laptops is not a big deal for me since I'm plugged in 99% of the time, but I have seen battery life improvements with Windows 10 over 7, but most of it is probably attributed to upgrading from HDDs to SSDs.

There are countless oddball issues that my users at work come across on Windows 7 (like how having the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer enabled can mess things up that aren't related to anything) that are nonexistent in Windows 10. And I usually try my best to recreate different scenarios using Windows 7 in a VM at home to rule out the possibility that it's an issue unique to how things are configured at work. I'm sure there are a few strange issues in Windows 10 as well, but Windows 7 can just be downright annoying at times with documented issues that have never been fixed but are not present in 8, 8.1 or 10.

Yes, I realize that there are many third party solutions to some of the things I mentioned. Display Fusion for multiple display customization, RoboCopy for copying files, CutePDF for Print To PDF. I'm not averse to using third party software to personalize Personal Computers. These are not locked down fruit computers, these are PCs that should be customizable, either natively or with third party tools. I’ve used Classic Shell within in months of it’s release because I cannot stand the Windows 7 Style Start Menu, and MS removed the ability to go back to the old one. But from a management stand point, it’s easier for me and my users if things like ISO mounting, printing to PDF and being able to robustly copy extremely large amounts of data didn’t require additional software.

All of four of my own Windows 10 installs and all of the Windows 10 installs that I've done for others have been clean installs, and have resulted in very little to no problems. Never ever would I do an upgrade install of an operating system. Clean install is the only way to go.

to update this topic, the only problem i have left is sometimes when i turn on mine pc, i get half of screen and half of black screen, until i manual fix it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts