Windows Phone Smokes Android, But Can't Sell

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Windows Phone Smokes Android, But Can't Sell | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

The most stunning result from our huge Reader's Choice survey of smartphone users is how much people love Windows Phone 7. Windows Phone 7 scores higher in almost every category than market leader Android, and beats Apple's iOS for email, Web browsing, and gaming.Windows Phone 7 owners love their phones. Apparently, they're willing to recommend them: Windows Phone 7 got a "likelihood to recommend" score of 8.8, head and shoulders over Android and BlackBerry. But Windows Phone 7 sales aren't taking off. According to Strategy Analytics, 2.7 million Windows Phones were sold in the last quarter of 2011, dwarfed by Apple's 37 million iPhones and an even larger number of Android phones.

Will be curious to see if the push by AT&T makes a difference here.

I think the article is pretty spot on on a couple of points though when it comes to why people dont buy them. Lack of a carrier pushing them, and the salespeople doing the same. I know I said before when I had mine, the salesperson tried to talk me out of buying it in favor of a droid set I had already had. When I said no, I already had that one, she mentioned another droid. I told her that I had owned or used every droid that they offered, and wanted to try something different. After I said that, she mentioned that she would also like to try the WP7, but Cell South (now Cspire) required their salespeople to use and promote android (this is before they got the iPhone, now it is shifted to that).

WP sounds intriguing and most reviews I've read have actually been rather positive and promising, but WP isn't helped by the sins of it's predecessors (as undeserving as they may be) and very lacking app support. Maybe once my contract runs out I'll give WP a look but for now I'm more than satisfied with my Android.

On the apps, yeah, the sheer number is not on par with android or iOS, but the quality is pretty good, and the ones that most use are there.
The main ones I found lacking were the message service apps, it was wayyyyy behind in that regard.
Of course there are now alot more available now than when I had mine, so that may not be an issue anymore.

get more apps and one day i may consider it. in the meantime its android and iOS for me on phones and tablets. windows for PC.

get more apps and one day i may consider it. in the meantime its android and iOS for me on phones and tablets. windows for PC.
Are there specific apps missing that you have to have? Or do you mean in general?

I would have considered a Windows Phone 7...if I wasn't stuck having to use an outdating Windows Mobile phone for years and years to the point where I finally got sick of it and purchased an Android. I love it! People don't want a Windows Phone mainly because Microsoft fell asleep at the mobile wheel. Of course, I would gladly take one...if it were provided free-of-charge and Microsoft were to pay my phone bill. Until then, they'll have to pry my HTC EVO from my cold dead hand.

I think too many people have too much experience with products associated with that "W" word to have a warm feeling about yet one more such product.

Windows phones are like WebOs phones.. Combined they have like 1000 apps and cant compete with Android and or iPhones. Plain and simple, people want and use apps more then making calls.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Windows phones are like WebOs phones.. Combined they have like 1000 apps and cant compete with Android and or iPhones. Plain and simple, people want and use apps more then making calls.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Per the article, it is 65,000+ apps and growing.
As I said, the main ones are there, or were when I tried it.

Yes android (and apple) offer more apps, but I found that many are less than useless and only made trying to find what I actually did want more cumbersome. Dont get me wrong, its great to have a wide selection, but if you can get what you want (for the most part), what does it matter if it is 1,000 or 100,000?

msmith:

its all in your your use cases. what you consider main is likely different than me .

ssh server? ssh client? network analysis tools? wifi analyzers? command line interface? wifi hotspot?

All of these are my main tools and are free from google play.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Some of those are available, I have no idea if all are though. I am also not sure if all of them are available on android without root access, which makes a difference to the average consumer, which most of us are not.

I did use my personal experience, because I have nothing else to go on, and I mentioned the main ones that the average consumer will want. Those include facebook, twitter, angry birds,amazon, ebay, netflix, ect. The main and most popular apps are available across the platforms, WP7 is no exception. With right at 70,000 apps available, I would imagine that even beyond the most popular is covered quite well.

Obviously for the most customization options, wp7, and iOS is not the way to go. For that you want android, and even further, you want to be rooted.

For those that want the smoothest stock experience possible (even smoother than most if not all custom), then iOS or WP7 is the way to go (android is smooth, but it still is not as smooth as those two, at least IMO).

For the average consumer, it offers a "buttery smooth" interface, and access to the most popular apps out there, with the list growing at a very fast rate.

Last edited:
Consumers ignore most apps on their smartphones

Faster data networks and fancier phones have steered more Americans to embrace the apps software craze born of our fondness for the computer-in-my-pocket. But like other shopping experiences done impulsively, the appeal of instantly downloading the latest apps — prompted by recommendations from neighbors, cousins, blogs and news stories — loses its luster quickly, industry data show.
Of smartphone owners, 68% open only five or fewer apps at least once a week, finds a survey by the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project.

Perhaps the sheer number of apps IS overrated?

John Kotches said:
How many programs does a typical user open on their computer in a week beyond e-mail and their browser?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Most likely not many, which is my point in relation to the number of apps and your typical user.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts