Windows 7 Beta in October

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
TG Daily - Windows 7 Beta in October, final in June 2009?

Software
By Samantha Rose, Wolfgang Gruener
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 09:44
vote nowBuzz up!

Redmond (WA) – Microsoft is apparently aiming to close the Vista chapter rather sooner than later and if we believe the latest wave of rumors, Microsoft will beat even the adjusted schedule by two quarters and launch the new operating system in mid-2009 with the first beta due next month.

According to an article published by Computerworld, Microsoft may roll out the first beta at one of its upcoming developer conferences – which would be the Professional Developers Conference (PDC, October 27-30) and the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC, November 5-7). Directions on Microsoft analyst Michael Cherry believes that WinHEC is the more likely introduction environment, since it is a “small grouping by number.”

"When that many developers [come] together, you want them to go home with something that they can play with," Cherry told Computerworld. "Microsoft will want to do more than just tell developers about Windows 7."

Internetnews is reporting that developer builds of Vista have been available for some time. The current release schedule indicates that Windows 7 is planned to be released on June 3, 2009, according to the article.

Microsoft has yet to make any comments regarding the software release or the release of the beta or final version, but should the rumors be true it would be warmly accepted among users currently disappointed and unhappy with the performance of Windows Vista. Officially, Microsoft maintains that Windows 7 is planned for a 2010 debut. In January of this year, TG Daily reported that Windows 7 would debut in H2 2009. We were not able to confirm the Internetnews article with our sources, but if this report reflects actual deadlines, it means that Microsoft has dramatically accelerated the launch schedule of Windows 7.

Regardless the actual release date, the hopes are that Windows 7 will offer compelling features and a smooth transition, unlike the one experienced by users who made the switch from XP to Vista.

The core platform of Windows 7 will be very similar to Vista's. It is generally expected that this new operating system will be an evolutionary step above Vista and not the dramatic step many would have expected. In fact, we previously outlined our reasons to believe that Windows 7 will be a transitional operating system, much like it was the case with Windows 98 SE or Windows SE – an operating system that will help Microsoft to stabilize apparently declining unit shipment growth and correct what is describe as an upgrade disaster for Vista.

As the puzzle comes together, Windows 7 shapes up to become a major patch for Vista that is packed with feature additions such as multi-touch for touchscreens, but it won’t be an entirely new operating system. That, we hear, will be ready in the 2011-2012 time frame. And pretty much everything we are told points directly to a development platform that is based on Microsoft’s Singularity software.

Last month, Microsoft said that it would reveal Windows 7's features in Septembe

Overall to me sounds like 7 just going to be another version of vista overall Vista rocks really nothing wrong with it. 7 sounds like it going to have a few more things but not much my advice is just use Vista I have used it for awhile now and have many useres using it with out no issues. If folks want to wait for 7 thats fine but to me it seems it's still Vista maybe just a few differences so we will see. Just my 2 cents.

So much for those who hoped that Vista would eventually become everything that Microsoft promised it would be several years ago.

Here's hoping that they've got the marketing wheels spinning on a suitable name for the new O/S as that may be one of Vista's biggest flaws.

It would be good PR for MS if they did like 98SE very small price to get the update CD. Nothing is more irritating than to pay to fix an OS.

Yeah well overall Vista is fine I have been moving more users over to it without any issues. So to me it's not that big of a deal not the 1st time for OS's to come out just like with any new version of software.

It seems to be getting better and I can use it most of the time without issue now. I am liking it more and more, just as long as it works with all the hardware I connect it to and that it functions NORMALLY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)