Windows 7: A rebadged, much better Vista?

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
TG Daily - Windows 7: A rebadged, much better Vista?

Chicago (IL) – As we are patiently waiting to take Windows 7 for a test drive later this month, Microsoft is cautious about promising too much and is making sure that expectations remain low. According to CEO Steve Ballmer, Windows 7 will essentially be Vista, but “a lot better”.

In fact, when the executive said that Windows 7 would be a Windows Vista with a cleaner interface and performance interface, it may sound like Windows 7 is much more a service pack than a major operating system release Ballmer claims Windows 7 will be. But then, Ballmer also said that “Vista is good” and if he ran another company, he would not wait for Windows 7, but deploy Windows Vista right away.

We are officially confused. Windows 7 is what appears to be an extensive Windows Vista service pack and its new features may not be worth the wait. But it is a major operating system release?

Apparently, Ballmer made those remarks during a question and answer session with Gartner analyst Neil MacDonald, who asked the Microsoft executive how Microsoft would position Windows 7 as a new product, without offering too much or too little in terms of new features.

Microsoft is providing clues that Windows 7 indeed will be a fix for Windows Vista, but the company avoids to tie the new software to the old. The name “Windows 7” is not consistent with any Microsoft product branding strategy over the past 15 years, but was chosen for reasons of simplicity and, according to Microsoft, this new operating system will be the seventh generation of Windows (which has been questioned by some as Windows 7 could be considered the eighth or even ninth generation of Windows).

For now, it is safe to say that we are underwhelmed, but we are looking forward to see Windows 7 later this month and see how much better it is in comparison to Vista.

no, that's why they're calling it "Windows 7" instead of "Vista service pack 3" - so they can package it in a box and sell it in the store rather than as a free download.

by the way, "Windows 7" is going to be "Version 6.1" for whatever that's worth.

no, that's why they're calling it "Windows 7" instead of "Vista service pack 3" - so they can package it in a box and sell it in the store rather than as a free download.

by the way, "Windows 7" is going to be "Version 6.1" for whatever that's worth.

I agree it is a big rip off that they are doing W7 instead of SP3.

You will not believe it but since my son started college and needed a new Laptop, I gave in to Vista. Decided to buy the system builders version off of newegg. I wonder what is "better" about version 7? What pisses me off is all of the old printers that suddenly have problems with Vista. There is just no reason for it.

Why give this a major version number? If this is just an improved Vista (since this is built off the Vista kernel), why not call it 6.1?

You will not believe it but since my son started college and needed a new Laptop, I gave in to Vista. Decided to buy the system builders version off of newegg. I wonder what is "better" about version 7? What pisses me off is all of the old printers that suddenly have problems with Vista. There is just no reason for it.

One :rolleyes: of the problems with Vista is that perfectly working old printers, scanners and cameras to mention a few do not work with Vista. Therefore you would have to purchase new gear. Many manufacturers refuse to develop new drivers for the old stuff and rather have you buy the new gear.

I fully understand your frustration.

And even setting up printers can be a problem- even with Vista drivers that work on other Vista machines. Sometimes Vista just doesn't "see" the printer on the network, even when other XP Pro & other Vista machines do.

Installing using the IP seems to usually work.

One :rolleyes: of the problems with Vista is that perfectly working old printers, scanners and cameras to mention a few do not work with Vista. Therefore you would have to purchase new gear. Many manufacturers refuse to develop new drivers for the old stuff and rather have you buy the new gear.

I fully understand your frustration.
Vista can see my Hp PSC 750 but it doesnt respond to the scan button. So I have to leave the printer attached to an XP machine if I want to scan. I love this printer and it is as good as the day I bought it. I am not going to change. I currently leave it attached to an old XP laptop in very low power mode so it works as a server. But the situation is ridiculous IMO, that you lose some printers functions in just one upgrade of windows versions. I often think that the software people are paid off by the hardware people to create these problems so more hardware will be sold.

And even setting up printers can be a problem- even with Vista drivers that work on other Vista machines. Sometimes Vista just doesn't "see" the printer on the network, even when other XP Pro & other Vista machines do.

Installing using the IP seems to usually work.
Inorder to get my networked printer to work corectly with Microsoft WORD in vista, the printer has to be installed as a local printer and a new port created on each laptop or PC. go figure. No such problem in XP. :rolleyes:

AS far as the Vista OS goes.... why even make a 64 bit IE for vista if it cant play video and etc off youtube? Learning all kinds of things about this Vista in the month Ive had it.

Vista can see my Hp PSC 750 but it doesnt respond to the scan button. So I have to leave the printer attached to an XP machine if I want to scan. I love this printer and it is as good as the day I bought it. I am not going to change. I currently leave it attached to an old XP laptop in very low power mode so it works as a server. But the situation is ridiculous IMO, that you lose some printers functions in just one upgrade of windows versions. I often think that the software people are paid off by the hardware people to create these problems so more hardware will be sold.

I totally agree with you! IMHO there must have been an inside deal between Microsoft and the Manufacturers to push new gear.

It's a passive agressive way to make perfectly functioning hardware obsolete instantly....

I remember the good old days when Windows 95 and Windows 98 were bought in the first week by me because of all the cool feature adds... My equipment worked fairly well afterwards, although older machines ran a little slower....

Nowadays, I will never buy the upgrades.... I stick with whatever version comes preinstalled on the PC or laptop when I buy it...... Too many headaches otherwise....

Yep. Windows is too bloated, it simply can't keep on much longer, what with trying to maintain backward compatibility.

Time for a clean sheet of paper and a fresh start.

I totally understand the rebranding strategy in spite of the fact that Windows 7 is just a new, improved version of Vista. Vista has such a bad name and reputation, it gets ripped on in all the Mac commercials. One thing I like about Windows 7 is the claim that it will require less memory. I'll have to wait and see, but if it is the product Vista should have been, I think I'll hold off on any new PC purchases until early 2010 when it's due out.

Morons! They just Osborned themselves..... Now people will wait until 2010 for THIS supposed Jesus code......

It's a passive agressive way to make perfectly functioning hardware obsolete instantly....

I must have missed the part where you were forced to upgrade.

I actually like Vista. I run it on my office and home machines, and my laptop. Never had a problem really.

But on my video editing system- my income generator- I'm still running XP. Just in case. Why fix something that isn't broken?

I did have an old Semperon laptop that got a bit bogged down under Vista. I didn't declare the laptop obsolete. I just switched it back to XP.

Admittedly, Vista was irritating in the early days due to driver issues. But you know what? I never ran across any hardware that I couldn't make work, including a VERY old Minolta film scanner that had Win 98 drivers. It just took some patience.

I even managed to make a Bluetooth PC Card work on my laptop, even though it "required" a specific Bluetooth stack that would NOT install. I believe even the manufacturer claimed it was totally incompatable with Vista.

I am not a programmer, or hacker, or computer expert. I was simply willing to look for answers.

If you bought the software as an impulse purchase, you might find out after you tried to install it that your printer, video card, and sound card don't work right anymore....

THAT'S what I meant.... Meanwhile, after you tried to install it, you can't return it to the store for a refund....

My only point is that I have stopped buying upgrade operating system products from MS. I wait for it to show up on my new PC purchases....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts